One Hundred Push Ups - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

One Hundred Push Ups

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: One Hundred Push Ups

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 am

Well, I've been losing weight like crazy. I've lost 31lbs since April 1, mostly through eating less and more exercise. Simple stuff so far - walking during break at work (about 3-4 miles per day), playing baseball with my girl, and disc golf, which is a two-mile walk up and down hills. The eating thing has been a big deal.

I've also basically eliminated booze. No more two beers a day, or bottle of wine in one evening. I caught some show on TV where they called alcohol "liquid fat," and that's probably an exaggeration but it has some truth.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am

knapplc wrote:Well, I've been losing weight like crazy. I've lost 31lbs since April 1, mostly through eating less and more exercise. Simple stuff so far - walking during break at work (about 3-4 miles per day), playing baseball with my girl, and disc golf, which is a two-mile walk up and down hills. The eating thing has been a big deal.

I've also basically eliminated booze. No more two beers a day, or bottle of wine in one evening. I caught some show on TV where they called alcohol "liquid fat," and that's probably an exaggeration but it has some truth.

That is awesome Lance! I am usually chastised whenever giving my opinion on weight loss since I'm a skinny dude and that automatically means I don't know what I'm talking about, but I truly believe that it's simple. Moving more and eating less. It must be a lifestyle, not a diet. Nice job Lance and keep it up. Next update will be you training for a Triathalon!
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Looks like this thread has taken on a life of its own. ;-D

Anyway, I had an injury about 6 months ago that I imagine is pretty common. I'm hoping for some advice on what (if anything) I should do about it.

The injury happened in the middle of the winter. I slipped on the ice and slammed my shin into a low cement wall. Since I could walk, I didn't think it was broken. It got very swollen for about 3-4 days and after about 2 weeks the swelling was completely gone. 6 months later there's no swelling and no pain but there is a noticeable dent in my shin a few inches long with numbness around it. (It's very easy to feel just by running a hand down my shin.) This is the same leg I've torn my ACL three times on.

The only reason I'm asking about it now is because for the first time in 2+ years my knee is strong enough to go running. I can go about 2 miles right now. But after a little over 1 mile the lower half of my leg just starts to feel like dead weight. It literally can't keep up with the rest of my body. I have to stop not because I'm winded but to give my leg a rest. If I walk for a minute or two I can finish the run. Neither my shin or my knee are sore after the run.

I kind of hate doctors right now because I feel they really botched things up with my knee. So I never saw one about this. Should I expect it to get stronger as I continue to run? Or is there something I need to do about it?
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm

knapplc wrote:Well, I've been losing weight like crazy. I've lost 31lbs since April 1, mostly through eating less and more exercise. Simple stuff so far - walking during break at work (about 3-4 miles per day), playing baseball with my girl, and disc golf, which is a two-mile walk up and down hills. The eating thing has been a big deal.

Great job. I hover between 200-210. If I get too big I cut back and excercise more.

You don't want none of this at Disc Golf although I haven't played for a while. I used to be able to knock down anything within 20 feet in my hay day. Never drove it real far though just good at the approach and putting. Carry 8 discs with me.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:50 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Carry 8 discs with me.

What do you need 8 for? I carry 2. Driver. Putter. :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Every few days I try to knock out as many pushups as I can. 50 is no problem but I usually top out at about 75.

I'm good with food and when I'm running in the summer it's a lot of chicken breasts and either whole wheat pasta or brown rice and spinach. The trouble with me is my sweet tooth. I've always got to have something sweet after I eat. One of my weaknesses are Klondike Bars. I usually have them in the freezer and will go through at least one 4 pack per week. Last week I found something new. It was a Reese peanut butter bar. Not a peanut butter cup but in bar form. Like this

It's brilliant. My wife loved it too so I tried to find them again and I'm embarrassed to say that I drove about 10 minutes back to the store where I first found them just to buy a chocolate bar and bought a bunch. I'm even more embarrassed to admit that I've hidden them in the house :-b

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 pm

We all have our vices Mookie. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Carry 8 discs with me.

What do you need 8 for? I carry 2. Driver. Putter. :-B

Dude I have acquired a variety. I just looked and forgot I lost a nice Tee Bird my last time out.

The Teebird special edition is my baby. I drive with that most of the time.
The Firebird is way over stable and if you can get over the top on the drive it rolls over real fast. I use that one for a hook shot B-)
The Cheetah is used when there is a chance of losing a disc. Don't wanna risk the Tee Bird
The Shark is a nice approach disc. Very little left and holds pretty straight.
The Disc Craft skips on the ground well so I use it to get out of jams.
The Aero is a putter I bring out when the Piranaha isn't working.
The Piranaha is my main putter. 20' out with that was all chains in my hayday.

The disc in the middle with the no low puts design is a Innova Pirahna putter.

Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:34 am

I think I have that shark one. Don't use it much though. I have a cheetah one that's my driver and another one I can't remember what's on it as my putter. I've never lost if that counts for anything, haha. Probably the competition, though the one buddy I play with plays a lot. Just not very good I guess. Unless I'm just exceptionally gifted naturally. :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 am

I use the perfect pushup thingy fairly regularly (like 3 sets twice a week for a while now). I can probably do 50 normal pushups max to exhaustion. It's a difficult thing to do something 100 times just because of muscle fatigue I don't care how much you are lifting. Try taking a 5lb weight and curl it 100 times. I did that once just to see if I could. I did but I couldn't straighten my arms out fully for about 2 days after that because my biceps were so sore.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk