Need some prayers for Pops - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need some prayers for Pops

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need some prayers for Pops

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50 pm

My father has been delivering bottled water for 40 years in Huntington Beach with an independant company. Other than a few other jobe that is all he knows.

The company was just bought by Sparkletts. He is an independant distributor who technically owns a franchise but never had to pay for it. 40 years ago the company made it easy on independants by giving them 900 bottles to deliver. If you grew the business, which he did to 2700 bottles, you would be paid out if you ever gave up the franchise. A few years back my dads company made him sell off half of his route for a measily profit leaving him with about 1400 bottles. The economy and a firesale by the bigger competitors has dwindled it down to 11 hundred bottles.

He was told today at the age of 64 that he has 30 days. He can put in a resume to sparkletts but lets face it. They want young people who can move quicker. My dads strength is in dealing with people not hustling. He also hasn't been saving money due to 2 divorces and really has nothing for retirement. He does have a place to go without rent so that is a plus. Unfortunately he rents off of me now which will make me have to find someone.

Anyways if you could put in a good prayer for him it would be much appreciated. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Need some prayers for Pops

Postby Metroid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 am

Defiantly a tough situation, my thoughts are with you. :-/
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 am

Yeah, prayers dude, no problem. That's rough.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

Sorry to hear about that. I would counsel your dad to apply regardless. Employers are not allowed to base their decisions off of age. If he's been in the job that long they're going to have a REALLY hard time explaining how they found someone "more qualified" than your dad.

He has options with state and federal agencies to help combat age discrimination. If you need help finding them PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone in your area.

Good luck.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:41 am

knapplc wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I would counsel your dad to apply regardless. Employers are not allowed to base their decisions off of age. If he's been in the job that long they're going to have a REALLY hard time explaining how they found someone "more qualified" than your dad.

He has options with state and federal agencies to help combat age discrimination. If you need help finding them PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone in your area.

Good luck.

Thanks gentlemen! ;-D

Great advice Knapp. I have him getting his Resume together.

Can you imagine
birth-1967 recycled bottles from construction sites.
1967-1968 TV Repairman
1968-1969 Dir of Ops
1969-2009 Waterman
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 am

Our thoughts and prayers are with your dad.
Good Luck!
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Great advice Knapp. I have him getting his Resume together.

Can you imagine
birth-1967 recycled bottles from construction sites.
1967-1968 TV Repairman
1968-1969 Dir of Ops
1969-2009 Waterman

As knapp said, if they try to claim they have a more qualified Waterman they might have a hard time making that stick.

Good luck man, positive vibes being sent your way...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks all.

He had a great interview at Sparkletts, at least according to his recolection. He was even smart enough to create a few jobs that didn't exist. ie. he said "You might need a person who worked for Yosemite waters for 39 years to take the canecellation calls and calm them down. Everyone I keep is like a new customer." They even said it was not out of the question for him to run the same route.

Anyways I hope they give him a job so he can survive without being in a forced retirement situation. It would also make things much easier on me if he could stay. Renting to someone you don't know sucks. I'm still in the money on the place even with the down turn but would like to see it recover some before he retires in a year and a half.
Cowboys 4 life

Return to General Talk