Grillin' 2010 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grillin' 2010

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grillin' 2010

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:38 pm

First Grillin' of the year! It was 22 degrees out with a stiff breeze, but the beer stayed cold and I fired up some pork chops for pitas tonight. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm

knapplc wrote:First Grillin' of the year! It was 22 degrees out with a stiff breeze, but the beer stayed cold and I fired up some pork chops for pitas tonight. ;-D

SUH-WHEAT!!! I was standing out back with a beer or three as well when I grilled Saturday.

What'd you cook up? Pork chops and pitas... did you chop them up and make something like a pork taco?

On a wholly different note, 'pork taco' sounds like the name of a strip club in Tijuana :-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:What'd you cook up? Pork chops and pitas... did you chop them up and make something like a pork taco?

Yep, they were just like that. A rub of cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper and garlic for the chops, and a sauce made of tahini, lemon, oregano, honey, water, basil, salt & pepper for the "tacos." Top with shredded lettuce, feta, super-thin sliced cucumber and tomato, and enjoy. It was really good, and I'd be happy to share the recipe.

LOL at the Tijuana comment. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am

knapplc wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:What'd you cook up? Pork chops and pitas... did you chop them up and make something like a pork taco?

Yep, they were just like that. A rub of cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper and garlic for the chops, and a sauce made of tahini, lemon, oregano, honey, water, basil, salt & pepper for the "tacos." Top with shredded lettuce, feta, super-thin sliced cucumber and tomato, and enjoy. It was really good, and I'd be happy to share the recipe.

LOL at the Tijuana comment. :-b

wow that sounds really good...let me know if there's more details...sounds like something the wife would even eat
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 am

That does sound good. Sorta like a Cuban sandwich with a Greek flair from the tahini.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:51 am

Here's the recipe:

Pork Chop Pita Sandwiches

Sauce
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup tahini
juice from one lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Rub
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

4 1/4 inch thick pieces of pork tenderloin
4 pitas, cut in half
2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
12 thin tomato slices
12 thin cucumber slices
crumbled feta cheese

Stir the sauce ingredients in a bowl until smooth; set aside. Combine the rub ingredients. Skip this step if you bought thin cutlets: Place the tenderloin pieces between two large sheets of plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, lightly pound the chops into 1/4-inch-thick cutlets. Allow the cutlets to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the cutlets with oil and season with the rub. Grill over direct high heat for 2 minutes, turning once. Transfer the cutlets to a cutting board and cut in thin strips. Heat pitas in microwave according to package directions. Fill each pita half with pork, lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber, then top with the sauce and crumbled feta.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 pm

That sounds awesome knapp. I'm eager to try it for the sauce alone. I'm wondering what else the sauce would be good with.

I was hoping to grill today but it's been such a rough day I just want to sit on the couch and veg. I woke up exhausted and stumbled in to the kitchen and grabbed a mug and the coffee pot and proceeded to pour a cup. Unfortunately, I was holding the coffee mug upside down. When the day starts like that, ya know it aint gunna go well and ya shouldn't play with open flame. :*)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Tonight it's New York Strip with sauteed onions in a wine reduction, grilled red potatoes, and beer.

;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Getting in the car now. What's your address? :-D

Earlier today, ordered walleye at this nearby restaurant. Got them and they're basically fish sticks. And I tried to eat one. It definitely wasn't walleye. I politely asked the waitress if she would return them and she knew exactly why. Really, really horrible.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Here's what you do:

1/2 stick margarine or butter
3 yellow onions, halved, then sliced in thin half-moon sections
4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 cup red wine (cabernet or shiraz)
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
3 tbsp flour

In a large sauce pan melt butter. Slice onions and garlic and saute for about ten minutes. Halfway through add the bay leaves and thyme. Cook until onions are soft, then add flour and saute until flour is cooked so you don't have a raw flour taste. Then add wine and cook down on a low simmer to thicken.

Spoon this over your steak and you're in heaven.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk