Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 am

Not sure what I would have done in this situation. I believe human life is more important than any animal's, but at the same time I can certainly see myself risking my own life if my dog was in trouble. In the end, this is a very sad story. I wish this man would have waited for professionals to arrive before trying to do this on his own.

Columbus man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

COLUMBUS -- A 59-year-old Columbus man died Wednesday morning after going into a park lagoon to try to save his dog, which had fallen through thin ice into the frigid water.

Randy Shelsta was pronounced dead at Columbus Community Hospital after efforts to revive him failed.

Columbus Police Capt. Todd Thalken said Shelsta was under the water for about 30 minutes before being pulled out by rescue workers. Thalken said the lagoon is 10 to 20 feet deep in places.

Thalken said the department received a 911 call at 10:03 a.m. from a man reporting that his dog had fallen into the Pawnee Park West lagoon and he was going in after the animal.

By the time the first police officer arrived at the lagoon, Shelsta had already made one attempt to rescue his dog, returned to the bank and was making a second attempt, Thalken said.

cont'd

link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 am

I can say without a doubt I would have done the same thing. At least that's how I feel right now....at 59 I'm not so sure. I think age probably played a pretty big role in the guy not making it too. I dunno.

Also I'm not sure I would have gone twice. It sounds like the dog had been under for quite a while. You have to know you really only have one shot at something like that. :-?

Either way, really sad. :,-(
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am

How about that cop risking his life going in after the guy? I think he's the real hero here.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 am

Metroid wrote:I can say without a doubt I would have done the same thing. At least that's how I feel right now....at 59 I'm not so sure. I think age probably played a pretty big role in the guy not making it too. I dunno.

Oh, I'm sure. Going through the ice can be extremely traumatic and depending on this guy's physical condition, he could have not even had a chance once he went through the second time. I fell through ice when I was 13-14 and had to walk about 1/2 mile to get back to a heated building. Very scary.

Metroid wrote:Also I'm not sure I would have gone twice. It sounds like the dog had been under for quite a while. You have to know you really only have one shot at something like that. :-?

Obviously, like so many other things, his feelings for his dog clouded his judgment and likely would have for most of us.

knapplc wrote:How about that cop risking his life going in after the guy? I think he's the real hero here.

Definitely. I'm sure we've all seen the videos of rescue crews saving dogs, people, horses, whatever that have fallen through ice and it's incredible these peoples' selflessness and loyalty to their duty. I recall one where the fireman (I believe) grabbed this lab who had fallen through and the lab bit him in the face. After getting his composure back, he went back and saved the dog, his face bleeding from the bite.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby dream_017 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 am

I love my dog too and would do just about anything for him, but I don't thnk I would take that much of a risk with my own life for him. I would probably try to see what I could do, but if the risk was too much, I would wait for professionals.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 am

Obviously I don't know the exact situation so it was pretty foolish of me to say I would have done the same thing without a doubt. What I should have said is if something like that happened to Ginger I would have done everything I could to get her out, probably even going in the icy water. I know that sounds careless but that's honestly how I feel. :-?

That said, Ginger would never have been on the ice. ;-)
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 am

That doesn't sound careless. You love your dog. That's completely understandable. I imagine I would have gone into the water, at least a little ways, to give it a shot. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 am

Metroid wrote:That said, Ginger would never have been on the ice. ;-)

I almost posted that too.

Roscoe is getting up there in age so we don't go for a whole lot of walks, especially in the winter, but I would not have him in the situation where he could get into the danger of being on a frozen lake. We live about a mile and a half from a pretty big lake/bay, so we actually have a padlock on our gate to make sure that the neighbor kids/utility workers don't open our gate and forget to close it. It happend a few times when we first moved in and I had to chase Roscoe down the block. Knowing that there is water that close terrifies me even more.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am

knapplc wrote:That doesn't sound careless. You love your dog. That's completely understandable. I imagine I would have gone into the water, at least a little ways, to give it a shot. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try.

Yeah I think that's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not sure I would have tried repeatedly like this guy, but I would have gave it a go for sure.

Exactly dream...again Ginger never would have been on the ice. It's hard to get into situations like that when you never put yourself in them. Like I know Ginger will never get hit by a car because she's always on a leash when she's out. She'd never fall through the ice at a frozen lagoon because I wouldn't let her walk on one. :-B
Metroid

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 am

This guy should be up for a Darwin Award. Something similar happened in a town near mine a couple months ago: dog broke through the ice, brother A went after dog, broke though, brother B went after brother A, broke through, brother C went after brothers A and B, broke through. Only brother C and the dog made it out. I can understand why someone would try to save their dog, but you have to be able to assess the risk and not make a fatally stupid choice.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk