Resume Writing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Resume Writing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Resume Writing

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Hey guys, just looking for a little advice here. I am writing a resume for a position within my own organization. I've obviously written the standard resume for summer jobs and whatnot, but never for a position within my own company. Is there anything different to do? Just a few of the things I've considered are

1. Would I still use references from previous jobs? They obviously contacted these people when I was first hired, so would they want to do it again?
2. Should I include a section on what I think I have contributed to the company in my time there?
3. Should I assume they know nothing about me and go from there? Or write the resume with the idea that they already have a pretty good idea of who I am?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Resume Writing

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 pm

They like to hear about your skills. If you have any skills be sure to list them - nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... stuff like that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

My suggestion would be to have your references be internal, as in, people you've worked with within the company. If you know that a certain person you've worked with would give you a strong recommendation, then that's the kind of reference I'd put down. That also goes for people you've worked with in a previous job/company, but you want to have an emphasis on the current colleagues you're working with now. Not sure how big/small your company is, but if it's one that's relatively small (<100), odds are likely the staffers will know the folks in your department.

And yes, put down any and all mention of contributions, accomplishments, skills, etc. After all, you want to make yourself sound more invaluable to the company than anyone else who's interested in that job.

Good luck. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:My suggestion would be to have your references be internal, as in, people you've worked with within the company. If you know that a certain person you've worked with would give you a strong recommendation, then that's the kind of reference I'd put down.

It's a good practice to ask the people you'd like to use as references before you use them. Make sure they're ok with it, and then if they are, when you submit them with your application there or anywhere else, give them a heads-up that they may be getting contacted about you. Professional courtesy ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Munboy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Emphasize your achievements and accomplishments within the company. If you've been with the company a while, I would only include a job experience if it directly relates for the position your applying for.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to General Talk