Brian Westbrook (SF) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook (SF)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brian Westbrook (2010)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Free-agent RB Brian Westbrook is going to St. Louis on Saturday for a visit and a physical with the Rams, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Westbrook missed eight games last season because of concussions, but he has been through vigorous testing and is eager to continue his career. The Packers also have been in contact with him, according to sources, and remain a distinct possibility.

Both the Rams and Packers have staffs well versed in the West Coast system run by the Eagles, in which Westbrook was a dynamic force in the passing game. He would be brought in to compliment the feature back in either locale, and he also would bring strong leadership and experience to the locker room.

Source: http://www.NFL.com

That would be a decent place for him. SJax's value would drop a bit especially in PPR if this deal gets done.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

True, if Westbrook stays healthy. I don't see him signing in STL, though - or anywhere else where they play on astro turf.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 19, 2010 5:35 pm

So given that the draft is over and teams are setting rosters and depth charts, is it safe to assume that Westbrook (and possibly other FAs) isn't in any team's immediate plans?

I would guess he doesn't get sign until we get closer to training camp and/or we see an injury to someone else's backfield.

Either way, it's amazing how quickly the mighty have fallen. Tough to see him go out like this. He went from NFL MVP candidate 2-3 years ago to can't find a job. It also sucks that my wife just got a Westbrook jersey last year - after she already had a McNabb one. :-P
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmm...

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday that free-agent running back Brian Westbrook is still "under consideration" to be signed by the team.

Shanahan, addressing the media at the end of an organized team activity session, was asked about Westbrook, who visited the Redskins last week.

Westbrook also visited the Denver Broncos last week and passed a physical with the St. Louis Rams during the draft.

Westbrook isn't in a hurry to sign with a team and is weighing his options. His agent, Todd France, said some interested teams are expected to pick up communication next week.

Westbrook had spent his entire eight-year NFL career with the Philadelphia Eagles, but the team released him in March after an injury-plagued 2009 season. He sustained two concussions and finished with just 274 rushing yards in eight games.

Source: NFL.com
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Thu May 20, 2010 5:10 pm

I would think most teams will want to sign their draft picks before pursuing aging FAs. Always sad to be reminded of just how fragile an NFL career is, especially for RBs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Westbrook to wear Gold and Crimson:

Brian Westbrook so wants to be part of a winning team that he accepted a backup job across the country with the San Francisco 49ers.

The 49ers signed the free agent running back to a one-year deal Monday, giving Westbrook the second chance he's been seeking in recent months. Westbrook's deal is worth a base $1.25 million and a maximum of $2.5 million with all incentives, a league source tells NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

The St. Louis Rams, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins were other teams considering Westbrook, who ultimately said his decision wasn't all about money at this stage.
The two-time Pro Bowler spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Eagles, holding the team's all-time records in receptions (426), receiving yards (3,790) and receiving touchdowns (29) by a running back.

Since 2004, Westbrook leads all NFL RBs in receptions (380), receiving yards (3,372), receiving TDs (25) and yards after catch (3,137).

San Francisco finished 8-8 last season and will settle for nothing less than reaching the playoffs this year and ending a seven-year postseason drought.

"My number one concern throughout the process was going to a winning team, a football team that was coached by a man I respect and a team that had a winning tradition and players that would be able to achieve that," Westbrook said when formally introduced Monday night. "I think I found all of those things here in San Francisco. It was a long process but in the end I think it turned out well for me."

Coach Mike Singletary made things perfectly clear with his would-be player: Frank Gore is the Niners' No. 1 back. And that is unlikely to change.

NFL dot com

Gore's value might take a slight hit in PPR as Westbrook is well-known for his pass catching skills.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Brian Westbrook (SF)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Right now it seems Westbrook might be worth adding only as a handcuff or in the deepest of leagues. Dixon didn't have impressive numbers, and Westbrook should be the first sub-in, but Westbrook won't be on the field for every play if Gore goes out.

Brian Westbrook was dressed in full pads for Sunday night's preseason game against the Vikings, but did not play.

Anthony Dixon handled the vast majority of the workload, carrying 20 times for 50 yards and a touchdown with three receptions for eight yards. Westbrook will likely pass Dixon to be Frank Gore's "change of pace" before Week 1, but Gore doesn't have a clear-cut handcuff. Dixon will be heavily involved -- and perhaps even start -- if Gore misses regular season time.

Source: Rotoworld
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Having a fresh B Westbrook come in as the change of pace, or 3rd down pass catching RB is pretty solid. No promises he does not get his head smacked on the first run of the year and its lights out for him but it could work out really good for them. Westbrook was one of my favorite people ever in fantasy football. RBs go from the best in the game to out of the league in a matter of 2-3 years, its crazy.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Montana168 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Just my two cents, but I don't think Westy is a must-own handcuff for Frank Gore owners. IMO, Westbrook was brought in to mainly play out of the spread/shotgun offense. As many Alex Smith owners/fans know, Smith was the most successful last year (and throughout his college/pro career) out of the spread offense, however; Gore is much more successful with a blocking FB in front of him running down hill. I think Westbrook will be used in this manner to try and maximize the return out of the RB position. However, I don't think Westbrook will take more than 5-7 MAX touches away from Gore because he usually needs about 20 or so carries to do his damage. Also, if Gore goes down with an injury (which is common when you are running on two repaired shoulders and knees as he is) it will be a two-headed RBBC between Westbrook and Dixon, who was impressive in the preseason.

In conclusion, neither westbrook or dixon MUST be handcuffed in later rounds for Frank Gore owners, however; in dynasty leagues I would stash Dixon ahead of Westbrook, but for now, Westbrook is probably the better option to Dixon if you feel safer stashing at least one of them in redraft leagues.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:35 am

Westbrook might be fantasy relevant for the one or two games Gore will almost surely miss this year. For the rest of the season, he shall remain in fantasy football obscurity.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Football Talk