I need everybody's help! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I need everybody's help!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I need everybody's help!

Postby Munboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I just wanted to thank everybody for doing the surveys! I gave my presentation today. It went well I think....I did have a tiny oops though. I thought the research paper was due next week...no, it was due today.

Fastest. Paper. Written. Ever.

What was I trying to do? Most people use a southern accent to denote stupidity, especially in TV and movies. I wondered if people really thought other people who spoke with a southern accent are less intelligent or not. I also wanted to compare that thought with a foreign accent as well. Judging by the answers, that's not the case. More people indicated that the foreign and southern accents influenced their answers than the standard American accents, but there wasn't a huge glaring bit of data that said people think southerners are stupid. The only bit of data that indicated this was the fact that less people used the "Strongly" answers when answering about accent influence with the foreign and southern accents. That, to me, indicated a blurry line.

One last bit of interesting data is more females indicated that accent influenced them than males.

Anyways, thanks everybody! ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I need everybody's help!

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:23 pm

One of the best presentations I've sat through for work was when Dr. John Baugh discussed profiling based on accent. You should look up his work if you're interested.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk