Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Expansions! Expansions!! EXPANSIONS!!!!

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
I say Zipper with the natural rival always one of the out of division games. This way everyone always gets a pivotal game in Southern Cal at least every other year which is vital for recruiting purposes.

Pac-10 Pacific Division

Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, California, UCLA, Arizona

Pac-10 Mountain Division

Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Stanford, USC, Arizona State

I like the idea of a zipper format but what makes you think you Oregon State will get Washington in their division? Oregon/Washington is a much bigger rivalry game than Oregon St./Wash. I don't want to lose that game every year. I'd like to see the format above as well, except flip the Wash. schools. :-B

I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see a North/South split either, the schools in the North would be livid if this happens.
Pac-10 North Division

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, California, Stanford

Pac-10 South Division

UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah

Equally important, where is the Championship Game held? California or Arizona sounds like a nice idea weather wise, but that would give the schools from those states an unfair advantage, especially the Cali schools if it were in Cali somewhere. It has to be at a neutral site or the site has to rotate regionally based on a predetermined schedule.

What about playing the title game in Nevada? Regionally it makes sense, it's a "neutral" state close to all the schools. Unfortunately the only stadiums in Nevada that could hold a title game for the Pac is either at UNLV's Sam Boyd stadium or at UNR's Mackay Stadium. Neither are very alluring to say the least. The revenue generated from the title game could produce a new stadium in the future though...no? :-?

I have two other thoughts for the title game. First, somewhere in Texas. How bout Jerry Jones new baby? That would be pretty sweet. ;-D

Or what about Hawaii? I wouldn't mind traveling to Hawaii in December for a title game. :-B

My guess for host, at early on, is probably Glendale, if only because they have the ritziest digs of any town in the conference. It won't be an unfair advantage either, because Lord knows ASU ain't headed to no Pac-12 (My guess? They'll change just like they did when the Arizona schools joined) Title game ANY time soon.

First off, Sup Kilroy! Good to see you. B-)

Second, no way should it be in Arizona, or California, or Oregon, or Washington...etc. I don't care if ASU sucks now, there's a chance they would have an unfair advantage, cant have that. It has to be at a neutral location or rotate locations based on a predetermined schedule (sorta like the NFL does, except all schools would be in the rotation). I like the idea of the second option but it doesn't seem realistic. Have to find a neutral location somewhere. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 pm

It's set up that way because it splits the dominant parts of the regional rivalries down the middle. I've split the league into four team blocks and divided the perceived dominant and secondary partners of each natural rivalry inside the block into separate divisions.

North Block

Washington (dominant) Washington State (secondary)

Oregon (dominant) Oregon State (secondary)

East Block

Colorado (dominant) Utah (secondary)

Arizona (secondary) Arizona State (dominant)

California Block

UCLA (secondary) USC (dominant)

California (dominant) Stanford (secondary)

You might disagree with me on whom the dominant and secondary parts of each natural rivalry are, but I'm basing it off attendance, money, national prestige and football record over the last 20 years. I understand that Stanford has a million more national championships than Cal, but this is only football. So, splitting the dominant and secondary partners of each block apart, we are given divisions that look like this:

Pac-10 Pacific Division

Washington (dominant), Oregon State (secondary), Colorado (dominant), Arizona (secondary), California (dominant), UCLA (secondary)

Pac-10 Mountain

Washington State (secondary), Oregon (dominant), Utah (secondary), Arizona State (dominant), Stanford (secondary), USC (dominant)

Of course you could mix it up a bit as long as no two secondary or dominant parts of each block are playing in the same division.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 am

I see what you're doing and that makes sense. I still don't like the idea of not playing Washington every year but I guess that might be part of the "give" to get a championship game in our league. Any thought's on where the game should be held?
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Vegas or Northern California.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Sandrock wrote:Vegas or Northern California.

I'm down with Vegas, It should not be anywhere in Cali though.
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Metroid wrote:

Not anywhere in Southern California. I'm hesitant to say no to Northern California because if it's not in Vegas (which is a large enough attraction in itself) it's the most neutrally located site in terms of travel that boasts a large stadium and town to promote travel.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 am

Sandrock wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Not anywhere in Southern California. I'm hesitant to say no to Northern California because if it's not in Vegas (which is a large enough attraction in itself) it's the most neutrally located site in terms of travel that boasts a large stadium and town to promote travel.

It may be neutrally located, but it's not a neutral site. I'd say Glendale is indeed more neutral than Northern Cali in that sense, and I don't like the sound of it being played in AZ either. I like the Vegas idea, it makes the most sense. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:10 pm

The Rose Bowl. That's going to take some getting used to.

I've always been kind of down on the Rose Bowl. It seems so pretentious, "The Granddaddy of Them All," and all that. It always seemed like too big of a deal for a bowl that rarely played a role in the national title picture, and I especially loathed it when the Big 10 refused to join the Bowl Coalition (or whatever the pre-BCS thing was called) because of the Rose Bowl.

And now, if we can find some kind of offense, we could be legit contenders to represent the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl in just two years.

If that ain't freaky, nothing is. :-S
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Pretentious? It's the "Granddaddy of them all" because it's the oldest bowl game, first played in 1902. It isn't called that to insinuate that it's better than other bowl games, just that it's the oldest...hence "Granddaddy." ;-)

Some trivia,

-The first Rose Bowl was won by Michigan.

-USC has the most appearances(33) and wins(24) by a large margin.

-Twice in 1918 and 1919 were the two teams involved from military academies.

-6 of the first 8 Rosebowls were shoutouts, including a 0-0 tie between Cal and Washington & Jefferson in 1922. :-b
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Not pretentious because of the nickname, pretentious because of the exclusivity of it for most of my life, the importance that Big 10 and Pac-10 teams put on it, and how many times I was bashed over the head with it by the national media, when the fact is that it rarely played a role in the MNC chase.

I'm not saying it was a well-thought-out and rational impression, it was just the impression I had. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football