Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 am

I just realized knapp...our teams will soon have the opportunity to meet in the Rose Bowl, I'll see you there. B-)
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:14 pm

knapplc wrote:The little itty bitty schools, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Baylor, will have to fork over to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M their share of the Nebraska and Colorado penalty money, according to SI's Stewart Mandel.


Apparently that was a false report, and the five remaining Big 12 North teams only offered to give them revenue, not exit money. I'm not sure how much better that is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/06/16/kansas-big12.ap/index.html

But I agree with you knapp. I think that eventually something has to give with the southern schools pretty much running the conference. I think that the Big 12 North schools were all scared of the prospect of having to join the Mountain West and potentially losing out on the exposure and revenue that the Big 12 receives. Being in a conference that is pretty much run by Texas sucks a lot, but being in one that doesn't get an automatic BCS bid would probably be worse.

If the Mountain West or Conference USA or some other conference that would make sense for the Big 12 North teams to join ever gets a BCS bid and some sufficient revenue, that could be the tipping point for the Big 12. Half of the conference still despises the power Texas has and that their interests aren't represented enough. The problem is that they don't have any better options at this point. Once another conference gives them that option, the Big 12 is probably toast.

It probably already would be if the Big 10 didn't want to dilly dally so much with expansion plans, thus forcing Mizzou officials to decide now whether they wanted to commit to a 10-team Big 12 or roll the dice with the Big 10, with the penalty being having to join the Mountain West or Conference USA if the Big 10 declines and ruining their relationships with Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St. and Baylor for royally screwing them over.

For the record, I think all the animosity toward Nebraska and Colorado is completely stupid and probably motivated by jealousy. I want Mizzou to leave the Big 12 for the same reasons that those two schools left: another conference can offer equal respect among conference peers (something the Big 12 sorely, sorely lacks) and more money than the Big 12. Nebraska and Colorado have much, much better situations now than they did before, and I don't blame them at all for leaving. I wish it was Mizzou leaving instead/also, but Nebraska was a better choice for the Big 10.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Metroid wrote:I just realized knapp...our teams will soon have the opportunity to meet in the Rose Bowl, I'll see you there. B-)


A cafe gathering. You think Knapp will still be our friend?
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Metroid wrote:I just realized knapp...our teams will soon have the opportunity to meet in the Rose Bowl, I'll see you there. B-)


A cafe gathering. You think Knapp will still be our friend?

I think so...maybe not from kickoff till the whistle is blown...but the rest of the time sure. :-b
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:05 am

And then there were 12.

SALT LAKE CITY -- SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah's road to the BCS just became a lot less complicated.

As the newest member of the Pac-10, the Utes will be playing for a guaranteed spot in one of college football's elite bowl games rather than hoping to sneak in with an at-large berth -- as they've done twice before.

Utah officially joined the Pac-10 on Thursday, leaving the Mountain West Conference for the prestige and more lucrative opportunities of a league where things such as the Heisman Trophy, Final Four and national titles are distinct possibilities instead of long shots.

"Today is an absolutely great day to be a Ute," athletic director Chris Hill said Thursday before he was interrupted by applause during a news conference.

The Pac-10 invited Utah to join the league on Wednesday and university President Michael Young officially signed on in front of a crowd of elated boosters a day later.


I'll ask again, anyone want to make any predictions on how the conference will be divided into divisions now that the Pac 10 has the necessary 12 for a title game?

Oh and I really hope they don't change the conference title, "The Pac 10" is fine the way it is. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 am

Metroid wrote:Oh and I really hope they don't change the conference title, "The Pac 10" is fine the way it is. ;-D

It will be interesting how they treat the names ,especially since the 2 with 10 in the name have 12 teams and the conference with 12 in the name has 10 teams. I'd like them to keep the names too :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Sandrock » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 am

Metroid wrote:And then there were 12.

SALT LAKE CITY -- SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah's road to the BCS just became a lot less complicated.

As the newest member of the Pac-10, the Utes will be playing for a guaranteed spot in one of college football's elite bowl games rather than hoping to sneak in with an at-large berth -- as they've done twice before.

Utah officially joined the Pac-10 on Thursday, leaving the Mountain West Conference for the prestige and more lucrative opportunities of a league where things such as the Heisman Trophy, Final Four and national titles are distinct possibilities instead of long shots.

"Today is an absolutely great day to be a Ute," athletic director Chris Hill said Thursday before he was interrupted by applause during a news conference.

The Pac-10 invited Utah to join the league on Wednesday and university President Michael Young officially signed on in front of a crowd of elated boosters a day later.


I'll ask again, anyone want to make any predictions on how the conference will be divided into divisions now that the Pac 10 has the necessary 12 for a title game?

Oh and I really hope they don't change the conference title, "The Pac 10" is fine the way it is. ;-D


I say Zipper with the natural rival always one of the out of division games. This way everyone always gets a pivotal game in Southern Cal at least every other year which is vital for recruiting purposes.

Pac-10 Pacific Division

Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, California, UCLA, Arizona

Pac-10 Mountain Division

Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Stanford, USC, Arizona State
Image
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:31 am

Sandrock wrote:
Metroid wrote:And then there were 12.

SALT LAKE CITY -- SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah's road to the BCS just became a lot less complicated.

As the newest member of the Pac-10, the Utes will be playing for a guaranteed spot in one of college football's elite bowl games rather than hoping to sneak in with an at-large berth -- as they've done twice before.

Utah officially joined the Pac-10 on Thursday, leaving the Mountain West Conference for the prestige and more lucrative opportunities of a league where things such as the Heisman Trophy, Final Four and national titles are distinct possibilities instead of long shots.

"Today is an absolutely great day to be a Ute," athletic director Chris Hill said Thursday before he was interrupted by applause during a news conference.

The Pac-10 invited Utah to join the league on Wednesday and university President Michael Young officially signed on in front of a crowd of elated boosters a day later.


I'll ask again, anyone want to make any predictions on how the conference will be divided into divisions now that the Pac 10 has the necessary 12 for a title game?

Oh and I really hope they don't change the conference title, "The Pac 10" is fine the way it is. ;-D


I say Zipper with the natural rival always one of the out of division games. This way everyone always gets a pivotal game in Southern Cal at least every other year which is vital for recruiting purposes.

Pac-10 Pacific Division

Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, California, UCLA, Arizona

Pac-10 Mountain Division

Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Stanford, USC, Arizona State

I like the idea of a zipper format but what makes you think you Oregon State will get Washington in their division? Oregon/Washington is a much bigger rivalry game than Oregon St./Wash. I don't want to lose that game every year. I'd like to see the format above as well, except flip the Wash. schools. :-B

I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see a North/South split either, the schools in the North would be livid if this happens.
Pac-10 North Division

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, California, Stanford

Pac-10 South Division

UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah

Equally important, where is the Championship Game held? California or Arizona sounds like a nice idea weather wise, but that would give the schools from those states an unfair advantage, especially the Cali schools if it were in Cali somewhere. It has to be at a neutral site or the site has to rotate regionally based on a predetermined schedule.

What about playing the title game in Nevada? Regionally it makes sense, it's a "neutral" state close to all the schools. Unfortunately the only stadiums in Nevada that could hold a title game for the Pac is either at UNLV's Sam Boyd stadium or at UNR's Mackay Stadium. Neither are very alluring to say the least. The revenue generated from the title game could produce a new stadium in the future though...no? :-?

I have two other thoughts for the title game. First, somewhere in Texas. How bout Jerry Jones new baby? That would be pretty sweet. ;-D

Or what about Hawaii? I wouldn't mind traveling to Hawaii in December for a title game. :-B
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 am

Oh and the only name change I would support would be if they put the 12 in front of Pacific, to make the 12-Pac. :-B
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Metroid wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
Metroid wrote:And then there were 12.



I'll ask again, anyone want to make any predictions on how the conference will be divided into divisions now that the Pac 10 has the necessary 12 for a title game?

Oh and I really hope they don't change the conference title, "The Pac 10" is fine the way it is. ;-D


I say Zipper with the natural rival always one of the out of division games. This way everyone always gets a pivotal game in Southern Cal at least every other year which is vital for recruiting purposes.

Pac-10 Pacific Division

Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, California, UCLA, Arizona

Pac-10 Mountain Division

Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Stanford, USC, Arizona State

I like the idea of a zipper format but what makes you think you Oregon State will get Washington in their division? Oregon/Washington is a much bigger rivalry game than Oregon St./Wash. I don't want to lose that game every year. I'd like to see the format above as well, except flip the Wash. schools. :-B

I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see a North/South split either, the schools in the North would be livid if this happens.
Pac-10 North Division

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, California, Stanford

Pac-10 South Division

UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah

Equally important, where is the Championship Game held? California or Arizona sounds like a nice idea weather wise, but that would give the schools from those states an unfair advantage, especially the Cali schools if it were in Cali somewhere. It has to be at a neutral site or the site has to rotate regionally based on a predetermined schedule.

What about playing the title game in Nevada? Regionally it makes sense, it's a "neutral" state close to all the schools. Unfortunately the only stadiums in Nevada that could hold a title game for the Pac is either at UNLV's Sam Boyd stadium or at UNR's Mackay Stadium. Neither are very alluring to say the least. The revenue generated from the title game could produce a new stadium in the future though...no? :-?

I have two other thoughts for the title game. First, somewhere in Texas. How bout Jerry Jones new baby? That would be pretty sweet. ;-D

Or what about Hawaii? I wouldn't mind traveling to Hawaii in December for a title game. :-B


My guess for host, at early on, is probably Glendale, if only because they have the ritziest digs of any town in the conference. It won't be an unfair advantage either, because Lord knows ASU ain't headed to no Pac-12 (My guess? They'll change just like they did when the Arizona schools joined) Title game ANY time soon.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:57 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact