Intentional Grounding = Sack? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Intentional Grounding = Sack?

Intentional Grounding = Sack?

Postby Stitch » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 pm

In Sunday night's game, Demarcus Ware put pressure on Washington's QB causing him to throw the ball away to avoid the sack. Intentional grounding was called. Should'nt Ware get credit for a sack?
Stitch
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Intentional Grounding = Sack?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Stitch wrote:In Sunday night's game, Demarcus Ware put pressure on Washington's QB causing him to throw the ball away to avoid the sack. Intentional grounding was called. Should'nt Ware get credit for a sack?

I understand your point, but defensive players are not awarded a sack due to intential grounding. Here's a Q/A that I found about it:

Q: Ahh, the obligatory fantasy football question. This oen comes from Jim: "I had the Atlanta defense in my Fantasy Football playoff game against the New Orleans Saints on Monday Night Football. Intentional Grounding was called twice on Aaron Brooks, Why wouldn't it count as a sack? The penalty gave the result of the sack, and it was called because of avoiding a sack. I lost the game by 1.5 points and could have used the points for the potential sacks."
A: Sorry, Jim. I, too, and a big proponent of fantasy sports, but that doesn't change the fact that the NFL's rules, when you look at it objectively, make a whole lot of sense.

As you so observantly point out, the result of both of Brooks' intentional grounding penalties is the same as any intentional grounding penalty: the ball is placed at the spot of the infraction, and the offense loses a down as well.

But the fact of the matter is, the NFL cannot award statistics in a game based on what would have happened, had an infraction not have been committed.

This is how I reason it: A sack cannot be awarded to a defender a sack when a quarterback grounds a ball because the defender did not actually sack the quarterback.

Along that same vein, a reception, receiving yards, a completion and passing yards cannot be awarded to a receiver and quarterback when a receiver is interfered with by a defender -- because the receiver does not make the catch and gain the yards.

Sorry that hurt you in the fantasy standings, but I've got to side with the NFL on this one.

;-D :-/

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to IDP