Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Offical: Santonio Holmes to New York Jets

Postby JPeso » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am

The Braylon "Stone Hands" Edwards experiment has officially ended. This is the last year on both Holmes and Edwards contracts, but I think we know by now whom the better player is on the field. Sure, Holmes has a bit more off-field concern, but at least he can catch the ball. I don't see a way Cotchery loses his starting position THIS year, making one of the two expendable. I'll put my money on Holmes to outplay Braylon and us seeing Braylon hit the market and likely end up in a far better passing situation than with Sanchez.

Braylon presents a decent buy-low in dynasty leagues if you can buy at WR35 price or lower. Stash him for one year, and next off-season hope he lands in a big-time passing game as the 2nd option. The talent is there, but unfortunately the hands are not.
JPeso
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 am

JPeso wrote:The Braylon "Stone Hands" Edwards experiment has officially ended. This is the last year on both Holmes and Edwards contracts, but I think we know by now whom the better player is on the field. Sure, Holmes has a bit more off-field concern, but at least he can catch the ball. I don't see a way Cotchery loses his starting position THIS year, making one of the two expendable. I'll put my money on Holmes to outplay Braylon and us seeing Braylon hit the market and likely end up in a far better passing situation than with Sanchez.

Braylon presents a decent buy-low in dynasty leagues if you can buy at WR35 price or lower. Stash him for one year, and next off-season hope he lands in a big-time passing game as the 2nd option. The talent is there, but unfortunately the hands are not.

Who had more dropped passes last season? Which of the two players has been in the top 10 in drops in the AFC in each of the past 2 seasons? Holmes doesn't exactly have stellar hands guys...people have that perception because he made one great catch in the super bowl but people forget that he has dropped a whole lot of passes the past couple of seasons and wouldn't have had to make that amazing catch had he actually caught the much easier pass the play right before.

I know one thing...I won't be touching Holmes this year in fantasy leagues...I don't see him being a decent fantasy producer this season at all.

Also...completely off topic but after looking through the drop numbers, I'm surprised people don't talk about Dwayne Bowe's drops more than they do...the guy has been in the top 2 in dropped passes in the AFC the past 2 seasons and has 24 dropped passes the past 2 years.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JPeso » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 am

mattb47 wrote:
JPeso wrote:The Braylon "Stone Hands" Edwards experiment has officially ended. This is the last year on both Holmes and Edwards contracts, but I think we know by now whom the better player is on the field. Sure, Holmes has a bit more off-field concern, but at least he can catch the ball. I don't see a way Cotchery loses his starting position THIS year, making one of the two expendable. I'll put my money on Holmes to outplay Braylon and us seeing Braylon hit the market and likely end up in a far better passing situation than with Sanchez.

Who had more dropped passes last season? Which of the two players has been in the top 10 in drops in the AFC in each of the past 2 seasons? Holmes doesn't exactly have stellar hands guys...people have that perception because he made one great catch in the super bowl but people forget that he has dropped a whole lot of passes the past couple of seasons and wouldn't have had to make that amazing catch had he actually caught the much easier pass the play right before.

I know one thing...I won't be touching Holmes this year in fantasy leagues...I don't see him being a decent fantasy producer this season at all.

Also...completely off topic but after looking through the drop numbers, I'm surprised people don't talk about Dwayne Bowe's drops more than they do...the guy has been in the top 2 in dropped passes in the AFC the past 2 seasons and has 24 dropped passes the past 2 years.

There is a significant difference in drops in traffic than there is drops on long bombs with no one in sight.
JPeso
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mattb47 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am

JPeso wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

There is a significant difference in drops in traffic than there is drops on long bombs with no one in sight.

Did you watch Holmes play every week? These weren't some difficult catches in traffic that he dropped...they were some absolutely AWFUL drops that never should happen. Even that one in the SB that he dropped in the endzone, it was a bit high but he wasn't in traffic or getting hit and it was a heck of a lot easier pass than the one he caught after that. Both of these guys are like that...drop easy balls and make incredible catches. If you "drop" it in traffic and such chances are they may not even call that a "drop" because the whole idea of a drop is that you didn't catch a ball that you should have.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:44 pm

I have little problems with the drops of Bowe, he still gets enough targets to be very productive. Holmes hands may improve if he stops "wakin' and bakin'." Bray Bray seems to drop more passes in crucial situations than any WR I can recall. With that pair of WRs Jets fans should see more juggling than at a clown convention.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:46 pm

moochman wrote:I have little problems with the drops of Bowe, he still gets enough targets to be very productive. Holmes hands may improve if he stops "wakin' and bakin'."

I'm still somewhat shocked that players can smoke that much weed and still be a professional athlete.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Hmm. Interesting idea with the buy-low. I too figure Holmes will beat out Edwards if the Jets decide to play 2 (Cotch and Holmes or Edwards) only.

mattb47 wrote:I'm surprised people don't talk about Dwayne Bowe's drops more than they do...the guy has been in the top 2 in dropped passes in the AFC the past 2 seasons and has 24 dropped passes the past 2 years.

I don't mention Bowe's hands because I own him in a keeper league and don't need another issue to drive down his value. If Clausen is drafted, this might be the year to unload him.

moochman wrote:With that pair of WRs Jets fans should see more juggling than at a clown convention.

:-b
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:I have little problems with the drops of Bowe, he still gets enough targets to be very productive. Holmes hands may improve if he stops "wakin' and bakin'."

I'm still somewhat shocked that players can smoke that much weed and still be a professional athlete.

I have seen people in all walks of life perform at remarkably high levels while living an altered lifestyle. The crash and burns just aren't broadcasted like those in the media are.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:07 am

He'll be back soon. How much contact with the team has he had during his ban? Is he banned from the practice facilities and meetings? Has he studied the playbook? Can he see film? Obviously this all affects how soon he can perform well.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:He'll be back soon. How much contact with the team has he had during his ban? Is he banned from the practice facilities and meetings? Has he studied the playbook? Can he see film? Obviously this all affects how soon he can perform well.

During preseason Holmes was Sanchez's favorite target and as Rex said it, "he is the best player on the field" when the offense is at work.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Previous

Return to Football Talk