Backus=probowl... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Backus=probowl...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Backus=probowl...

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Did anyone else hear Schwartz say that he thought Backus had a "Great season", and that he thought he should have received some pro bowl votes?? I was thinking maybe he was talking about a Backus on a different team or something. I dont think Backus is the worst player in the world but pro bowl?? L O L.

Im not sure about you guys but he lost some more credibility today with me when he said that.

He also went on to say that center wasnt a problem either. So it looks like Dom, Backus, and Cherry will be starting again next year.

That means they are going to take a guard in what the third/fourth round?

If they can just pull off another draft like last years then i will fully be on board with everything. This draft is beyond huge for this team.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Backus=probowl...

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Don't know what the guy is supposed to say, Spree. He can't very well come out and say they suck. And, in fact, it could be that Backus isn't that awful. Raiola, however, does suck. Just too small. Talking of pro-bowl for Backus is just silly.Probowl OLmen come from teams with above average production.

I think they had better start taking OLmen in the middle to late rounds. We hear all about the supposed great draft that the Millen chillin had but they don't mention the suck FAs they brought in. Jenson-fail, whathisface and whosyournutz, fail and fail. Foote, mediocre. Henry, fail.
So they had better just draft these positions and hope they have better aim with FAs.

In regards to how great the last year's draft was, I offer up two points to ponder.

1) This was an 0-16 team undergoing a massive rebuilding. That we have rookies who play and even start should be expected, not commended. They finished 2-4, so how good are the rooks? Stafford? What did he really show us? Pettigrew? Another injury and little production. These are two of the so-called prize rookie finds. Delmas? Have to see much more impact plays before I'll jump on baord the goo-goo for Lou-Lou (Louie Delmas, right?) Levy? A nice find, but on a D this bad how good has he been? Sammie Hill is still a project, though with promise. Avril and the rest were marginal contributors and Williams a flatout Millen-esque flop at WR. Scares me to think that the knack for not recognizing WR talent seems to be a talent that Mayhew has picked up on.
2) Our drafted players preformed better than years past simply because they were asked and/or coached to do so. Mornhenwig got some out of the suck the Millen brought him, but Mariucci, Jauron, and NimRod didn't trust young players enough to play them, and Marinelli couldn't coach a spade full of sand out of the sharpest shovel. :-b
So, I say that the draft wasn't that great, it just didn't suck, and it may be that the coaching was much better than during the Millen error.
That said, we still have so many holes, are coming off of a well earned 2-14 record, so I see no reason that another 3-5 rookies shouldn't be able to start or play a significant role in what, if the draft is sound (you know, no TEs or S or suckWRs), I see no reason the Lions shouldn't win 5-6 games next season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:32 am

i'm not gonna overblow the comment like some people have (cough 97.1 cough). i'll admit i dont know a whole lot on how to evaluate O-line, and i'll also admit i didnt pay much attention to the games that were on TV this year (usually i was checking fantasy scores or flipping to whatever better game was on), still, i have a hard time believing he was pro-bowl caliber, especially from a pass blocking standpoint

as far as Backus and Raiola, i'd love to replace them, but they are at least servicable so i wouldnt commit a high pick to their replacement at this point...and even then there's no guarantee you'll get someone better. hopefully we can get a couple of decent guards to help out.

also, didnt Peterman get a big contract. did he get hurt or did he just suck?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:also, didnt Peterman get a big contract. did he get hurt or did he just suck?

Pretty sure I would remember laughing until I cried, crying until I puked, which would have been my reaction to signing that pylon to a big contract. OGs are the biggest weakness on the O, so they had better not have committed much for that slug.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:29 am

moochman wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:also, didnt Peterman get a big contract. did he get hurt or did he just suck?

Pretty sure I would remember laughing until I cried, crying until I puked, which would have been my reaction to signing that pylon to a big contract. OGs are the biggest weakness on the O, so they had better not have committed much for that slug.

signed a five-year, $15 million contract that included $5.5 million in guaranteed money last February...guess it's not as bad as i thought since only 5.5 guaranteed
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moochman wrote:

signed a five-year, $15 million contract that included $5.5 million in guaranteed money last February...guess it's not as bad as i thought since only 5.5 guaranteed

This was done by the twins, Mayhew and Lewand? This is a classic reason the Lions suck. The FO signs these below average linemen, Riaola and Backus, and even less than linemen like Peterman, to contracts based on what they would have to pay average players in that position. So they pigeon-hole themselves into financial corners due to overpaying, and then try to push these players as higher valued commodities than they are. Hence the PR machine feeds their most faithful, obedient, or gullible writers crap about how Backus had a pro bowl caliber season. I just hate the Lions. Rather than try and be smart they spend half their energy trying to convince people that they are smart.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions