Urban Meyer steps down - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Urban Meyer steps down

Moderator: Football Moderators

Urban Meyer steps down

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Didn't see this one coming.....

ESPN.Com wrote:Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama.

Meyer, 45, says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family.

Meyer will hold a news conference in New Orleans on Sunday afternoon and will coach his final game in the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on New Year's Day.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

What a huge blow to UF's program, especially after Strong leaves to coach Louisville.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Urban Meyer steps down

Postby Sandrock » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:37 pm

So either he actually has legitimate health concerns or just doesn't feel he can keep the same level of success without Tebow. Interested to hear more in the days to come.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 pm

What the? 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Metroid wrote:What the? 8-o

Exactly.

He must be really ill. :-?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:06 am

The Lung wrote:
Metroid wrote:What the? 8-o

Exactly.

He must be really ill. :-?

I know he had said in the past that he did not want to coach late into life. Maybe this is just him getting out now, while he's still young and healthy, to spend more time with his family. :-?
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:33 am

Okay, so I know this just happened but someone had to bring this point up: who are possible candidates to replace him? Maybe Petrino?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah Bob Petrino has to be near the top of the list, also TCU's Gary Patterson is a pretty hot commodity right now. I know Stanford's Jim Harbaugh just signed a 3 year extension, and has said he is very committed to the Cardinal but I'm not sure he wouldn't jump ship for the Florida job. I could see Charlie Strong coming back to Florida. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Gators put the feelers out on Mike Shanahan and John Gruden. Kyle Whittingham? The Gators got Urban from Utah. How bout Dan Mullen? He worked under Urban at both Utah and Florida. Bob Stoops also has ties to Florida, I doubt he'll leave the Sooners though.

I'm sure there are a slough of others right now...how bout Steve Spurrier returning?

Outside shot: What about the Huskies Steve Sarkisian? Jake Locker would probably hang himself.
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Did I hear that correctly on the teletube? Now he's not retiring, he's taking an 'idefinite leave of absence?' Heard it over halftime of the NE game while I was in the kitchen icing some beers down ;-D Go BEERS!
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:47 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Did I hear that correctly on the teletube? Now he's not retiring, he's taking an 'idefinite leave of absence?' Heard it over halftime of the NE game while I was in the kitchen icing some beers down ;-D Go BEERS!

Yeah you heard right, I heard the same thing. I forget who they said will take over coaching duties. It's kinda lame he's keeping the Gators in a weird sort of limbo. What the hell does indefinite mean? Is that just the offseason? Is that all of next season? A couple years? It puts Florida in a tough spot because now they wont hire a new coach. What if they miss on some big names while Meyer is on his "indefinite leave" and then he changes his mind and does choose to retire? I suppose he's earned the right to take a little time but the Gators still have to run a successful program and have to do what is in the best interests of the program. :-?
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Exactly! I can't help but think there's something else going on and all this is just what they're telling the public while some other reason(s) are sorted through. I don't see how he can up and leave, and then turn around and say this, and expect to come back. It's not like he's 16 and working at McDonald's and wants to go spend summer at his nana and papa's and isn't sure if he'll be back the last week of August or first week of September. I'm guessing we'll get a new announcement after they've played on New Years.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to College Football