Grillin' 2010 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grillin' 2010

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grillin' 2010

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 am

Two good grill sessions in the last week. Blackened chicken breasts last Thursday with a dry spice rub and a bit of BBQ sauce. Tonight did chicken again with a honey mustard marinade. I liked the first one better. Used a few hot spices so it had a good kick but still lots of flavour. Gotta love BBQing in the gorgeous weather.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I threw some Johnsonville Cajun sausages on the grill the other night and put a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice and Cheese on the stove.

I sliced up the sausages and mixed it together with the Jambalaya and WOW! That was an easy meal that pretty awesome. ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:03 am

joejlitz wrote:I threw some Johnsonville Cajun sausages on the grill the other night and put a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice and Cheese on the stove.

I sliced up the sausages and mixed it together with the Jambalaya and WOW! That was an easy meal that pretty awesome. ;-D

i bet you got a weeks worth of sodium in that meal :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:03 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
joejlitz wrote:I threw some Johnsonville Cajun sausages on the grill the other night and put a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice and Cheese on the stove.

That's funny because my wife just started making me aware of high sodium foods and it appears that everything that is good has about 700 mg of sodium
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

joejlitz wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

That's funny because my wife just started making me aware of high sodium foods and it appears that everything that is good has about 700 mg of sodium

EVERYTHING. I learned all about sodium when I was caring for my dad. Next time you have a soda look at the side of the can, you'll be surprised how much is in one can. Everyone would be amazed if they actually tracked the amount of sodium they ingest in one day. Fairly recently I've been trying and moderate my sodium intake since there's a history of heart attacks and congestive heart failure in my family. My dad and all of my aunts and uncles died from heart related issues, granted they all smoked which I quit doing. We all gotta die sometime by something, but congestive heart failure is a crappy way to go. :-t

Back on topic, last night I grilled up some ribs with Chaka's Mmm! Sauce. Man I love that sodium packed stuff. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 am

That's why I very rarely add salt to anything I cook. Even if it's bland, I figure I get plenty of salt in the other foods I eat.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

knapplc wrote:That's why I very rarely add salt to anything I cook. Even if it's bland, I figure I get plenty of salt in the other foods I eat.

That's a good call. Adults should be consuming no more than 1,500 and 2,300 mg of sodium a day. Middle to late age folks should be more toward the low end of that range. It's soooo easy to ingest more than that, people really don't realize it. A single package of Top Raman contains 800 mg of sodium alone. :-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:That's why I very rarely add salt to anything I cook. Even if it's bland, I figure I get plenty of salt in the other foods I eat.

That's a good call. Adults should be consuming no more than 1,500 and 2,300 mg of sodium a day. Middle to late age folks should be more toward the low end of that range. It's soooo easy to ingest more than that, people really don't realize it. A single package of Top Raman contains 800 mg of sodium alone. :-o

I'm on high blood pressure meds, so I don't have to worry about sodium any more. :-[

The cafeteria at work is terrible. A bowl of soup has 1200mg of sodium. I've seen some items have 1800mgs. It's terrible.

On a grillin' note, I did up a pork chop so big it could only have come from a pig named Rosanne. And tonight was chicken leg quarters, brushed with Stubb's hickory bourbon BBQ sauce, with grilled zuchinni and baked beans. :-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:24 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I'm on high blood pressure meds, so I don't have to worry about sodium any more. :-[

The cafeteria at work is terrible. A bowl of soup has 1200mg of sodium. I've seen some items have 1800mgs. It's terrible.

On a grillin' note, I did up a pork chop so big it could only have come from a pig named Rosanne. And tonight was chicken leg quarters, brushed with Stubb's hickory bourbon BBQ sauce, with grilled zuchinni and baked beans. :-D

that's how i feel about taking cholesterol medicine..."meh, i'm taking medicine so i can eat this whole pint of Hagen-Daz"...they make Diabetes pills too right ;-7

i do try to eat better and excercise now, although finding the motivation to excercise during the week is tought. i cant convince myself to do it before work and after work i cant either

i've definately tried to cut out processed foods as much as i can though...it's the high fat meats that i cant seem to give up

so with all that said we're having burgers tonight :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:59 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:so with all that said we're having burgers tonight :-b

whenever I make steak, I trim the excess fat and store it in the fridge. then when I make burgers I'll puree it in the food processor and mix it in with the ground beer. :-L ;-D

j/k, but doesn't that sound good?

tonight is going to be the other half of the chicken. Last night was the leg quarters, tonight will be the breast quarters.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk