Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:56 am

dream_017 wrote:Right now I just find it funny:
Big 10 - 12 teams
Big 12 - 10 teams

don't forget:
Pac 10 - 11 teams

:-[

I still want to see the 4 - 16 team mega conferences

The BCS disagrees with you. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I still want to see the 4 - 16 team mega conferences

I've disagreed with the BCS for years...so, it's OK ;-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm

The latest on the Big 12 = Texas and the rest of the South agreed to stay, mostly because at the 11th hour in negotiations with the Pac-10, Texas threw a demand in whereby they get to have their own TV network (their goal all along) and revenue isn't split equally amongst all schools. The Pac-10/Big 12 South negotiations had centered around a Big 10-like revenue sharing model for months. Suddenly Texas throws this demand in and the Pac-10 said, "No, thank you."

So suddenly Texas is super duper excited to stay in the Big 12, which it wanted all along, and oh by the way Colorado and Nebraska you owe us a penalty for leaving the conference.

But the plot thickens. The little itty bitty schools, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Baylor, will have to fork over to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M their share of the Nebraska and Colorado penalty money, according to SI's Stewart Mandel.

This conference is a time bomb. This "solution" is merely postponing the inevitable. Sooner or later, the Big 12 will fall apart. I'm betting sooner.

PS - Don't expect Nebraska or Colorado to pay the Big 12 a dime. They'll get all lawyered up and this will languish in court until the Big 12 disbands, making the whole thing moot.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I still want to see the 4 - 16 team mega conferences

Me too. Still, I'm not sure I want to see super conferences. That just pushes college ball closer to a full blown playoff system. I'm down with a plus one, or or plus 3, or even a plus 7 after the bowl games, but I don't want the bowl system scrapped for a playoff system. I used to lean more toward a playoff system but now I'm mush less in support of one. I don't want to see college football turned into a mirror of the NFL. College football is unique and I like it that way. :-?
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 pm

knapplc wrote:The latest on the Big 12 = Texas and the rest of the South agreed to stay, mostly because at the 11th hour in negotiations with the Pac-10, Texas threw a demand in whereby they get to have their own TV network (their goal all along) and revenue isn't split equally amongst all schools. The Pac-10/Big 12 South negotiations had centered around a Big 10-like revenue sharing model for months. Suddenly Texas throws this demand in and the Pac-10 said, "No, thank you."

So suddenly Texas is super duper excited to stay in the Big 12, which it wanted all along, and oh by the way Colorado and Nebraska you owe us a penalty for leaving the conference.

But the plot thickens. The little itty bitty schools, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Baylor, will have to fork over to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M their share of the Nebraska and Colorado penalty money, according to SI's Stewart Mandel.

This conference is a time bomb. This "solution" is merely postponing the inevitable. Sooner or later, the Big 12 will fall apart. I'm betting sooner.

PS - Don't expect Nebraska or Colorado to pay the Big 12 a dime. They'll get all lawyered up and this will languish in court until the Big 12 disbands, making the whole thing moot.

Yeah the more I read about this the more I feel, as a Pac 10 fan, we lucked out. Good riddance. :-[
Metroid

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Me too. Still, I'm not sure I want to see super conferences. That just pushes college ball closer to a full blown playoff system. I'm down with a plus one, or or plus 3, or even a plus 7 after the bowl games, but I don't want the bowl system scrapped for a playoff system. I used to lean more toward a playoff system but now I'm mush less in support of one. I don't want to see college football turned into a mirror of the NFL. College football is unique and I like it that way. :-?

It should be pretty easy to have the best of both worlds. Let's just say for this argument we have 4 16-team conferences. That would equate to 4 conference championships at the end of the regular season - not much different than most conferences have now (set those 4 winners aside). You still have your Bowl games - Las Vegas Bowl, Little Caesars Bowl, Emerald Bowl, etc, just as you normally would. Then those 4 teams that you set aside would play in a playoff (3 Bowl games), you could rotate which Bowls(Rose/Fiesta/Orange/Sugar) are played each year - the left out bowl could still have the best 2 teams that lost in the conference championships. Seems pretty easy to me :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I've disagreed with the BCS for years...so, it's OK ;-)

It should be pretty easy to have the best of both worlds. Let's just say for this argument we have 4 16-team conferences. That would equate to 4 conference championships at the end of the regular season - not much different than most conferences have now (set those 4 winners aside). You still have your Bowl games - Las Vegas Bowl, Little Caesars Bowl, Emerald Bowl, etc, just as you normally would. Then those 4 teams that you set aside would play in a playoff (3 Bowl games), you could rotate which Bowls(Rose/Fiesta/Orange/Sugar) are played each year - the left out bowl could still have the best 2 teams that lost in the conference championships. Seems pretty easy to me :-?

I don't like that, honestly I don't want any other team playing in the Rose Bowl that isn't in the Pac 10 or the Big 10. I'd rather they just play through exactly they way they do now. Then after the bowl games take the winners of say the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar and have a plus 3. I'd be down with something like that. :-?
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Screw Texas and screw the Big 12. I was just watching a segment on ESPN and the Big 12 commissioner just completely ripped the Pac 10, their facilities, and their fan base. What the hell kind of douchebag is this guy? Right, it's the Pac 10's fault you've let a prima donna program completely hijack your conference and nearly blow it up. :-?
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Is the Big 12 Commissioner crazy? What could possibly be the point of releasing a letter that vitriolic?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Have you noticed who has been very silent about all of this? Tom Osborne and Harvey Perlman (Nebraska's Chancellor) stated their case when they announced we would seek Big 10 membership. They laid it all out there, they were not mean-spirited, but they were very honest, and since then they've shut up. Because it's not in Nebraska's nature to be spiteful or hateful, or to throw anyone under the bus. They set the record straight, and that was it.

But since that presser, the remainder of the Big 12 has been ripping Nebraska and anyone else they can think of to shreds. It should be crystal clear after all of this stuff has come out, after the observed behavior, why Nebraska severed a century of conference ties.

And I have to say that I have been completely overwhelmed by the response from Big 10 fans from all teams. The rancor you're seeing from the Big 12 is matched in reverse by the friendliness and openness of fans from Michigan, OSU, MSU, Penn State, Wisconsin (have to remember to call them Wiscy), Iowa, Minnesota... everyone. They've all been great. Some of that will change when competition starts, but for now they're making it easy to forget the Big 12's shenanigans.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football