Unique/Odd Fantasy Football Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Unique/Odd Fantasy Football Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Unique/Odd Fantasy Football Rules

Postby cheezheadsrule » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm looking for some ideas on Fantasy Football Rules. It will be an Auction draft I know that.

But I was kinda thinking of doing something like European Soccer, have 24 teams qualify with their fantasy records from previous years into a Premier League. (With a higher payout for the winner) and a low league (smaller payout but same entry fee). And then every year owners move up or down leagues. So the best are always playing the best and worst are playing the worst.

Just trying to think of something different, doing the same thing year after year gets old.
cheezheadsrule
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Unique/Odd Fantasy Football Rules

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Interesting. I don't know about the specifics (like 24 teams), but the general idea seems cool.

I've been considering something equally different- the fantasy football regular season is the NFL's regular season. The fantasy football playoff is the NFL's playoffs. So, Jerome Harrison and Jamal Charles last year would have value to players trying to squek into the playoffs- and then have no value once your in. Deadline trades would be loaded with "do I trade the superior talent for the guy who will be in the playoffs" type questions. Similarly, guys resting for the playoffs wouldn't help the fantasy team trying to make the playoffs- Harrison for Wayne?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Interesting. I don't know about the specifics (like 24 teams), but the general idea seems cool.

I've been considering something equally different- the fantasy football regular season is the NFL's regular season. The fantasy football playoff is the NFL's playoffs. So, Jerome Harrison and Jamal Charles last year would have value to players trying to squek into the playoffs- and then have no value once your in. Deadline trades would be loaded with "do I trade the superior talent for the guy who will be in the playoffs" type questions. Similarly, guys resting for the playoffs wouldn't help the fantasy team trying to make the playoffs- Harrison for Wayne?

New fantasy seasons that start in the playoffs are a lot like that. Do I draft Fitzgerald, knowing he will probably be eliminated in the first round or should I go for Reggie Bush who might get me a Super Bowl TD?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:06 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Interesting. I don't know about the specifics (like 24 teams), but the general idea seems cool.

New fantasy seasons that start in the playoffs are a lot like that. Do I draft Fitzgerald, knowing he will probably be eliminated in the first round or should I go for Reggie Bush who might get me a Super Bowl TD?

Yep. My problem has been that a 17 game regular season gets cut into a 13 game one and forces playoff games into the end of the regular season, when many of the best teams (and often best players) are playing little or not at all. Always seemed ridiculous.

I've been a football fan for years, but only recently got into fantasy football because of this issue. By rejoining the NFL's regular and playoff season together, I'm thinking that problem is resolved.

There was even a time I was considering how to incorporate the preseason games into fantasy football. Had a few ideas, but they don't seem like they'll be as useful if it does get cut down to merely 2 games.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk