Olympic Games - Vancouver - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Olympic Games - Vancouver

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Olympic Games - Vancouver

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:19 am

I don't disagree that the Canadian team was way better. But the American goalie was probably the player of the tournament. And in hockey, goalie is often as important as the rest of the team combined....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I don't disagree that the Canadian team was way better. But the American goalie was probably the player of the tournament. And in hockey, goalie is often as important as the rest of the team combined....

I give Miller tons of props but for me he wasn't even the goalie of the tournament, Jonas Hiller was better.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I don't disagree that the Canadian team was way better. But the American goalie was probably the player of the tournament. And in hockey, goalie is often as important as the rest of the team combined....

I give Miller tons of props but for me he wasn't even the goalie of the tournament, Jonas Hiller was better.

I got 2 problems with Hiller:

1. His team lost in the quarters (not really his fault, but still....)
2. He played terrible against Latvia? (He had one horrible game that the Swiss almost got upset in, I can't remember who exactly the oppoonent was but I think it was Latvia...)

Miller had one incredible game, and then the rest of the tourney he played pretty well....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Bumbed that America lost.

What gets me is that the US and Canada had the same overall record in the end. The US proved they could beat the Canadian team by beating them in the qualifying round. The losers get rewarded with a 2nd chance and the undefeated team gets rewarded with a do or die game for the gold.

First full game I have watched since Gretzski was on the Kings. Knapp was dead on though. The average American can care less about hockey even though the game has way more action that any other sport. Its a sport where I watch the standings weekly and as soon as my team (Kings) are down in the standings I don't look anymore. Heck I can't even name one player on my favorite team. :-b
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:45 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Bumbed that America lost.

What gets me is that the US and Canada had the same overall record in the end. The US proved they could beat the Canadian team by beating them in the qualifying round. The losers get rewarded with a 2nd chance and the undefeated team gets rewarded with a do or die game for the gold.

Yeah, that sucks. Like in 2007 when the Pats went undefeated and even beat the Giants during the regular season. The Pats proved that they could beat the Giants so it's not fair that the Giants got a second chance. The Pats were 1-1 vs the Giants that year so it's not fair that the losers got rewared with a second chance and the winner got rewarded with a do or die game. Why did the Giants get the superbowl when they had already lost to the Pats. Not fair. :-C

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:52 pm

First full game I have watched since Gretzski was on the Kings. Knapp was dead on though. The average American can care less about hockey even though the game has way more action that any other sport. Its a sport where I watch the standings weekly and as soon as my team (Kings) are down in the standings I don't look anymore. Heck I can't even name one player on my favorite team. :-b

I disagree. Canada had to go through Russia and Slovakia just to get a rematch. They earned it. I still think we have a better team, though. This should make for a GREAT rivalry for the next few olympics. (We're gonna be expecting gold 4 years from now)

Here's the all star team of the tourney...

Goal: Ryan Miller, USA
Defense: Brian Rafalski, USA. Shea Weber, Canada.
Forwards: Pavol Demitra, Slovakia. Zach Parise, USA. Jonathan Toews, Canada.

US makes up half the team, plus MVP and best defenseman. Pretty awesome ;-D ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:57 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Here's the all star team of the tourney...

Not surprising since we dominated the tournament except for one slipup in overtime against the home team. We clearly were the best team at the Olympics. Play that game at a neutral site and the U.S. wins two of three, easy.

FIAB
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:24 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:

I disagree. Canada had to go through Russia and Slovakia just to get a rematch. They earned it. I still think we have a better team, though. This should make for a GREAT rivalry for the next few olympics. (We're gonna be expecting gold 4 years from now)

Here's the all star team of the tourney...

Hmmmm an entire team made up of North America aside from one player? No one on the team that got the Bronze medal? I think that's a bit biased. Parise was somewhat inconsistent, and despite his goal in the gold medal game, prior to that he did not play well. I would take probably either Jokinen or Gaborik over him.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:29 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

Yeah, that sucks. Like in 2007 when the Pats went undefeated and even beat the Giants during the regular season. The Pats proved that they could beat the Giants so it's not fair that the Giants got a second chance. The Pats were 1-1 vs the Giants that year so it's not fair that the losers got rewared with a second chance and the winner got rewarded with a do or die game. Why did the Giants get the superbowl when they had already lost to the Pats. Not fair. :-C

What sucks even worse is that same year the Cowboys beat the Giants 2x then lost in the playoffs to them.

Good analogy though. I agree with you that the US was definately the best team in the Olympics (like the Pats were in 07) but not on Sunday.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:22 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Good analogy though. I agree with you that the US was definately the best team in the Olympics (like the Pats were in 07) but not on Sunday.

You take those 2 teams and play ten times, Canada wins 8. You play that tournament 9 more times and US probably does not make the finals again.

On paper the US was the fourth best team in the tournament maybe the fifth. The US deliberately went for youth and sent the youngest team in the tournament. Fortunately for them the Russians and Sweedes choked.

I give them all the credit in the world, they are super fast and very young, they will be great in a few years. That said, they need some defencemen if they want to compete with Canada. The Canadian roster is stacked with former and future Norris trophy winners and their is nobody on the US blueline. This is the last year for Rafalski and Gleason, Whitney and Orpik have no business playing in the Olympics. They better hope that Suter and Jack Johnson develop into all stars and that Erik Johnson fully recovers from injury.

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk