Offical: McNabb to Washington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offical: McNabb to Washington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offical: McNabb to Washington

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Donovan McNabb is changing uniforms and staying in the NFC East.

The Philadelphia Eagles traded McNabb to the Washington Redskins for a pair of draft picks on Sunday night. The Eagles will receive a second-round pick (37th overall) in this month's NFL draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5055346
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Offical: McNabb to Washington

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 am

Didn't see that one coming. Right now I would...

Upgrade:
Kevin Kolb...Good supporting cast, could be a steal.
Washington RBs and WRs...McNabb is certainly an upgrade on Campbell or any QB they may have drafted.

Downgrade:
Donovan McNabb... Leaves pass-happy Philly, don't like the receivers as much as Philly's.
Philly WRs... I'd expect some growing pains from Kolb

Wait and See
LeSean McCoy...Maybe they will run the ball more than 35 percent of the time now?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 am

portisfan24 wrote:Didn't see that one coming. Right now I would...

Upgrade:
Kevin Kolb...Good supporting cast, could be a steal.
Washington RBs and WRs...McNabb is certainly an upgrade on Campbell or any QB they may have drafted.

Downgrade:
Donovan McNabb... Leaves pass-happy Philly, don't like the receivers as much as Philly's.
Philly WRs... I'd expect some growing pains from Kolb

Wait and See
LeSean McCoy...Maybe they will run the ball more than 35 percent of the time now?

In mind mind this also means that the Redskins *believe* the Rams are going Bradford #1. I think this means for the draft:

1. Bradford
2. Suh/McCoy
3. McCoy/Suh
4. Okung

This puts the Chiefs in a strange spot IMO. Up until now I think they had penciled in Okung and are now in need to revisiting their board.

I wonder how this will affect Devin Thomas. I've read a couple reports that he's "matured" over the offseason and he does happen to hit his magical 3rd year this year. I'm wondering if he's a good person to target in the mid-late rounds or if he's just never going to be anything worth while?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Munboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:42 am

Wow...Were the Eagles really that hard up to get rid of McNabb that they would trade him in division? They got a pretty good deal with a 2 and 3 or 4th, but....still. In division? There's a reason Jets had a no-minny clause in their Favre trade to the Jets and we all found out why last year...No, never mind, the Redskins suck. :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 am

I'm just stunned they moved him in division even for what they got back.

As far as the Chiefs go if Okung is in fact gone(which was never the lock pick anyways) it will be either Bulaga or Berry most likely. Who knows with Pioli and company.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby petedog9 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 am

To expand on Biju's comments with teh Redskins and the Rams.. What if they use Mc Nabb to try and go after the Rams #1 pick? Not saying I would do it but...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 am

Obviously Reid and Co. don't feel McNabb has anything left in the tank and isn't a threat, for their sake they better be right.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 am

logan wrote:I'm just stunned they moved him in division even for what they got back.

Andy Reid was set on getting an early 2nd rounder, one way or another. When they first announced the new format whereby the first round of the draft is day 1 and the 2nd round starts day 2, Reid was quoted as saying how much he would love an early pick so as to have the night to sleep on it (and probably make more trades).

OAK was a good fit for that, but Reid, having shared the last 11 years with McNabb, didn't want to send him to a Black Hole like that (or BUF). WAS was in a similar situation and Reid made that choice. Says Paul Domowitch in today's Philly Daily News: "ANDY REID'S willingness to trade Donovan McNabb to the Redskins tells us a lot more about the kind of man he is than it does about his football judgment."

Reid showed respect by trading McNabb to Redskins

Metroid wrote:Obviously Reid and Co. don't feel McNabb has anything left in the tank and isn't a threat...

Having followed this situation and the team very closely, I can tell you that it wasn't about that. In fact, my guess is that the team strongly believes that McNabb has quite a bit left in the tank. However, with Kolb, the future is now. He's been on the bench for a couple of years now, started 4 games last year and went over 300 in all 4 (and 400 in at least 1). DJACK, McCoy, Maclin. It's time for the offense to grow together. I believe we're headed for an 8 or 9 win season so that we can compete for a SB in 2011 (upgrades to the defense dependant).

Add to that that this was McNabb's contract year, his age, no collective bargaining agreement in place for next year, and 3
good QBs on the team and they had to make a decision. They weren't gonna trade Kolb.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Munboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Metroid wrote:Obviously Reid and Co. don't feel McNabb has anything left in the tank and isn't a threat...

Having followed this situation and the team very closely, I can tell you that it wasn't about that.

McNabb seems to run out of gas as the season progresses. He's never been an accurate passer...he's up there in the pass decade in terms of wins, TDs, and yardage, but his lifetime completion rating is just below 60 I believe. And it seems (to a casual observer) that he fades the deeper they go into the playoffs, his accuracy become atrocious. I think that's why Philly fans aren't to fond of him and the Eagles felt it was time to move on. He's an aging QB with a history of fading and accuracy problems...couple that with a salary bonus and this being the last year they'll get something for him (FA next year), I figure it was time to move on....But in division???? :-?

On the flip side of the trade, good move by the 'skins. Now they'll be able to pick up one of the stud OTs hanging around the top of the draft pecking order to try and solidify the OL. Campbell can sit behind McNabb and learn...if it looks like he's not going to be the guy, they can draft a QB next year to groom to replace McNabb in a few years....That is if they can work out an extension on McNabb's contract. Any word on that?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:44 pm

If you honestly believe that Reid & Co. traded McNabb to the Skins out of "respect" I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. This is business, there is no way he let his pro bowl quarterback go to a division rival unless he felt his best was far behind him. This is more about the Skins offering what the Eagles were looking for, and Reid not feeling threatened but McNabb's ability in Washington, than "respect." If McNabb really wanted to go there then it just made the decision easier for Reid.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk