"I Met a Famous Person and Here's My Story" Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

"I Met a Famous Person and Here's My Story" Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

"I Met a Famous Person and Here's My Story" Thread

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

After reading about an interaction with Don Shula in the GC forum, I thought this might be a good idea to have a thread where people can tell their stories, good and bad, about how they met an athlete, coach, TV star, movie star, president, whatever. I'll start:

1995. Though I am from Philly, I was the biggest Reggie Miller fan of all time! I loved how he got in John Starks head in the playoffs and scored 8 points in 12 seconds to beat the Knicks in the '94 playoffs (or thereabout). So I'm going to school at University of Richmond and get tickets to see the Pacers play the Bullets in Baltimore (they played a few games in BAL that year as opposed to Landover). Unfortunately, there was a huge snow storm all along the east coast and I had to drive through it to get to BAL. What normally is a 2.5 hour drive took about 6 or so. Maybe more...I can't be sure. Anyway, it took forever, but I didn't care. I show up wearing my Miller jersey and enjoy a great game where Miller ends up hitting 1 of 2 free throws to seal the win. As the arena empties, I'm hanging out by the tunnel watching the players go out. A guard starts telling our small crowd that we have to leave. At that point I asked him where to go to get an autograph. He tells me where the team bus is located in an underground parking lot connected to the stadium. I head down there and see the bus. As I wait, I chat up the bus driver so he doesn't tell me to get lost or call another guard who may not be as friendly as the first. I watch Antonio Davis come out. I watch George Muresan come out with some 7 foot girlfriend (and ugly as all hell). Then, Reggie comes out with a purple skull cap pulled low just over his eyes. As he walks toward me, I hold out my jersey and a marker and ask him to sign. "I gotta go, man," is all he says. Then, he gets on the bus. I'm heartbroken and depressed. Larry Brown (who I also admired) walks out and I ask him to sign. He was great and talked to me about the UR basketball program and head coach at the time. He gave me a few minutes. Then he got on the bus. That bus didn't pull away for another 15 minutes.

I left there wishing I had just thrown the jersey on the ground. I was only 21 or 22. After that, I was constantly like, screw Reggie Miller. I used to hang his jersey up in my apartment, but I never did again. Eventually, I trashed it.
-----------
Well, this wasn't the most uplifting first story, but it is a pretty good one. Feel free to comment and provide your own story about meeting a famous person.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: "I Met a Famous Person and Here's My Story" Thread

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:34 pm

joejlitz wrote:
I left there wishing I had just thrown the jersey on the ground. I was only 21 or 22. After that, I was constantly like, screw Reggie Miller. I used to hang his jersey up in my apartment, but I never did again. Eventually, I trashed it.
-----------
Well, this wasn't the most uplifting first story, but it is a pretty good one. Feel free to comment and provide your own story about meeting a famous person.

I almost ran him over in a parking lot once. Back when I was driving my Dodge Ram, I was pulling through a crowded parking lot near a very popular Asian take-out place. Pretty narrow, and someone had had the audacity to park their ginormous SUV in the main thoroughfare, behind cars that were parked in normal parking spaces. I thought 'wow, someone is a self-important a-hole' and a moment later reggie stepped out in front of my truck and just kinda glanced at me like 'what are you doing there' and got in the SUV and pulled away.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Here's one no one will be able to top. I meet Radar O'Reilly, Gary Burghoff from M*A*S*H! :-D

This was back in 1987 or 1988. I worked at an oceanarium and did the dolphin shows. He was there with his two nieces, who wanted to meet the handsome young dolphin trainer (me)... so after the rest of the crowd went to see the stupid sea lion show, he and the two girls came over and introduced themselves. Chatted a while, let them meet the dolphins up close. They were very nice.

Years later, when he became 'that BP guy' for the gas station commercials, it became a running gag every time the commercial came on for me to say 'hey, did I ever tell you about the time I met that BP guy?'
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:01 pm

I have had a few times where I have met someone famous.

The first one was when I was in 9th grade a friend and I went to the LA open. About mid day I noticed Ian Baker Finch walking towards the 10th tee. I asked him for his autograph and he said "what is it with you guys. F word! You never let up." I said "Oh wait you were not the guy I was looking for. You are 2 over par. I was looking for a pro who is under par." :-b Never did get that autograph but I got some under par guys autographs instead including his playing partner Robert Gamez who was under par. ;-D

I saw both Stoops playing golf with Spurrier at a resort in Arizona close to U of A. Didn't talk to them though.

The most polite Celeb I have met was Orel Herchiser. I saw him eating Breakfast at a restaurant in Jack London Square. He sat in a corner all incog but didn't fool my step father who said "is that the old Dodgers pitcher?" I said "yup thats Hershiser."

We walked over and he was glad to give an autograph and take a few pictures. Very nice guy. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
...I worked at an oceanarium and did the dolphin shows.'

Sounds like a dream job, though I suppose there was a lot of fishy smells and nasty uncleanly areas, too.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 pm

joejlitz wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
...I worked at an oceanarium and did the dolphin shows.'

Sounds like a dream job, though I suppose there was a lot of fishy smells and nasty uncleanly areas, too.

Yeah, lots of flashyness and tourist babes, but also lots of cutting fish, and yeah, I had to do that thing where I hung the herring from my teeth and the dolphin jumped up 20 feet to snatch it. Fortunately the dolphin never chose to break my nose or knock my teeth out, but yeah 'herring breath' anyone?

it was worth it though, did I tell you about the time I met that BP guy?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 am

A former job used to put me in contact with famous people almost daily, but one that is always funny to me was the first time I met Bob Dole. I said "It's a pleasure to meet you senator," or something equally as interesting, and put out my arm to shake hands. He said something, but didn't take my hand and I remember thinking, "Bob Dole's goign to leave me hanging." Then he said "uhhh...I'm kind of a lefty, son." I called Mark Hamill up once when I was drunk and just breathed heavily and said "Luke...I am your father," which I'm sure is something he'd never heard before and I called Ann Coulter and asked for a date. She was every bit as happy about that as you might expect. In retrospect, I probably had too much access for a 23-year-old that drank too much.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 am

here are my brushes with fame

took a leak 1 urinal away from Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski at a Tigers @ Nationals Spring Training game (i didnt think it proper to chat him up in the bathroom)

got autographs from Tigers SP Nate Robertson and former Tiger RP Jason Grilli at another spring game

sat behind Nate Robertson and Tigers SS Adam Everett at a Permanti Brothers in Pittsburgh last summer. didnt really want to bother them at lunch so just said "good luck" on the way out (they lost bad at the game later)

i think i may have met Roger Penske when i was a kid...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:50 am

Art Vandelay wrote:A former job used to put me in contact with famous people almost daily, but one that is always funny to me was the first time I met Bob Dole. I said "It's a pleasure to meet you senator," or something equally as interesting, and put out my arm to shake hands. He said something, but didn't take my hand and I remember thinking, "Bob Dole's goign to leave me hanging." Then he said "uhhh...I'm kind of a lefty, son." I called Mark Hamill up once when I was drunk and just breathed heavily and said "Luke...I am your father," which I'm sure is something he'd never heard before and I called Ann Coulter and asked for a date. She was every bit as happy about that as you might expect. In retrospect, I probably had too much access for a 23-year-old that drank too much.

That Bob Dole anecdote is funny. He covers that impairment pretty well, though.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 am

the former mayor of indianapolis got the door for me at work this morning. he's on the board of directors here, must have had an early meeting.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk