Out with the old... in with the new. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

Out with the old... in with the new.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Out with the old... in with the new.

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm soooo glad they fired Mora, but is Pete the answer?

(that's an open-ended question for biju, but others may feel free to chime in as well). ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Out with the old... in with the new.

Postby biju » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I'm soooo glad they fired Mora, but is Pete the answer?

Alright. First off, nobody should be shocked that I'm very happy to see Mora gone. And while it hasn't happened yet, the talk and assumptions likely point to Greg Knapp getting thrown out as well.

Yay for progress. ;-D

As for Pete Carroll, I'm not exactly sure what to think. My initial reaction was "Why do we want to tempt fate with a successful college HC transplant?" The success rate in going from college to the NFL is low. Recent failures are Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Steve Mariucci and of course, Dennis Erickson (I'm sure there are more too that I've forgotten). As a matter of fact, the last "successful" coach that wasn't handed a team (sorry Jim Caldwell) was Jimmy Johnson IIRC. When was that, in 1992?

I then noted that PC has previous NFL experience and from that list only Dennis Erickson has done the same in going college -> NFL -> college -> NFL. Of course, he failed as a SF head coach even after having a very successful stint at Oregon State.

But PC might be different. First off, he has a great attitude regarding "collective thinking" where he really does use everybody's input instead of stubbornly thinking his way is the only way. He tends to surround himself with great staff and gives them the leeway to make their own choices and hold them accountable. With this in mind, I need to do some research around Jeremy Bates (the rumored OC he'll bring in).

Pete Carroll also seems to be a good evaluator of talent. Yes, recruiting is very different from drafting. PC has doubled up on all of his recruits so only one of them needs to succeed for his team to be successful. You can't do that in the NFL. But given what I've read I'm not sure he'll be a large part of the draft so if this separation remains correct it could be a great thing. My hope is that he and Bates spend the offseason evaluating their current talent and create an offensive scheme that actually fits our team.

One more good thing: Pete Carroll is considered by many a defensive "mastermind". He should get immediate buy in from Lofa Tatupu and Lawrence Jackson, whom he coached at USC. He might be able to find the right way to utilize and mentor Aaron Curry and turn him from an early first failure to Pro Bowler. And because of the respect he gets from his former players there's a good chance that he can use his "recruiting skills" on FA's that came from his USC system. This is a big bonus. His scheme tends to be a "bend don't break" model which is probably wise considering we will be seeing Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Crabtree for years and I'd prefer to not see them racking up the yardage every year.

Now for the bad: Pete Carroll is a "rah rah" style guy in the way that Mora was. It's not a bad thing, but the players are professional and if they need this they shouldn't be here. The players might react badly to this merely because the last regime used it as well. He also has earned from critics in his offensive playcalling as being too gimmicky and overly aggressive at times. He'll need to learn restraint and in some cases the ability to throw in the towel--something that Mora was highly criticized for.

But in terms of his "style" of practicing he seems to have a closer match to Holmgren: high attention to small details in each play. He draws his inspiration from "The Inner Game of Tennis" in which the overriding philosophy is that in order to play the game correctly you need to "[clear] out the clutter in the interactions between your conscious and subconscious mind". This was a constant problem with Curry (and the rest of the team really) this year in that he at times seemed confused and wasn't able to react the way he was used to. PC believes that athletes "must clear their minds of all confusion and earn the ability to let themselves play freely" which is what Holmgren did and from the articles I've read exactly what Mora didn't do. This makes sense as there were far too many mental errors on this 2009 team.

PC gets a bad rap for his NFL stint too, which *might* be unjustified. He was 6-10 with the Jets although they did start 6-2. Remember that Dan Marino fake "spike" to clock the ball which he instead threw for a TD? That was against his Jets and that Jets team didn't win a game after that, so one could assume it was demoralizing to say the least.

After NY he went back to being a DC for SF where during his time the 49ers had the #1 ranked defense in 1995 and posted a 11-5 record. In 1996 they went 12-4.

He was hired as HC for the Patriots following year and spent three years there which included 2 playoff appearances. Many attribute this to the team left behind by football legend Bill Parcells however. He finished with a regular season record of 27-21 and a playoff record of 1-2.

----

I guess after all of this what I think I'm saying is, while I'm nervous about the signing there are plenty of reasons to think he could be what the Seahawks need. If we were to add in a scouting guru like Marc Ross as GM it might be a match made in heaven for us. But there will need to be someone within our organization that can help make NFL personnel decisions.

With that, it might be tough to bring in a "big name" GM because most guys don't want to told who their coach is and want their own guy. I wish we could have signed a GM first...

Wow, I think I wrote too much. 8-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Out with the old... in with the new.

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Man, I'll have to read biju's novel after I get home from work, but I've been sitting here at the paper all day reading stories about "Mora this" and "Carroll that", and I just don't know how I really feel about the whole thing - except for one part: I am an equally HUGE fan of Mora being gone! The rest? Only time will tell, I suppose...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Seattle Seahawks