I've been thinking about my retirement location a lot recently. I believe I'll be hitting Tampa and these are the reasons I'm considering:
1) Military Base with lots of jobs. It's expanding and creating more jobs in the area.
2) "Big city" with a small town feel. Lots to do.
3) Bucs, Rays, Lightning and Spring Training less than an hour away
5) Beaches and Water Sports
6) Busch Gardens & Sea World
7) Micky Mouse and Universal only about an hour and a half away
8) Small airport that goes everywhere and has Southwest. You can show up an hour before your flight and still make it.
9) Lots of Northerners transplanted = lots of good Northern food at the restaurants (pizza, strombolis, and cheesesteaks! Yum!)
You should consider it. It would be a lot cheaper than SD. Plus, LT has moved on.