Spygate revisted. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Spygate revisted.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Spygate revisted.

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm

biju wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Guys, as I said above, the Patriots almost certainly weren't cheating for the majority of their perfect 2007 regular season (by majority, I mean 15 games). They got caught in Week 1 and were punished before their Week 2 game. The initial argument doesn't make sense because they wouldn't cheat for the rest of that season AFTER GETTING CAUGHT, then arbitrarily decide to stop next season.

They had a record-breaking season mostly because they had one of the best passing offenses of all-time with an amazing quarterback and two of the NFL's best receivers who each offer a different skill set defenses had to deal with. Plus, as ben said, Belichick was willing to run up the score.

I'm thankful someone other than a Pats fan was able to find that massive hole in the logic of the argument.

Not that I need to get into this, but it's only a hole if the opposing teams' signals have changed from what the Pats expected. You might not be able to assume this was something easily changed mid-season, although I immediately admit I don't know whether this is an accurate statement or not. It could be easy enough too. All I'm saying is it's possible teams had to make this adjustment in the off season while the Pats had *years* worth of data on DCs.

Again, no idea how accurate this is--just trying to throw a possibility out there that matches what was seen. It probably has as much chance as Belichick having backup tapes in his garage, or alien mind control.

And the cheating they did was effectively covered up by Goodell, so other teams weren't sure just what and how their signs were stolen. This was done over years and not something that the Pats had to abandon-not using cameras to steal signs, but using stolen signs. Other teams prepare for a season well in advance of week 2 and wouldn't change all that they do just because one team cheated.
Dream, that teams had coaching turnover only supports my assertion. New coaches mean new signals, and Pats not knowing new signals means less effective game plans and adjustments.
Yes they had great QB play and pass attack. I just don't know how much of that was due to the players and how much was due to the cheating. I do know that there was a 10 PPG difference. Huge.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 pm

tainted titles
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 pm

So I guess this will be another year the Pats didn't come through since they had to change their winning ways.

When did Belickick and Brady become such wusses? with a hurting secondary their response was not to attack and add points, but to get more conservative and lose. I guess cheating makes you brave too.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 pm

moochman wrote:So I guess this will be another year the Pats didn't come through since they had to change their winning ways.

When did Belickick and Brady become such wusses? with a hurting secondary their response was not to attack and add points, but to get more conservative and lose. I guess cheating makes you brave too.

Now that the bearings don't seem to be perfectly balanced anymore I wonder if that machine is going to tear itself apart in the next couple years.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
moochman wrote:So I guess this will be another year the Pats didn't come through since they had to change their winning ways.

Now that the bearings don't seem to be perfectly balanced anymore I wonder if that machine is going to tear itself apart in the next couple years.

Football is a game of pressure. A young Brady was all about putting the pressure on the D, now he seems to want to wait for the cracks to show first. The better teams, the ones you often meet deep in the playoffs, don't crack without being forced.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Not going to argue the awful gameplan from the AFC championship, but the Patriots scored 557 points this year, getting within spitting distance of the record breaking 07 season. Somehow I doubt they are still getting an edge from standing on the other teams sideline with a video camera five years ago.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Not going to argue the awful gameplan from the AFC championship, but the Patriots scored 557 points this year, getting within spitting distance of the record breaking 07 season. Somehow I doubt they are still getting an edge from standing on the other teams sideline with a video camera five years ago.

Clearly the Pats still have the talent and the scheme to beat mediocre teams in non pressure games without their old cheating. But when it came time to make decisive, bold, big plays to win they went conservative. It was as if they no longer were so sure of how to beat the D. Becuase they no longer had the edge??? Evidence strongly suggests yes.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk