Offical: McNabb to Washington - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offical: McNabb to Washington

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Offical: McNabb to Washington

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Here comes yet another off-season in Washington of, "REDSKINS ARE GOIN' TO THE SUPER BOWL ZOMG THEY'RE SO GOOD OMFG D00D!!!!!!!!" And if history is any indication, this will be followed by a record somewhere in the realm of 7-9.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

While I wil agree that Reid probably has respect for Donovan the organization has certainly shown none of that to other players recently. They booted probably one of the greatest Eagles ever last year in Dawkins who,while on the downside of his career, was still pretty much the heart of the defense. Kicking Westbrook to the curb was also a buisness decision that showed no loyalty.

I will agree that the team wanted that early second rounder and Washingtons was probably the best availabe but I don't for one second believe Reid had any say in him going to Washington because he didn't want to send him to a crappy team since the Skins are not exactly one piece away from the playoffs let along a Super Bowl contender. Yeah Shanny is there now but Snyder is still the maniac behind the wheel.

I was more shocked they traded him in division since it just rarely happens anywhere not so much that they did it at all. The skins aren't going anywhere soon and the fallout unless Kolb busts is pretty low for the Eagles since most of the fanbase has wanted him gone for a while now and I think on paper they got a solid deal for Mcnabb.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby SniperShot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Here comes yet another off-season in Washington of, "REDSKINS ARE GOIN' TO THE SUPER BOWL ZOMG THEY'RE SO GOOD OMFG D00D!!!!!!!!" And if history is any indication, this will be followed by a record somewhere in the realm of 7-9.
pretty much.

Snyder will never seem to learn one big name doesn't win championships. Solid teams built from the ground up win championships not patchwork conglomerations riddled with huge contacts and big names who are on the second half of their NFL careers.

"Oh but we want to win today."

He's been saying that for the past decade justifying these huge trades and blockbuster deals when instead it keeps us mucked in mediocrity not winning today and preventing tomorrow from looking much better.

We've made the playoffs only twice in the past ten years. following this recipe.

The O-Line needs work before QB and of course we go for a big name QB... And now we only have one pick in the first 100 of the draft... Better make it count.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:21 pm

joejlitz wrote:
logan wrote:I'm just stunned they moved him in division even for what they got back.

Andy Reid was set on getting an early 2nd rounder, one way or another. When they first announced the new format whereby the first round of the draft is day 1 and the 2nd round starts day 2, Reid was quoted as saying how much he would love an early pick so as to have the night to sleep on it (and probably make more trades).

OAK was a good fit for that, but Reid, having shared the last 11 years with McNabb, didn't want to send him to a Black Hole like that (or BUF). WAS was in a similar situation and Reid made that choice. Says Paul Domowitch in today's Philly Daily News: "ANDY REID'S willingness to trade Donovan McNabb to the Redskins tells us a lot more about the kind of man he is than it does about his football judgment."

Reid showed respect by trading McNabb to Redskins

If there is any truth to Reid not trading McWho to the Raiders out of respect, then he should be fired at once. You absolutely cannot put your feelings towards a player ahead of the good of the team.
I am shocked that some other team wouldn't have given up a draft pick for what should be a pretty serious QB upgrade. The Rams could have given their #2 and still drafted a QB #1. The Panthers would be a serious playoff contender if they had a QB.
Hey, maybe wheels have fallen off of the McNabb lunchwagon and the Iggles were ahead of the curve in trading him. Just thinking the Skins will benefit more than the Iggles will from this deal.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Oops forgot this is the injury and player update forum. My thoughts from that forum.

Amazes me to. I have always thought of Mcnadds as a solid QB who could put up rediculous numbers if he ever had some decent WR's to throw to. He has finally got them....ooops they traded him. Very dumb to get rid of him IMHO. This could however be a great move given his contract was due to come up fairly soon. I think his value just dropped by about 20% but who knows. Campbell never did all that well but was a decent WW pickup if you needed a solution to a problem. Mcnadds is better than Campbell but it is going to depend on the team around him.

Kolb did put up decent numbers when Mcnadds was out but can he duplicate them is the huge question. I definately won't take him where I would have taken Mcnadds (round 5-6) this upcoming year had he not been traded. If Kolb is there in round 7-8 and I don't have a QB I'd gamble on him. I would be sure to get another QB shortly after though.

Even being on the Eagles I have always liked and respected Mcnabb. The guy is tough as nails (playing with broken foot) and can put up big numbers. Now that he is on my most hated team that changes. I will still respect him but cannot possibly like him as a Deadskin.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

moochman wrote:
If there is any truth to Reid not trading McWho to the Raiders out of respect, then he should be fired at once. You absolutely cannot put your feelings towards a player ahead of the good of the team.

Yup.

moochman wrote:I am shocked that some other team wouldn't have given up a draft pick for what should be a pretty serious QB upgrade. The Rams could have given their #2 and still drafted a QB #1. The Panthers would be a serious playoff contender if they had a QB.
Hey, maybe wheels have fallen off of the McNabb lunchwagon and the Iggles were ahead of the curve in trading him. Just thinking the Skins will benefit more than the Iggles will from this deal.

There were other factors - a big one being that this was the last year of McNabb's contract and he would not sign an extension with many teams. Apparently, while OAK wouldn't have minded, the Rams were not interesting in renting him for a year.

I'm guessing that Washington is working on swaying McNabb to sign an extension as we type. :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote: ...Kolb did put up decent numbers when Mcnadds was out but can he duplicate them is the huge question. I definately won't take him where I would have taken Mcnadds (round 5-6) this upcoming year had he not been traded. If Kolb is there in round 7-8 and I don't have a QB I'd gamble on him. I would be sure to get another QB shortly after though...

I think Kolb becomes a top-10 QB. He threw for 391 against NO and for 70% and 327 against KC last year. That and Andy Reid's backing is enough to convince me. Add in DJACK, Celek, and Maclin and I'm buying.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm

SLAPPPPPP! What a CS organization.

Campbell found out about McNabb trade from reporter
By Doug Farrar

Generally speaking, players would prefer to learn about trades that affect them from their actual team — that way, the team can do whatever damage control is necessary and assure the player in question that he's still a crucial part of their plans. The truth may be altogether different, but damage control isn't always about the truth.

What current (soon-to-be-former?) Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) now knows is that his team didn't think enough of him to let him know when they dropped the hammer on the Donovan McNabb(notes) trade. Campbell, who's been Washington's primary quarterback since 2007, found out about the trade when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated.

Me: Did you hear about what happened?

Jason: What?

Me: The Redskins traded for Donovan.

Jason: Really? Ummm ... I didn't know that, man.

Me: I'm sorry I had to be the one who told you. I can't believe they didn't tell you.

Jason: No, that's the first I heard of it. ... I'd better go call my agent.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote: ...Kolb did put up decent numbers when Mcnadds was out but can he duplicate them is the huge question. I definately won't take him where I would have taken Mcnadds (round 5-6) this upcoming year had he not been traded. If Kolb is there in round 7-8 and I don't have a QB I'd gamble on him. I would be sure to get another QB shortly after though...

I think Kolb becomes a top-10 QB. He threw for 391 against NO and for 70% and 327 against KC last year. That and Andy Reid's backing is enough to convince me. Add in DJACK, Celek, and Maclin and I'm buying.

I agree. I had Mcnadds ranked at 6-7 last year and snagged him in the 6th round. I just won't reach that much on Kolb because I haven't seen enough yet.
Cowboys 4 life

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:04 pm

That sucks, but I think the key phrase was, "when he got a phone call from John Keim of the Washington Examiner just after the deal was consummated."

It's an age of cell phones, Twitter, instant communication capabilities. With that limited information in the article, it seems that the team completed the deal and the reporter raced to call Campbell to get the first quote for his paper. Kind of sleazy on his part, I would say. :-t
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk