I am simply in shock - Long post - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

I am simply in shock - Long post

Moderator: Football Moderators

I am simply in shock - Long post

Postby TaDa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I got invited into my big money PPR league with 24 hours notice. Hardly had time to look at the rules or anything, so I took a look at the point totals from the year before as a guide to my drafting. Drew Brees was heads and shoulders above anyone else in scoring the year before. That got me to looking at the rules, and sure enough, pretty QB friendly scoring. So I show up at the draft, and land pick number 1. Well, I am one of the first people to say "Never take a QB in the first round", but something in my gut made me blurt out "Drew Brees" when it was time for the first pick. I caught so much crap from all the other players that it wasn't even funny. So now I have Brees and with pick 13 and 14, I take Clinton Portis and Kevin Smith. Next snake is Hines Ward and Dallas Clark. Anyways, I was pretty happy with my team for a PPR. Light at RB, but in PPR, I figured it could be compensated for.

So now, I start off 7-0 on the season before my first loss. No big deal, I move on. Then it happens. Portis goes down. Since this is 12 person league, RBs are horded. So I spend most of my salary cap on grabbing Ladell Betts. Well, that goes into the crapper with his torn up knee. I end up sending Portis, Betts, Kevin Smith, and Jamal Lewis to the waiver wire because they land on the IR.

Fast forward to yesterday. I end the season at 10-4. The injuries were taking their toll. I coasted into the 4 man playoffs mainly because of my initial wins. The last part of the year was brutal.

First week of the playoffs. I am going against a team that has Tom Brady, Joseph Addai, MBIII, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, Sidney Rice, Steve Smith (NYG), Dustin Keller, Tynes and the 49ers D/ST.

My starting lineup is Brees, Sammy Morris, Leonard Weaver (picked up off wires day before Thursday night game), Hines Ward, Santana Moss, Devery Henderson, Steve Breaston, Dallas Clark, Longwell, Vikings D/ST.

On paper, I was TOAST. His RBs are like Benz versus Hyundais. His WRs are better in every regard. I had a slight advantage at QB. I only had him clearly outranked at TE and D/ST.

Go figure, we end up tying and I win the week because of tie-breakers. HUGE difference in money getting knocked out first round versus next week.

I actually feel pretty guilty about this craptacular win, but I need to go buy some lottery tickets, because damn I got lucky.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: I am simply in shock - Long post

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 pm

A wins-a win ;-D ;-D Congrats.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Re: I am simply in shock - Long post

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:05 am

I hate you. :-D
I have run into that team too many times.
Great win for you, its what makes FFB like the real deal. Any given Sunday.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting