For Sale: Space Shuttle, 1 owner, Good Condition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

For Sale: Space Shuttle, 1 owner, Good Condition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: For Sale: Space Shuttle, 1 owner, Good Condition

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I've lived in Hell, I mean Florida since 98 (minus 3 years I moved back to NY), and I never went to a launch until the 3rd to last launch earlier this year (man I regret not going earlier!). Photography is a hobby of mine, so I wanted to take photos. My first attempt didn't work out so well. I was in a bad spot (didn't realize it until it was too late), and I had some operator error with my camera. That was for the last launch of Discovery back in February. Then in May I went to the last launch of Endeavour, only to have it scrubbed a few hours before the launch. I was pissed because I was in the perfect spot with my camera ready on a tripod. Luckily, I got back to the same spot when Endeavour finally lifted off, and here are some of the pics:

Sunrise before the launch.

Liftoff!

Notice the bird to the right...flying right to left.

The bird is in front of the flames! I couldn't have planned this pic if I tried.

Bird to the left now.

The clouds were low, so the shuttle literally disappeared into the clouds.

I was planning on going to the last flight of Atlantis earlier today, but all week it looked like they were going to postpone it until Sunday. I didn't want to drive all the way down there (and fight with the crowds), only to have it scrubbed. Oh well! I'm sorry that I missed the last ever shuttle launch, but I'm very happy that I got to see/photograph 2 of them. The sound is very loud and you can even feel it 12 miles away. If I'm still in Florida, I'm definitely going to the first launch of whatever the next manned spacecraft is. Looks like that won't be until around 2015 though. :,-( ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 am

Awesome pics!! That's the view from TWELVE MILES??? I would have guessed 3 or 4 miles it looks so big. Or is that because of a telephoto lens? What kind of camera do you shoot?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:16 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Awesome pics!! That's the view from TWELVE MILES??? I would have guessed 3 or 4 miles it looks so big. Or is that because of a telephoto lens? What kind of camera do you shoot?

Thanks Scott! ;-D

My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. I used a small telephoto lens (Canon EF 75-300mm), and then I cropped the pics which made them look closer. Most websites that I looked at recommended a much bigger telephoto lens from where I was, but they can run into the $1000's. The closest you can get is at the NASA Causeway or the Visitor's Complex, which is about 6 miles away, but those tickets are only available through a lottery (because demand is so high). I entered the lottery each time, but didn't get lucky. All the websites I looked at said that Titusville, FL is the next best place for viewing, which is about 12 miles away. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Too many miles. I'll pass.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk