Happy St. Paddy's Day!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

Postby joejlitz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 am

scottaa1 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Gotta switch to Gin and Soda though sice I'm doing Atkins along with the 100 pushups

If I'm not mistaken, any alcohol you drink is metabolized into sugars which are burned before any stored energy would be, so alcohol is a no-no for Atkins.

Look on the bright side, you can eat as many baconburgers you want, you'll just have to stay sober.

I don't know why it's ok - it just is 'cause I say it is! :-D Seriously, for whatever reason, when I drink clear liquors (vodka, gin, clear rum, etc.) with a no carb soda, I'm good to go. I've hit this diet a few times since 2004 and always have had success in the short term. I ALWAYS combine it with exercise. I don't feel committed to the diet unless I exercise and then it is too easy to quit watching what I eat. Next thing you know, I'm back in the drive through.

I'm not a big guy. 5'7" and 159 right now. I'm just trying to tone the beach muscles before we go to Myrtle Beach in May. I figure the diet and the 100 pushups/200 situps combined with some cardio and other limited weight training will get it done.

scottaa1 wrote:Look on the bright side, you can eat as many baconburgers you want, you'll just have to stay sober.

Mmmm...bacon. :-L

Mom wrote:FYI Atkins is probably one of the most unhealthy diets you can try and blah blah blah blah blah.

In one ear and out the other. :-D

Dan Lambskin wrote:gin and tonic it's like Christmas in your mouth
you should give Hendricks a try...someone reccomended it on the Dark Side...it's a little bit different tasting gin though

Christmas in your mouth. Now that's funny. ;-D I'll have to use that on my wife next time I'm trying to get her to taste...ah never mind. ;-7
Thanks for the recommendation on Hendricks. I'll give it a shot.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Mom wrote:Gin is garbage alcohol, don't drink that stuff.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:you could have at least gone with Jameson

So I'm busy around the house today (rented a rug doctor... I wish I had hardwood floors), and I'm starting to get tired and I'm hangin' a little from last night. So I figure, Irish coffee as a caffeine jolt and a pick me up. Got some Canada Dry as well, to make the whiskey gingers that Met's friend with the adam's apple likes.

Get home, notice the receipt was $8.00 for a 12 of ginger ale and quart of heavy cream. They didn't charge me the $25 for the Jameson. :-S
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Metroid wrote:
Mom wrote:Gin does the body good.

Fixed :-)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:20 pm

OM NOM NOM NOM OM NOM NOM NOM

Grilled up some herbsmack chicken, rosemary red potatoes, and asparagus tonight.

Oh, and I'm drinking beer ;-D

"Tastes like... Victory"

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:13 am

Metroid wrote:
joejlitz wrote:I'm drinking gin and tonic a lot lately. It's got a good taste for my maturing taste buds. :-B

Gotta switch to Gin and Soda though sice I'm doing Atkins along with the 100 pushups

FYI Atkins is probably one of the most unhealthy diets you can try. In the short term your brain function will be affected and you may feel dizzyness, weakness, and insomnia. Your brain and the rest of your body needs carbs to function properly. The brain's main fuel source is glucose, and glucose is made from breaking down carbs. Your body uses the carbs you ingest to make glucose into energy, if there are none, it uses what's in fat stores. Drastically reducing the intake of carbs can seriously disrupt your brains ability to function.

In the long term, a high intake of fat, especially saturated fats, increases the risk of heart disease. With the Atkins diet you may be seriously limiting essential vitamins and minerals. Low calcium = osteoporosis. High protein diets can lead to kidney problems as well. Fruits which are certainly off limits under Atkins diet, as well as many veggies, have shown to protect against cancer. I mean Dr. Atkins himself died from a heart attack...big surprise.

Diets do not work in the long term, exercise and a balanced diet does.

Take that for what it's worth though from a guy that does not exercise enough and could lose a few pounds himself. :-B

Hey Met! I just found out that Captain Morgan's has only 3 carbs per ounce, so that is definitely on my list of "approved" foods! ;-D

Seriously, it is.

But seriously, you will be glad to know that I've expanded my card intake. I eat all kinds of fruits and veggies. I throw fruit into my protein shake, which has about ten carbs per glass. I also mixed in small portions of pasta, and I've indulged in a few sweets. All in all, with this diet and the 100/200 PUs/SUs program, I went from 165 to 156 in about 3 weeks. That's pretty good. Probably too fast, but that is more from the intensity of my cardio than it is from what I eat. I still take in a lot of calories.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 am

If you're wanting to watch carbs just make sure to check the carbs on whatever you're mixing the Cap'n with, like cola. :-o
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:42 am

Real men drink beer.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:46 am

scottaa1 wrote:Real men drink beer.

And intake carbs. :-b
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 am

Metroid wrote:If you're wanting to watch carbs just make sure to check the carbs on whatever you're mixing the Cap'n with, like cola. :-o

Coke Zero. No calories. No carbs.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk