One Hundred Push Ups - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

One Hundred Push Ups

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: One Hundred Push Ups

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I never implied that you weren't, Jake. Do it however you want of course. In my personal experience it didn't end well. I moved to another town so the gym was no longer around the corner. When i told them I was cancelling they at first flat out refudiate it, saying I was contractually bound. I wasn't, I was month to month and had signed nothing. Then they started in with the cancellation fees and that they were going to bill me in full for that month and the next month, because it the 5th and I hadn't given thirty days notice. I said again that I never agreed to do any such thing as that is the point of going month to month. Their attitude was that they could bill whatever they wanted and I had no way to stop it and screw me. Ended up having to go down there and have a very unpleasant conversation with the owner.

I see where you're coming from.

I guess I should expect problems and for it to cost more than what I calculated above. I just don't know that I have a good alternative to joining a gym right now. Running is now out for a while. And all I have as far as equipment goes is an old set of dumbbells.

Like I said before, I just don't have any experience with joining gyms. I don't know what's standard procedure and what a good rate is. Maybe I should keep searching for a better option.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:I never implied that you weren't, Jake. Do it however you want of course. In my personal experience it didn't end well. I moved to another town so the gym was no longer around the corner. When i told them I was cancelling they at first flat out refudiate it, saying I was contractually bound. I wasn't, I was month to month and had signed nothing. Then they started in with the cancellation fees and that they were going to bill me in full for that month and the next month, because it the 5th and I hadn't given thirty days notice. I said again that I never agreed to do any such thing as that is the point of going month to month. Their attitude was that they could bill whatever they wanted and I had no way to stop it and screw me. Ended up having to go down there and have a very unpleasant conversation with the owner.

I see where you're coming from.

I guess I should expect problems and for it to cost more than what I calculated above. I just don't know that I have a good alternative to joining a gym right now. Running is now out for a while. And all I have as far as equipment goes is an old set of dumbbells.

Like I said before, I just don't have any experience with joining gyms. I don't know what's standard procedure and what a good rate is. Maybe I should keep searching for a better option.

Did you work out there yet? Tell them you are thinking of joining and want a tour. Thry will introduce you to all the equipment. When you are done work out there. If they have all of the equipment you like and you could see yourself developing a routine that is right for you then there is no need to keep looking. If you are comfortable with them drawing from your checking than go for it. I would think if you quit than you could notify your banl of the situation and they would stop authorizations for the gym. Or see if they can charge a credit card instead. That way you can cancel the card if things get out of hand. The price of the gym is definitely right. It won't get any cheaper.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:47 pm

The one thing I really miss from having a gym membership is the indoor pool. I love hitting a heated pool in the dead of winter. Swimming is about the only other cardio exercise I like to do.

Well,two things I miss. a steam room is awesome but not alot of places have those any more.

I got in 80 minutes on the mountain bike today. heat index is 94 :-P
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:14 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I got in 80 minutes on the mountain bike today. heat index is 94 :-P

8-o

Maybe I should just take up biking. :-?
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:26 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Maybe I should just take up biking. :-?

It's pretty convenient. Get home from work, change, and even if you're in a hurry you can get a good workout in a 35 minute bike ride if you keep the legs pumping the whole time. On the lazy days go for two hours. There are jogging/biking routes and trails all around here so for the convenience factor and the fresh air/sunshine/exercise factor it works well for me personally. Invested $300 in a Giant Boulder SE and it's done just fine. Not ot mention it's an alt form of transportation if you have alot of stuff nearby . There are a couple large companies within a couple miles of my house that I'd love to work for. Ride my bike to work would be freakin awesome.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:26 pm

scottaa1 wrote:There are a couple large companies within a couple miles of my house that I'd love to work for. Ride my bike to work would be freakin awesome.

Sure it would be awesome. It wouldn't be exercise but it would be awesome.

Biking a few miles is about the equivalent of walking up a couple of flights of stairs. Nice but not exercise.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 pm

:-? yeah I wasn't counting it as such... just meant it'd be nice to save the gas money/mileage on my car using my bike as transportation.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Biking a few miles is about the equivalent of walking up a couple of flights of stairs. Nice but not exercise.

That's mostly because it doesn't take very long to go a mile or two on a bike. Any good cardio workout's going to take longer than that. And I don't think he'd want to bike to work if it was going to leave him completely exhausted by the time he got there. Not the way I'd want to start out my work day.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 am

It was already mentioned but have you considered swimming? Great for cardio and low impact on the legs obviously. There's a trail around a lake near me thats 6 km around that I run then do a 20 minute-ish swim.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:48 am

scottaa1 wrote::-? yeah I wasn't counting it as such... just meant it'd be nice to save the gas money/mileage on my car using my bike as transportation.

pessimist Mookie is a pessimist.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk