Word Processor in Windows 7 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Word Processor in Windows 7

Moderator: Football Moderators

Word Processor in Windows 7

Postby sox 06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 (was running Vista). It didn't come with Microsoft Works Word Processor and my question is, can I somehow go through HP and get it as my laptop, which I bought last June, came with MWWP. Or do I need to buy it or just go with Open Office?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Word Processor in Windows 7

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I think you need to buy it. Or you could download the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

Mine works fine so far.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Munboy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:13 am

sox 06 wrote:I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 (was running Vista). It didn't come with Microsoft Works Word Processor and my question is, can I somehow go through HP and get it as my laptop, which I bought last June, came with MWWP. Or do I need to buy it or just go with Open Office?

My guess would be you have to buy it. The only time you get Word free is on a new system. Just go with Open Office. It works just fine, plus it can now open docx files, which is a HUGE plus!
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 am

Munboy wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 (was running Vista). It didn't come with Microsoft Works Word Processor and my question is, can I somehow go through HP and get it as my laptop, which I bought last June, came with MWWP. Or do I need to buy it or just go with Open Office?

My guess would be you have to buy it. The only time you get Word free is on a new system. Just go with Open Office. It works just fine, plus it can now open docx files, which is a HUGE plus!

The only reason why I'm hesitant to go with Open Office is its usually a system hog (at least in my past experiences). But the last time I ran OO was on a four year old Dell and my laptop trumps that computer when it comes to specs. Hopefully it will run smoothly ;-D

However, don't new computers usually come with discs that have Windows and the programs that are on the computer in case you need to reinstall them? My laptop didn't come with discs as most new computers have the files loaded on the computer, but isn't it possible to contact, say HP, and get discs if you prefer to have discs? I know our Dell desktop came with a Microsoft Works disc and Word was on it. I used the disc to reinstall Word on the desktop when I reinstalled XP about a month ago. Just curious.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I think you need to buy it. Or you could download the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

Mine works fine so far.

I decided to get the Beta and its good until October so it will at least get me through the rest of this semester. ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to General Talk