Grillin' 2010 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grillin' 2010

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grillin' 2010

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:42 pm

From your link dream:

Who wants to heat up an oven to 450°F or higher on a hot summer day? If you use a grill to make pizza, you can keep the heat outside where it belongs.

This is the #1 reason I grill pizza. I love me some homemade pizza, I could eat it once a week, but in the summer I use my oven as little as possible. They're also dead on about grilling one side for 2 minutes first and flipping, that's the key. The first time I grilled pizza I didn't flip it...no good. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:31 pm

My house is a ranch oriented north/south, so my walkout faces west. My kitchen is on the west, and there are no trees obstructing that late afternoon summer sun. It gets up to 90-91 degrees in there without cooking, easy. That's why I don't cook indoors during the summer anymore, and why I started doing my pizza outside. It's pretty easy, and that trick of flipping it once is the key.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm

grilled marlin, asparagus, red potatoes tonight. Haven't had marlin in ages. It came out very well. Whipped up EVOO, lemon juice, salt, and the lawry's lemon pepper blend or whatever brand it is and turned it a few times in that over a half hour or so.

if you've never had it, marlin flesh looks kinda like swordfish, but with some pink, and is more tender than sword when cooked, and has more of a salmon texture and flake. Goes great with beer ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 pm

I got a few cups of fresh basil from my mom yesterday and made pesto. Got some huge shrimp today and tossed them with pesto and a little extra oil, then wrapped a slice of proscuitto around each. Similar to the bacon-wrapped stuff posted previously but far less grease. Grilled them up, served on top of linguine with grilled vegetables on the side. ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I got a few cups of fresh basil from my mom yesterday and made pesto. Got some huge shrimp today and tossed them with pesto and a little extra oil, then wrapped a slice of proscuitto around each. Similar to the bacon-wrapped stuff posted previously but far less grease. Grilled them up, served on top of linguine with grilled vegetables on the side. ;-D

Dang that sounds good. I made a spicy prawn stir-fry tonight that was quite good.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Rosemary chicken, honey maple brown sugar sweet potatoes, sweet corn. All grilled on a chilly, breezy Fall day complete with college football!!

Here's the bird. Put a bunch of fresh rosemary twigs under the skin, along with garlic, salt and pepper.

Met, I tried a new way of grilling sweet potatoes, it worked very well. Check these bad boys out, along with the corn, a couple slices of chicken breast, and a chunk of thigh.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:10 pm

What did you do different for the sweet potatoes?
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

Metroid wrote:What did you do different for the sweet potatoes?

sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Met, just now saw this as I was showing a coworker pics. I'm having more grilled chicken and sweet potatoes for lunch today... leftovers for the win.

I cleaned them pretty well to get off any dirt, then boiled them for about 4 or 5 minutes, depending on how big they are, to where a fork stuck in them meets resistance, but no where near as much as a raw sweet potato has. Then cool them quickly with ice cold water to stop the cooking (and make it possible to handle them). Then I peeled the skin off and any bad spots. Then I sliced them into half inch or so slices. At this point they are softened, but not cooked, with the intent being to grill them suffienctly to finish cooking them but not having to grill them so long from the raw state that they would dry out. I just used a little oil to keep them from sticking and towards the end I brushed on a mixture of butter (1part), maple syrup (3 parts) and honey (3 parts). Poured the rest of the baste on them when they were done. Much more tender and 'juicy' and better texture than my previous attempts ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Awesome. Par boiling them makes a lot of sense, I'll try that next time for sure. ;-D
Metroid

Previous

Return to General Talk