America's Fastest Recovering City = Omaha - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

America's Fastest Recovering City = Omaha

Moderator: Football Moderators

America's Fastest Recovering City = Omaha

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:14 pm

America's Fastest-Recovering Cities

Francesca Levy, 11.19.09, 04:00 PM EST

Though Omaha, Neb., seems second-rate to some, Warren Buffett may have been on to something when he chose it for the headquarters of his massive holding company, Berkshire Hathaway. According to our research, the city has hit upon a formula to weather the economic downturn better than any other in the country.

While no region has escaped the recession, in Omaha, three Texas metros, a handful of Northeastern manufacturing bases and select southern cities, diversified industry and relatively stable housing fundamentals have provided local residents with comparatively secure standards of living.

Omaha has had a healthy 1.3% gross metropolitan product (GMP) growth in the past year, and a low foreclosure rate (only one in every 3,246 housing units is in foreclosure), but it sails to the top spot on our list because of its unemployment rate: At 5%, the lowest of the metros we surveyed. Omaha's economy is less dependent on manufacturing than other Midwestern cities, and is boosted by a strong agriculture sector and growing biofuels industry. And while the city has a big stake in the financial industry--a factor that nearly spelled ruin for metros like New York--it doesn't specialize in the types of institutions that took big risks and chased exotic financial structures. Instead, it's home to roughly 30 insurance companies and regional banks like Mutual of Omaha.

cont'd

Link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: America's Fastest Recovering City = Omaha

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Omaha also has (or very recently had) the most millionaires per capita of any city in the U.S.

It's a groovy town. Meanwhile I live in Stinkin' Lincoln 50 miles away wasting my life in my nice house with my nice kitchen and my nice view... and nothing else going on. At. All. :-S
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Nice to know you lot have finished AA with relative ease. ;-)
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Anyway else so used to seeing the president's name everywhere that they thought the title of this said Obama?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:29 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Nice to know you lot have finished AA with relative ease. ;-)

I'm not in AA. I'm no quitter. :^
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:46 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Anyway else so used to seeing the president's name everywhere that they thought the title of this said Obama?

Obama's not a city. He's a president. Duh.

:-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:02 am

Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex at #6 on the list. :-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:03 am

I spent a few days in Omaha in 2004. I liked it. Nice city. The thing I remember most about it, and Nebraska in general, was how cheap everything was. I was living in the Bay Area at the time, and gas, meals, drinks, etc. were all literally half the cost in Nebraska. I stopped at some little bar and grill place in some little town and was able to get a burger, four beers, and tip for $20. That blew my mind.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I spent a few days in Omaha in 2004. I liked it. Nice city. The thing I remember most about it, and Nebraska in general, was how cheap everything was. I was living in the Bay Area at the time, and gas, meals, drinks, etc. were all literally half the cost in Nebraska. I stopped at some little bar and grill place in some little town and was able to get a burger, four beers, and tip for $20. That blew my mind.

I hear ya. We lived in Los Altos and Foster City from 1999 - 2001. Moving back to Nebraska was like getting a huge raise.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Lung » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Next

Return to General Talk