Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man dies trying to save dog in park lagoon

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am

You bring up an interesting side discussion. This was brought up by a couple pond owners I know. Their property spans acres and they let their dogs run free since there are no neighbors or roads nearby. And for the most part I believe the dogs stay close to home, just like ours did growing up. The obvious concern this dog owner had was, if his pups decided to go down to the pond following an ice over. If the ice wasn't thick enough to be walking on, a dog isn't going to know that. Shoot, some people don't know that. It sounds obvious, during these brief periods of the year when the ice is too thin to safely be on, to simply make sure you watch your dogs when they're outside. But on a ranch where dogs may be free to roam the property at any given time, it was a little more difficult for this gentleman to say, absolutely, it would never happen.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 am

Art Vandelay wrote:This guy should be up for a Darwin Award. Something similar happened in a town near mine a couple months ago: dog broke through the ice, brother A went after dog, broke though, brother B went after brother A, broke through, brother C went after brothers A and B, broke through. Only brother C and the dog made it out. I can understand why someone would try to save their dog, but you have to be able to assess the risk and not make a fatally stupid choice.

Art, I know you're not a dog person, so you probably don't quite 'get' how attached people can get to their pets, but most dog owners consider their dog to be a part of their family. So when this part of your family is in a life or death situation, sometimes judgment takes a backseat. That's simple human nature. Adrenaline.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 am

Interesting side story I read a short time ago about breaking through the ice. This ice fisherman and his brother hit this lake near his house.

Here's the background. They had had a number of consecutive days near 10 degrees then a spike where it went up to 40 degrees. Optimum conditions for any guy wanting to fish through the ice. Long cold days providing plenty of thick solid ice, but nice weather to be out there enjoying it without freezing your butt off. This particular body of water was fed by a creek that ran between 2 slopes on one side of the lake. These slopes were covered with snow.

So the guys headed out onto the ice and spent most of the day enjoying the weather and the catch. They decided to head back before it got dark. On their way back to the truck, each brother began falling through the ice. One after the other. Every few feet. Each brother fell through 3 times before they finally made it to shore and got into the truck, shredding their clothes and trying to get warm quickly.

So why did the ice break after so many consecutive cold days? The creek. The snow on the slopes around the creek melted and the creek then fed this warmer water into the lake, directly under the path these poor gentlemen took to get to and from their fishing spot.

For those of you not familiar with safe ice, here's a quick reference chart.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This guy should be up for a Darwin Award. Something similar happened in a town near mine a couple months ago: dog broke through the ice, brother A went after dog, broke though, brother B went after brother A, broke through, brother C went after brothers A and B, broke through. Only brother C and the dog made it out. I can understand why someone would try to save their dog, but you have to be able to assess the risk and not make a fatally stupid choice.

Art, I know you're not a dog person, so you probably don't quite 'get' how attached people can get to their pets, but most dog owners consider their dog to be a part of their family. So when this part of your family is in a life or death situation, sometimes judgment takes a backseat. That's simple human nature. Adrenaline.

I understand that people feel that way, but you're right, I don't "get" it. Some of my very best friends and many of my family members are this way, and I think they are all crazy. I will never understand why people place dogs above all other animals--not to mention many people--and I will certainly never understand why someone will risk their life to save a dog. I would go into freezing water to help any person I saw fall through, but I would no sooner try to save a dog than I would a mouse.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Interesting side story I read a short time ago about breaking through the ice. This ice fisherman and his brother hit this lake near his house.

Here's the background. They had had a number of consecutive days near 10 degrees then a spike where it went up to 40 degrees. Optimum conditions for any guy wanting to fish through the ice. Long cold days providing plenty of thick solid ice, but nice weather to be out there enjoying it without freezing your butt off. This particular body of water was fed by a creek that ran between 2 slopes on one side of the lake. These slopes were covered with snow.

So the guys headed out onto the ice and spent most of the day enjoying the weather and the catch. They decided to head back before it got dark. On their way back to the truck, each brother began falling through the ice. One after the other. Every few feet. Each brother fell through 3 times before they finally made it to shore and got into the truck, shredding their clothes and trying to get warm quickly.

So why did the ice break after so many consecutive cold days? The creek. The snow on the slopes around the creek melted and the creek then fed this warmer water into the lake, directly under the path these poor gentlemen took to get to and from their fishing spot.

For those of you not familiar with safe ice, here's a quick reference chart.

Obviously being from Michigan and living near lakes I hear about ice all winter every winter. :-P
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:43 pm

That sucks. I would have just held out the snausages. My former dog would do anything to get the Snausage (including getting on a picnic table, jumping down to a trampoline to get high enough to snag it out of my hand). I'm sure he would have found his way out.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to General Talk