AFC Wildcard Race - ALL Tiebreaks calculated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

AFC Wildcard Race - ALL Tiebreaks calculated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: AFC Wildcard Race - ALL Tiebreaks calculated

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Do you really expect Bill Belicheck to rest people? I sure don't...I don't know that their coaching staff really believes in that being the best way to go about it and they probably would like to secure the #3 over the #4 and they need to win to do that. The Bengals are a question mark...it all comes down to what the philosophy of the coaching staff there is right now and how comfortable they feel going into the playoffs with the way they're playing now. I don't know that there is going to be any concept of "not wanting to show them anything" with respect to the Jets as both of these teams have 15 games worth of game footage to look at to see what they do so I don't know that it's going to make a difference in that respect.

Oh well, I'll just cross my fingers and hope that they choose to play their starters...especially after the game was moved to prime time on Sunday night.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jh2031 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, we're both Steelers fans so I hope you're right. :-)
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Oh man...so do I. :-o
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Awesome job Matt. And to reward you for your work, I think the Stillers have a decent shot at getting in. The Texans face the one team that doesn't believe in looking past a game. Brady seems like he has found some magic, and I really think they want to keep the roll going.
The Stillers have to beat the Phins{. Baltimore should bury the Raiders in Rice and that will leave the Stillers and Ravens as wild cards. Oh, the Jets will find the Bengals D much tougher than the Colts. Sanchise ain't ready yet.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 pm

moochman wrote:Awesome job Matt. And to reward you for your work, I think the Stillers have a decent shot at getting in. The Texans face the one team that doesn't believe in looking past a game. Brady seems like he has found some magic, and I really think they want to keep the roll going.
The Stillers have to beat the Phins{. Baltimore should bury the Raiders in Rice and that will leave the Stillers and Ravens as wild cards. Oh, the Jets will find the Bengals D much tougher than the Colts. Sanchise ain't ready yet.

My biggest concern in that scenario is with the Jets. If the Patriots do beat the Texans, they'll clinch the No. 3 seed over Cincinnati due to the strength of victory tie-breaker (unless the Bengals beat the Jets by about 120 points). That means the Sunday night game will mean nothing to Cincinnati. If they win that game, they'll have to play the Ravens at home. If they lose, they'll be able to play the Jets for a second straight week. It wouldn't make much sense for the Bengals to try to win in my opinion.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:40 pm

mattb47 wrote:Do you really expect Bill Belicheck to rest people? I sure don't...I don't know that their coaching staff really believes in that being the best way to go about it and they probably would like to secure the #3 over the #4 and they need to win to do that. The Bengals are a question mark...it all comes down to what the philosophy of the coaching staff there is right now and how comfortable they feel going into the playoffs with the way they're playing now. I don't know that there is going to be any concept of "not wanting to show them anything" with respect to the Jets as both of these teams have 15 games worth of game footage to look at to see what they do so I don't know that it's going to make a difference in that respect.

Oh well, I'll just cross my fingers and hope that they choose to play their starters...especially after the game was moved to prime time on Sunday night.

Depends on who they want to play in the first round. Remember a few years ago the patriots did practically everything in their power NOT to win a game to get a favorable playoff matchup (the Jaguars).
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 am

There are so many different scenarios though on who that team could be that it would be foolish for them to try to control it. They might go into it thinking they'll play one team and lose as a result but then end up playing someone else entirely...that might work in most situations but considering that there are really 5 teams competing for those 2 spots, it's tough to try to dictate what will happen.

That being said, Steelersfan is right about the Bengals being able to control their destiny in that respect as they'll already know the result of the game with the Pats. I'm hoping it becomes more about getting the offense on track (or trying to) than dictating who they play as they've been struggling recently and more sputtering to the finish than striding to the finish so we'll see how that ends up playing out.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nsulham » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:36 am

Trust me on this. If Cincy already knows NE won and therefore Cincy can't get the #3 seed, they WILL rest their players because there's nothing really for them to play for. And the added benefit of keeping their hated rival Pittsburgh out of the playoffs? Icing on the cake.

I've had to hear from so many complaining Steeler friends about how the Jets have it so easy the last two weeks, playing teams resting starters. Guess what guys, you put yourselves in this position. Should have handled your business against the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders like you were supposed to.
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm

nsulham wrote:Trust me on this. If Cincy already knows NE won and therefore Cincy can't get the #3 seed, they WILL rest their players because there's nothing really for them to play for. And the added benefit of keeping their hated rival Pittsburgh out of the playoffs? Icing on the cake.

I've had to hear from so many complaining Steeler friends about how the Jets have it so easy the last two weeks, playing teams resting starters. Guess what guys, you put yourselves in this position. Should have handled your business against the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders like you were supposed to.

I agree wholeheartedly and won't complain for a second if the Steelers miss out by one game, because they had more than enough opportunities to win that one more game.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Carnac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Awesome post matt. Mind boggling scenarios. I like Baltimore to make it. Pitt has to rely on the other teams to help them. Could happen. Just too many no show games (Oak, Cle, KC) otherwise they are already in. Good luck to you Pitt fans. Like NE to take care of business against the Texans. I think Cincy wants to get back on track and establish some momentum going into the playoffs. Baltimore and Pitt would make the best playoff teams imo.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk