Return to General Talk

Merry Christmas everybody!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Merry Christmas everybody!

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Seriously though, I've shoveled my own driveway, or parts of it, 8 times now.

Two words: Snow Blower. Or maybe it's one word. I don't know. Either way, you need to get one. All our neighbors chipped in ten years ago and bought one. Everyone gets to use it and it is invaluable.

And I've used our neighbor's on occasion. It's great on the small fluffy stuff. Thing is, the shovel is fine for that stuff too. But the snowblower doesn't seem to work too well on anything over 6 inches and certainly not on the hard stuff. Maybe it's just a cheap model or something. I'm sure some day I'll have to cave and get one, but I'm hoping my back can hold up until my kid's old enough to do it all on his own. :-D

A small but important distinction applies here - a snow blower uses air to blow snow away. As you said, it works on smaller amounts of light snow.. Also good for blowing leaves into your neighbor's yard and for removing grass clippings from your driveway.

What you want to get is a snow thrower that has stiff rubber/plastic blades in it and forceably removes the snow. I've got an electric start 2-cycle snow thrower from the 70's that is fiesty as a teenaged trailer park girl after her first wine cooler. It'll handle snow piled up as high as it is. I've used it in over a foot of snow and it tosses that white crap 10+ feet to the side.

Haven't used it so far this year. Hopefully won't have to. I'd be just fine with no more snow this winter.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Good to know Scott. You're so smart about stuff. I don't mind shoveling, usually, it's just this year that it's really piling up. Oh, that and I'm getting older so each scoop is a little heavier. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't know much about snow blowers or snow throwers, but I'm very familiar with the feisty trailer park girl after her first wine cooler. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Seriously though, I've shoveled my own driveway, or parts of it, 8 times now. Apparently it will need more attention when I get home too. And that doesn't count the 3 neighbors' driveways I help out with and the numerous cars that kept getting stuck going up our street.

Ah yes. I remember. I grew up in Alaska. Has your boy learned the neat trick of shoveling driveways for money? We'd get a big snow and I'd leave the house for just a couple hours and come home with a hundred bucks... and those were the days when $100 was actually a lot of money!

We did that last year with a couple other neighbor kids and he made some extra cash. We tried this year, but everywhere we went already had their drives shoveled, or at least attempted. We shoveled 3 neighbors' driveways, but those are ones we normally do (along with mowing) since they're older ladies. And we don't ask to be paid, just want a plate of cookies now and then. :-D

I can't fathom what it's like to live in a place like that. It must be wild. Night and day, the places we live. Super interesting that we're in the same country.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I can't fathom what it's like to live in a place like that. It must be wild. Night and day, the places we live. Super interesting that we're in the same country.

I've spent weeks in southern cities during those winter seasons and could certainly get used to that...for a short time. I appreciate the idea of going out in a t-shirt in December or fish open water in January and catch a tilapia, but I think I'd miss that brisk wind on my face. Don't get me wrong, I hate the chill. I need to have my longjohns and layers, but there's something about that cold that is just, I don't know, normal, nice, comforting, fun, whatever it is. Plus, I love sledding, building snowmen, and digging tunnels, so I think I'm stuck in this region for the time being.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 am

I like that all the sigs on this page I made. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:00 am

I guess it's a snow thrower. It's got wheels and a built-in shovel that scoops the snow and throws it onto the grass. You start is like a lawnmower and if you get the snow while it is fresh, you can take it back down to the pavement. Doesn't matter how many inches (3-36), it will still do the job. Incidentally, we had a dusting last night and I don't remember it in the forecast.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:50 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I can't fathom what it's like to live in a place like that. It must be wild. Night and day, the places we live. Super interesting that we're in the same country.

I've spent weeks in southern cities during those winter seasons and could certainly get used to that...for a short time. I appreciate the idea of going out in a t-shirt in December or fish open water in January and catch a tilapia, but I think I'd miss that brisk wind on my face. Don't get me wrong, I hate the chill. I need to have my longjohns and layers, but there's something about that cold that is just, I don't know, normal, nice, comforting, fun, whatever it is. Plus, I love sledding, building snowmen, and digging tunnels, so I think I'm stuck in this region for the time being.

Oh, I didn't mean the climate at all. :-b We get plenty of snow here. I was referring to being in a place where you have neighbors who will shovel drive ways for hours for the elderly, mow their lawns, etc. I've been to a lot of different places in the United States where people are generally like this, but it's so far from what would be considered normal where I live, it's hard for me to even wrap my head around. Nicest people I've ever meet were in the greater Minneapolis area, though. ;-D
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean the climate at all. :-b We get plenty of snow here. I was referring to being in a place where you have neighbors who will shovel drive ways for hours for the elderly, mow their lawns, etc. I've been to a lot of different places in the United States where people are generally like this, but it's so far from what would be considered normal where I live, it's hard for me to even wrap my head around. Nicest people I've ever meet were in the greater Minneapolis area, though. ;-D

Oh, I gotcha. Haha. :-B

I've always lived in this area, but I've visited New York, Miami, Houston, Chicago, etc. so I know what you mean. I guess I'm probably so used to hospitality it's just something I may take for granted. I love to chat up cashiers and clerks and neighbors, etc. And neighbors helping neighbors is a wonderful thing. This past year we walked around the neighborhood with saws, hatchets, and a chainsaw when tons of trees and large branches were taken down in a thunderstorm. It was great helping neighbors we'd never met before. And considering our house was one of the few that wasn't hit, it was the least we could do. I recall, vividly, making a purchase at a gas station in Houston years ago. First of all the clerk never looked me in the eye, but more than that, when I made one subtle comment about something, just being polite, he completely ignored me and said not a word. Barely acknowledged I was there, if it weren't for me paying for something. I just assumed he was deaf and went on my way. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Metroid wrote:I like that all the sigs on this page I made. :-B

LOL... Merry Christmas to us, I guess! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk