Seriously considering moving to San Diego - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Seriously considering moving to San Diego

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seriously considering moving to San Diego

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey guys.

So I'm more than likely leaving the wonderfully rainy state of Oregon for beach weather year around. Have any of you lived there? I'm hesitant only because of the traffic, taxes, drug cartels, deficit, cost of living, overcrowding, and it's too far from Autzen Stadium/Qwest Field. On the flip side, we LOVE the beach and would probably settle in Del Mar. I could still see the Ducks in LA once a year, adopt the Chargers as a good #2 pro team, get used to the traffic, and start using drugs (speaking of which, whatever happened to Tiki?).

Anyway... any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seriously considering moving to San Diego

Postby joejlitz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I've been thinking about my retirement location a lot recently. I believe I'll be hitting Tampa and these are the reasons I'm considering:

1) Military Base with lots of jobs. It's expanding and creating more jobs in the area.
2) "Big city" with a small town feel. Lots to do.
3) Bucs, Rays, Lightning and Spring Training less than an hour away
4) Weather
5) Beaches and Water Sports
6) Busch Gardens & Sea World
7) Micky Mouse and Universal only about an hour and a half away
8) Small airport that goes everywhere and has Southwest. You can show up an hour before your flight and still make it.
9) Lots of Northerners transplanted = lots of good Northern food at the restaurants (pizza, strombolis, and cheesesteaks! Yum!)

You should consider it. It would be a lot cheaper than SD. Plus, LT has moved on. O:-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks Joe. We did throw around the gulf coast. I've lived out there before. Thing is, we're west coast people. All our family is out here. Both our kids and colleges and probably their future and grandkids will be out here. 8-o We just decided to stay out west.

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 am

I've been to San Diego once, but I loved it. There's so much to do. It's a clean city. It's right on the ocean and there's the bazillion things to do in the harbor there. If you move down there, I might have to visit. Just get a comfy couch.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 am

I have a cousin who lives in San Diego, I used to spend summers with her as a kid, it is a beautiful place to live. I was born and raised in Cali and love it. San Diego is way too expensive for me though.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby biju » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm not sure I could stand rooting for Philip Rivers. :-D

The winters have been taking a toll on me as well, although I'm no where near retirement--I'm guessing at least 20 years. That's why we've been doing winter vacations (we just got back from Tanzania) and I don't expect them to stop too soon.

When we retire it's going to be tough to leave Seattle, but I think we could be on the East Coast. This is primarily because of how cheap it is to go to Europe and it's a much shorter plane ride, especially out of JFK. There's also a lot of talk about heading into Latin America where the dollar stretches far and it's pretty solid weather. Belize would be ideal because the water is safe...

Man, now I'm ready for another vacation. How far away is Oktoberfest again? ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 pm

We actually honey-mooned in Temecula, a short drive from SD. It is wine country out there, so we stayed at the Lawrence Welk resort, got a limo, and spent a day sipping wine from about 5 different vinyards. We went to SD for a day, but didn't get to explore it to the point it probably deserves.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 pm

knapplc wrote:If you move down there, I might have to visit. Just get a comfy couch.

You are always welcome and the Nfl Fan house! ;-)

biju wrote:I'm not sure I could stand rooting for Philip Rivers.

Trust me... crossed my mind! :-D

Although with the trade they just pulled over on the Seahawks, I might have to switch permanently just due to the sheer stupidity of it all! :-C

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Never lived in San Diego, but given how it's only about 2 hour drive from L.A., I'm usually in town for about 3-4 times a year at least. Most of those times have to do with my trips down to Petco Park to see the Dodgers play the Madres. :-D

I really love San Diego though. For me, a posh apartment near Petco and Gaslamp would be an ideal pad. A bit pricey, but really much of SoCal is pricey and if I remember right, L.A. and Orange County are pricier than San Diego, of course depending on where you're situated. Even if you don't like baseball, the tickets at Petco are pretty cheap. This year, you can get a premium club seat for under $65 a pop, with in-seat food and drink service and I believe there's also a buffet (never seated there, first time as I just bought my Dodgers-Padres tix if you're wondering :-b).
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

San Diego wrote:Nah, we're good, dude... you can stay in Portland. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk