Webpage help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Webpage help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Webpage help

Postby Munboy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Any webpage designers here? I could use a little help with a webpage for my Linguistic research project.

My webpage skills are limited to very basic HTML and what I'm wanting to do is build a few pages where visitors can take a short survey and then the results are anonymously emailed to me.

What I'm looking for in the survey is I'll ask a question and then there will be a series of buttons from "Strongly agree" to "Agree" to "Strongly agree"....That type of thing. There's a name for this type of survey, but I don't remember it. Once they're done clicking the circle things, they click the submit button and it's emailed to me without asking for any personal information....OH, the survey might include age, location, and gender questions.

Anyways, is there anybody out there who can help, or can direct me to a good website that has prebuilt codes?

Any help will be appreciated.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Webpage help

Postby sox 06 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:19 pm

This website has some good information and tutorials on HTML/JavaScript/etc. I've been using it for the past couple of weeks while I've been building a website as a project for my work study and its been very helpful so far.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:08 pm

sox 06 wrote:This website has some good information and tutorials on HTML/JavaScript/etc. I've been using it for the past couple of weeks while I've been building a website as a project for my work study and its been very helpful so far.

Thanks sox. I'll look at it to see if it will help! ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm a developer, although I seldom cross the cafe divide with fantasy baseball drafts going on and all. :-b

With the HTML, you should create a form by using the <form> element. Any elements that act as input for your survey go within the form tags, like this:
Code: Select all
<html>
<body>
<form action="blah.php" method="post">
<p>Do you like waffles?</p>
<input type="radio" name="question1" value="Yes">Yes
<input type="radio" name="question1" value="No">No
<p>Do you like French toast?</p>
<input type="radio" name="question2" value="Yes">Yes
<input type="radio" name="question2" value="No">No
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Finish survey" />
</form>

Your form should have inputs, as listed by their type. In this case, what you want are radio buttons which will only select one of the options for each question. The name attribute groups the inputs to one particular question, such that clicking "No" on waffles won't automatically apply a "No" on French toast. The value simply means the result of the input.

Setting up the form is half the battle, but when the user clicks on submit, all that info has to go somewhere, which is what the action attribute in the form element is for. You can then use Javascript and a separate script from the page that emails the result to you.

You can also use a PHP script and a database (MySQL, for example) to store the info on your website. Most web hosts have PHP and a database (often times MySQL) configured for use on your site. Such a route will be more involving though. You could find free, written PHP/MySQL code that you can plug in for your forms. However, some of that code is either outdated or written by a hack, who doesn't really know too much about writing proper, secure PHP code.

Good luck and have fun. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks artful! I think I found one of those build your own survey websites that might serve my needs without diving into SQL and all of that. Only problem is, for the survey taker's ease of use, I want to keep it all on one page, and using a survey site won't allow me to do the other things I will be doing. So, I'll look into your suggestions though. Hopefully my limited HTML and SQL knowledge will get me by. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to General Talk