So where are we? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

So where are we?

Moderator: Football Moderators

So where are we?

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Year one AM* is completed and we witnessed another disgusting season, made only bearable by the lowest of expectations left us by NimRod's 0-16 masterpiece. We've a new head coach and new FO, how do you think they did in their first season?
The early feedback from local media is that the twins, Lewand and Mayhew, did anywhere from a good job to a great job with the draft, not-so-much love for their FAs. Oddly, I haven't heard much in the way of outright praise for head coach Schwartz. Here are my thoughts.
Most of you, by now, realize that I tend to be a tad critical and just a wee bit cynical when it comes to our beloved Lions. This seasons review is no exception.
I like Jim Schwartz, I really do. I think he gets a pass becuase he didn't do anything alarmingly Lion-esque. No blatantly awful logic defying calls, but also no hint of brilliant coaching manevuering either. My likes: He plays his young players. The only way to develop NFL players is to get them out on the field. Conversely, the only way to discipline NFL players is to take them off of the field when they are underperforming. Schwartz, as much as his lack of talent could afford, did this throughout the season. I see this as his strongest positive, but worry that the better the talent is the less likely he will be to limit PT for weak performances. Schwartz does seem like a very conservative HC. Could limit his upside. Also limiting could be an apparent lack of leadership and game-planning. Never seemed to come out with original planning or half-time regrouping that many of the better HCs have a knack for. Also was never able to rally the troups to win a game they shouldn't have won, or come back from deficits. The D quitting toward the end of the season is going to be a hurdle Schwartz will have to clear before next season if he is to find any success.
I don't like the Twins. Keeping the old flunkies from an 0-16 disaster seems like childs play. The supposed good draft is undermined by the silly picking of Pettigrew and Williams. That so many draft picks played and some produced was to be expected on an 0-16 team. I think that was more of a product of a bad team and Schwartz willingness to play them. I worry about the talent evaluation capabilities of the Twins. Stafford looks to be the lesser of the two QBs taken early last year, the WR corps was worse even than most detractors feared it would be. Career underperformers B Johnson, Northcutt, and Willaims each lived down to thier expectations. A couple of nice finds in Levy and Hill takes some of the sting out of what would have been a mediocre effort to say the least. Not convince that these guys have any idea how to buid a winning program. At best the Lions will rise to a 6-10 win bouncing ball team. You just cannot ignore such fundamentals as the O-line and D and expect to ever elevate your team to championship caliber.
In closing I am unimpressed with the end results of last season. 2 wins is a fail, period. If Schwartz and the Twins are capable of even mediocrity they should win no less than five games next season. Anything less should signal that more change is needed.

*AM-After Millen

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: So where are we?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

moochman wrote:So where are we?

Still a season ticket holder ;-7

moochman wrote:Also was never able to rally the troups to win a game they shouldn't have won, or come back from deficits.

Against Cleveland, the Brown sliced through the swiss cheese defense and took the lead only to have the Lions come back and win (sure they were helped out by the PI call), but they did come back.

I think the team showed a little fight, I see some promise...not as much as I would have liked to have seen, but then again we had 8 years of the worst management in sports...EVER!!! That is not something that can be taken lightly. Mooch - I know you don't like the continuation of piling on Millen, but it is a fact that he ran this team into the ground, we were actually starting out with less than an expansion team.

With the players we have it is hard to do anything creative, they had to play somewhat conservative most of the time. We are not going to see results overnight, but they say they have a plan...and we have to see how that plan works once it has been in place. One year is not nearly enough time to do everything that is needed with this team. Even 2 years may not be enough, but we should see improvement in year 2 from Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, etc. If we get production out of another 3-5 rookies like we did this year and those that were rookies this year improve, we could be on our way to some type of success down the road. One the other hand if this years rookies don't improve and the draft is a bomb, then we may be right back were we ended.

Now, as a season ticket holder, I've also seen the changes that aren't as visable to many. BM* they had givaways, more contact and even sent a media guide and Christmas ornement each year. That all stopped with Millen, coincidence, maybe, but they are starting to bring some of that back. It started with the town hall after Schwartz and 'the twins' were hired. Since then, I've received a survey about my Lions experience, free T-shirt for each of my seats, Christmas card. Sure it is just little things, but they are making the effort to the fans.

* Before Millen

As a sidenote to the expected number of wins next year. I don't have as high an expectation on the actual number as I do on the actual level of play. We will be playing 2 pretty tough divisions next year - NFC East and AFC East. I do want to finally see a win that was not expected going into the game, but I want to see more wins that will be expected. Rumor has it that the Thanksgiving Game will be the battle of Stafford vs Sanchez ;-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

i pegged them to go 3-13, so they pretty much met my expectations, although i expected more from the offense (got exactly what i expected from the defense though)

with as little as they had to work with i'm withholding judgement on the Schwartz for now. as far as Mayhew, hard to say if they just got lucky with drafting some good players, or the rest of our team was so bad they just look good, but it's at least promising that we did draft guys that were able to start

this quote was a little disconcerting though

"Frankly, I anticipated he would struggle as a receiver," Mayhew said. "If you go back and look at him at Penn State, he was in the wildcat (formation). He was a gadget type of guy. He was not a receiver that ran the full route tree.

"I did not anticipate he'd struggle as a returner, especially in terms of catching the ball. You saw some of that on film, but a lot of times, (the game) was outside. It was at Penn State on punts. I thought he would do a better job catching punts for us."

god forbid you want a return man that can catch the ball outside...hell, him not being able to catch it in bad conditions should have been a red flag

as far as Stafford vs Sanchez, i think that jury is still out. Free Press ran a story Monday (i think) showing they had almost identical numbers as far as attempts, completion %, etc...Sanchez just happened to have the NFL's best defense and a top rushing offense around him

regarding FA's, seems like they were just looking for warm bodies, so i dont put a lot of stock into what they got, even if it was more miss than hit. i've read quotes that they'll be looking to spend on 5 or 6 FA's this year as opposed to 15+ or whatever it was last year, so hopefully they will bring in some better quality guys

i expect us to be picking in the Top 10 again in 2011 (probably even Top 5) but if we have 2 more good drafts those years i'm expecting a playoff push in 2012 (assuming there's a season)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I hadn’t seen that damning quote from Mayhew before. To make that pick even more alarming, consider the wealth of WRs that were on the board after Williams. A classic Millen selection taking a WR with obvious flaws when such nice WRs like Brandon Tate or Mike Wallace, the next two WRs selected. It has long been a source of befuddlement to me on what criteria the Lions FO use when it comes to choosing a player. Take Aaron Hill in the 6th instead of a Bernard Scott who was taken later that round. Because Scott had character issues??? This is a 6th round pick. If his character is a problem, cut him. It’s a 6th round pick. These are the warning signs I see from Mayhew that he is only better because he is not Matt Millen.
As for Sanchez vs Stafford, I would love to see them play on Thanksgiving. And though their stats may be comparable, when Sanchez has looked on his game, his game looks a lot better than Stafford’s has.
Dream, I did forget that epic comeback against the Browns. But was that on Schwartz, or was it more a Stafford directive?
Glad to hear the Lions are trying to reach out to their customers again. I sure hope they can put out a good product soon. You deserve it.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nimzox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:42 pm

I know the Lions have a ton of problems that they have to address, but in no way shape or form is Sanchez better than Stafford! Stafford is a far better NFL QB than Sanchez will ever be! The Lions had damn well put together a good O-line for him though. He's gettin hammered out there!
nimzox
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 am

nimzox wrote:I know the Lions have a ton of problems that they have to address, but in no way shape or form is Sanchez better than Stafford! Stafford is a far better NFL QB than Sanchez will ever be! The Lions had damn well put together a good O-line for him though. He's gettin hammered out there!

There is no way to tell at this stage of their careers. What I like more in Sanchez over Stafford is that when he throws more on target passes. Even when Stafford has been at his best last year, his passes were never on the money. Cripes, even the much trumpeted pass to beat the Browns was thrown off target. I've seen Sanchez throw more passes on target, on time, in the few games I seen him play that I have Stafford. On target passes, on time, will allow the receiver to explode after the catch. Imaging Megatron catching a pass without breaking stride...That should happen a heckova lot more than it does.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nimzox » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I think it's pretty obvious right now that Stafford is far better. Put him on the Jets and he would blow Sanchez away! Sanchez has the luxury of being on a team that has a good offensive line, the #1 rushing offense, AND the #1 defense. Other than Calvin, what does Stafford have around him? Think about it Mooch.
nimzox
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 pm

I all know, nim, is that Sanchez throws a better looking pass than Stafford does. I hope you are right, and I did want the Lions to take Stafford, but I can't help but think that he is off to a slower start.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 am

moochman wrote:I've seen Sanchez throw more passes on target

That is because the Jets are on TV more than the Lions ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:43 am

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:I've seen Sanchez throw more passes on target

That is because the Jets are on TV more than the Lions ;-7

:-D
I guess I worry that Sanchez shows the ability to deliver a nice pass and could develop into a real nice QB, while I question if Stafford could throw three of five passes on target. There is no definitive way to know, time will tell. Same with the twins and Schwartz.
I just wish there was one thing that he did this year that made me think that Schwartz was innovative in some way.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions