Antwaan Randle El (WR)-3 years/7 million
Jonathan Scott (OT)- Terms not Disclosed

Re-Signed
Casey Hampton (NT)- 3 years
Ryan Clark (FS)- 4 years/14 million

Franchise Tag
Jeff Reed (K)

Draft Needs
OT- Always need depth at OT to help Big Ben stay on his feet this is an area that we need to really upgrade in this draft.
CB- The secondary is the one area that needs help year after year. Let's go get a shutdown corner.
RB- I think that Willie is coming back, but we need depth either way
QB- Only have Ben and Dixon on the roster currently need a player that can back Ben up and help Dixon grow into the backup of the future. Batch does not fit this role anymore... too injury prone.

I think the FA signings have been good so far, most importantly we got back Hampton, Reed, and Clark and we added Randle El which should help our kick return game. IMO, Sweed is all but gone unless something magical happens.

What are your thoughts?
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Off Season News

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Add MLB to the needs list. I know that they just re-signed Larry Foote, but unless they think he or Keyaron Fox could be a starter in a year or two, they need to find someone who can eventually (sooner rather than later) replace James Farrior, whose play has fallen off as of late. They also may consider picking up a nose tackle in the draft considering the age of Casey Hampton, their lack of any viable replacement, and a wealth of talent at DT in this year's draft.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Munboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 am

The Steelers will definitely go OL or CB in the first round. There will be talent available around their pick. Depending on who's available, I'd prefer at CB. That is a more desperate help needed position.

If they don't bring Fast(ish) Willie back, I'd like to seem them go FA instead of draft. I'd like to see them bring in a bigger back to help Moore carry the load if Mendy goes down. We might be able to get Betts at a reasonable price. Gado should be cheap, or maybe even bring Haynes back.

As far as QBs go, Batch would be their best bet considering who is available. If Ben gets suspended (or jailed...or hurt), I don't trust Dixon to lead the team. Josh McCown maybe or try to get a restricted FA from somebody...such as Kellen Clemens (not sure what tag he has on him).

They definitely need to look for a big man to start grooming behind Hampton in later rounds.

I'm comfortable with Fox behind Farrior for now. He hasn't done that bad when he's seen the field. Unless there's a gem hidden in the draft at ILB, I'm ok if they don't pick anybody up.

All-in-all, they Steelers need to load up on CBs in this draft and let them fight it out for a starting spot across from Taylor. They also need to look for quality guys who are more than willing to play ST, a glaring weakness last year.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby petedog9 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 am

I read somewhere that Parker said the he would rather retire then come back to Pittsburgh. He felt very slighted after being benched last year for Mendy.. Not sure why.. He YPC was like 2.7.. So long Willie...

The more I think about it, the more I think that they wont take a CB in the draft. They spent 2 early picks on CBS last year and I would bet that they are going to give them a crack at it first. My guess is OL or DT depending on who falls to them..

Now if we can just keep the players away from women in bars... :-o
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:01 pm

O-Line primary need along with anyone that can cover in the secondary. QB in my opinion should be addressed thru a trade. Even if Ben dosen't lose playing time, all we have is Dixon. Batch is a Quasi Coach now. Rounds 1 and 3 oline, corner is deep in this draft, so take one in rounds 2,4,5,6,7. Special teams have been addressed well with some of the signings. Even in the 70's our special teams were never great.
jake
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, move WR up near the top of needs now. Mike Wallace should be able to replace Holmes, but other than him, they don't have anyone on the roster who has shown the potential to be a starter in the long term, and Hines Ward isn't going to last forever.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Munboy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Well, move WR up near the top of needs now. Mike Wallace should be able to replace Holmes, but other than him, they don't have anyone on the roster who has shown the potential to be a starter in the long term, and Hines Ward isn't going to last forever.

Agreed. Ward is starting to lose a step (very painful for me to say). WR is not a pressing need though. Going into this year with Ward at WR1, Wallace at WR2, and Randel El at WR3, I'm comfortable with that. WR is not very deep in this year's draft. If they do pick up a WR, I'd like to see them target one of the big guys expected to go in 3rd or 4th round. Benn from illy, LaFell from ISU or Cooper from Florida. Give Ben that tall guy he's been asking for and start grooming him for when Ward retires....which I hope is several years down the road.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers