Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:03 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers traded troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft, sources confirmed Sunday night.

ESPN 1050 in New York first reported the story Sunday night. Holmes was contacted late Sunday and told that he was traded to the Jets, sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5077088

Wow, Mark Sanchez stock is rising. Big Ben's is even more questionable at this point.

I guess the Arnaz Battle and Randle El signings make more sense now for Pit.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets

Postby Kareighuis » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Holy Cow.

Which would you rather have- Holmes or Edwards? Sanchez or Big Ben? How do you this affects the draft for both teams? The Jets have frequently been mocked as getting a WR in the 1st.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Munboy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers traded troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft, sources confirmed Sunday night.

ESPN 1050 in New York first reported the story Sunday night. Holmes was contacted late Sunday and told that he was traded to the Jets, sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5077088

Wow, Mark Sanchez stock is rising. Big Ben's is even more questionable at this point.

I guess the Arnaz Battle and Randle El signings make more sense now for Pit.

A 5th? Seriously? The Steelers must have been desperate to dump him off with all the problems he's come with. Wallace's stock just went through the roof.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 am

A fifth?!!? I know about the off-field issues but that is a steal for a SB MVP.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 am

Maybe a 5th and Leon Washington?

There are rumors flying in the wake of the trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers to the Jets that the compensation package includes both a fifth-round draft pick and running back Leon Washington.

Though we're not yet prepared to declare with 100 percent certainty that this rumor is off the mark, it's highly unlikely that Washington would be part of the deal. In order to be traded, Washington must first sign his restricted free agency tender offer. Given the apparent speed with which this deal transpired, it's unlikely that Washington inked the deal before the Steelers and the Jets worked out their trade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... is-tender/
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

So what's a Super Bowl MVP worth these days, anyway?

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:55 am

So what's a Super Bowl MVP worth these days, anyway?
Apparently a 5th round pick. :-*

Source: Jets acquire Holmes from Steelers for draft pick

Daily News Wire Services

A person familiar with the deal says the New York Jets have acquired wide receiver Santonio Holmes from the Pittsburgh Steelers for a fifth-round draft pick this month.
The person spoke with the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams had yet to announce the trade last night.

Holmes, the 2009 Super Bowl MVP, is facing a lawsuit in Florida from a woman who claims he threw a glass at her, cutting her above the eye, in an Orlando nightclub. The police also have been investigating the woman's claims. Holmes denies hurting the woman.

According to a report yesterday by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Holmes' lawyer Adam Swickle has submitted an audio recording of a man who claims he, not Holmes, threw the drink at college student Anshonae Mills.

Swickle said the man admitted he did so after Mills grabbed Holmes at the club on March 7.

Swickle did not identify the man, but said he is short and heavy and does not look like Holmes.

Phila. Daily News

That's ridiculous. He's a #1 receiver on some teams and a #2 on most. PIT wanted to dump him and so they did. He's young, but apparently not that valuable. I'm not saying he is worth a 3rd rounder, but I just can't believe they only got a 5th rounder out of it.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 am

Yeah booiiiiiiiii.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:49 am

bigh0rt wrote:Yeah booiiiiiiiii.

Enjoy the highs of some pretty nice catches and the lows of some pretty mindboggling drops. :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 am

I was wondering how the usually character-conscious Steelers would handle these issues. Now it's becoming clear that they absolutely don't want to deal with problem players and will get rid of them if it's convenient for them, even if it means trading a player at the valley of his trade value. I believe Holmes would, in ideal circumstances, garner a second round pick at least.

Holmes is a top-flight wide receiver. He may not have the height of Andre or Calvin Johnson, but he has all the other necessary skills to be a team's No. 1 receiver. The Jets are taking a risk on his character, but that risk involves only giving up a fifth round pick and giving him a year in the organization before deciding whether to sign him to a long-term deal, which, if all goes well, they will. If Holmes can stay away from the marijuana (and possibly stop posting his intentions to smoke it on Twitter) and stop getting into trouble in other areas, the Jets will be the primary benefactors of this deal. But Holmes has a history of run-ins with the law, so we'll see how that goes.

Ugh... I'm torn. I always like to defer my judgment to that of the front office because they usually know what they're doing. But it's tough to react well to a player who made the game-winning catch in the Super Bowl 14 months ago being traded for a fifth round pick. Maybe the Steelers had done all that they thought they could do to change Holmes and hadn't seen any results. It's impossible to know without being in the heads of those that made this decision.

But I think the Steelers, at least in the short term, won't suffer greatly from this deal, as long as Roethlisberger can cope with losing his favorite receiver. I think the success of Mike Wallace last year is the only thing that made this trade possible, because, as James Harrison proved a few years ago and Roethlisberger will eventually prove, the Steelers won't part with a player who brings the team bad publicity unless they think he's easily replaceable. If Wallace continues to progress as he should, he may well become the player Holmes would've become if he had stuck around. For now, Wallace, Ward, Heath Miller, and Antwaan Randle El as the No. 3 receiver will do, especially for a quarterback who likes to spread the ball around like Roethlisberger.

This does mean that wide receiver become a long term need. Hines Ward isn't immaculate, and within the next couple of years, his play will drop off, and the Steelers will need someone to replace him. That player used to be Mike Wallace, but now it will probably have to be another draft pick, because unless Limas Sweed turns his career around, they don't have a viable long term option on the roster besides Wallace.

Munboy wrote:Enjoy the highs of some pretty nice catches and the lows of some pretty mindboggling drops. :-b

I'm sorry, but Holmes rarely drops the ball, at least on the field. Not sure where you're coming from with this. :-?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 am

I don't know how closely you were watching the games Steelerfan...Holmes had a bad case of drops for a lot of last season and was actually 3rd in the NFL in that stat last season with 10. He was actually pretty unreliable last season for the most part and I got to the point where I felt far more comfortable if Roethlisberger was throwing the ball Mike Wallace's direction than Holmes' direction.

I do think that we probably could have gotten a bit more for Holmes in this case but I'm not terribly concerned about the long-term consequences. All evidence pointed towards us not re-signing him after this season anyway, he seemed to be unable to take that final step towards truly becoming an elite NFL WR and I do think that Wallace can and will become a better receiver than Holmes was for us without all the attitude problems.

Our front office generally makes sound decisions and lets people go when they should...I think we'll pick up a WR in the draft this year at some point and I'm perfectly fine with our WR trio of Ward/Wallace/Randle-El for this season. We'll see where we go from here but I don't think we'll see huge negative impact on our passing game even with this deal especially with the way Big Ben tends to find his targets...he was never one to focus on just one guy anyway.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk