Marshall traded to Dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marshall traded to Dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Marshall traded to Dolphins

Postby biju » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Given what the Dolphins gave up for him (2 2nd rounders) and the money they gave (and yes, I'm aware it's an uncapped year) I'm actually a little relieved the Seahawks didn't go for him. He seems like a better finishing piece than a rebuilding piece and you don't rebuild a team without those 2nd round picks. Especially when this draft is particularly deep and even that #60 is looking like we'll get good talent...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:Overall the only legit character flaws Brandon has is that Denver ripped apart the team that he was drafted to and was set in place to play with, from the Coach to the QB.

Yea, I mean, let's just ignore those numerous times he reportedly put his hands on his gf, that's not a character flaw at all. I mean, he's barely been in trouble by the law at all right? Nope, but let's just bring up the time he punted a ball in practice or how McDaniels was a jerk to him and ignore the countless times police have responded to domestic abuse.

Lol if your going to defend the guy you might want to know some history about him. Saying his only legit character flaw is that Denver ripped apart a team he was drafted to play on his being an enormous homer before the dude even puts on a Dolphins jersey.

I also don't have a problem with the contract. Somebody was going to pay him, look at the type of seasons he's put up the past 3 years. He's put up over 100 catches 3 seasons in a row, and proved he didn't need Cutler to be a good QB, he deserves that money. There wasn't going to be anyway around giving him a huge contract so there is no need to act surprised about it. For all we know there are alot of clauses put in to where that guaranteed money or back end money on the contract can be returned if he gets into trouble.

All we know at this time is the total money, years, and guaranteed portions. But there are alot of situations where athletes get into trouble and have to pay that money back, take Michael Vick for example. He had to pay back a large amount of money without any clauses put into place for him, but you can rest assured they are they for Marshall, he won't rake all this money in if he continually is a trouble maker.

He's not the worst the NFL has seen by far, but I hate when homers come out talking like he's just misunderstood and a perfect angel. Dude has a boatload of issues the team has had to put up with, and like it or not, the fact that a QB was traded is no reason to act like an asshole. Neither would I consider trading Cutler "ripping the team apart", it's your job to play football and be paid accordingly, you don't get to act like a little girl and throw hissy fits on the practice field everytime a player gets traded, what kind of excuse is that?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 am

LS2throwed wrote:He's not the worst the NFL has seen by far, but I hate when homers come out talking like he's just misunderstood and a perfect angel.

He forgot to blame society, too for coddling him since he was a superstar high school player. ;-)

Apparently, though BM thinks he's gonna reform. Why shouldn't we believe him???? ;-) }:-)

* Brandon Marshall, traded by Denver to Miami on Wednesday, said he has learned from his past mistakes and will be "more patient" He also said the Dolphins need not worry that he'll get into further trouble.

In Denver, Marshall caught at least 100 passes each of the past 3 years and made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons. But, clashed with coach Josh McDaniels and has a history of domestic violence, and a long legal record leaves him one strike from a yearlong suspension.

Someone book mark this thread, please. :-D

Source (about halfway down): Phila. Daily News
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mattUTD20 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:11 am

I saw the press conference with him yesterday and he tried to tell everyone he wasn't a diva. He couldn't do it with a straight face and everyone in the room was laughing. It's a joke really, making this guy the highest paid WR. I don't think the Miami nightlife is going to be good for him either and the coaching staff there isn't strong enough to keep him in line. Parcells needs a Singletary type down there to beat him across the butt with a belt like a child when he steps out of line.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:30 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:I saw the press conference with him yesterday and he tried to tell everyone he wasn't a diva. He couldn't do it with a straight face and everyone in the room was laughing. It's a joke really, making this guy the highest paid WR. I don't think the Miami nightlife is going to be good for him either and the coaching staff there isn't strong enough to keep him in line. Parcells needs a Singletary type down there to beat him across the butt with a belt like a child when he steps out of line.

This is a lame excuse that not just everyday people, but also the mainstream media companies are trying to sell. It would have happened either way because Marshall lives in Miami, so getting traded to Miami just put him closer to home, it didn't put him in the Miami nightlife because hes already there either way.

LS2throwed wrote:Lol if your going to defend the guy you might want to know some history about him. Saying his only legit character flaw is that Denver ripped apart a team he was drafted to play on his being an enormous homer before the dude even puts on a Dolphins jersey.

He's not the worst the NFL has seen by far, but I hate when homers come out talking like he's just misunderstood and a perfect angel. Dude has a boatload of issues the team has had to put up with, and like it or not, the fact that a QB was traded is no reason to act like an asshole. Neither would I consider trading Cutler "ripping the team apart", it's your job to play football and be paid accordingly, you don't get to act like a little girl and throw hissy fits on the practice field everytime a player gets traded, what kind of excuse is that?

A. I'm not a homer, infact there is plenty that Miami does that I don't agree with. But on the flip side I'm so sick of hearing about Ben and Tiger and Brandon and all these guy's and their personal life. Yes I realize they are big stars and all, but you don't question 'Bob's work around the office since his wife aught him cheating on her' do you? No, so whats the difference? Because Brandon makes Millions and Bob is lucky to make $40,000 a year? As far as I'm concnered thats none of my business as its not me paying their salaries. Do I agree with off the field issues? Most of the time no, but its not in my greater interest to even know about them.

B. You and your homer comments can go take a hike. I would love for you to go back to what I've said and pick out where I call him a perfect angel? No what I said is everyone does wrong stars in general are just in the spotlight so its talked about all the time. Dude has a boat load of issues, but who the hell doesn't? I'm sure you do in your own personal life, but you also don't have the same skill to be able to back that up such as the sports stars in the spotlight, right?

C. What kind of excuse is it for you to call out every bad thing this guy has ever done, and yet not once comment on what he has accomplished through all the BS and the talent he has. But I'm sure you'll have something wrong with that also.

Case and point yes he has done wrong, what star hasn't? Give the guy a chance to show if he can change or not at least before you cut every ounce of quality out of him.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Josh McDaniels is the naked emperor. He has gotten rid of everyone he doesn't like, keeping only people who obey him like dogs. The result is Jabar Gaffney being their best weapon on offense.

He has no more excuses, no one left to blame. He only has a squad full of 2nd-stringers.

Their offense is pretty sad:

QB Kyle Orton
WR1 Jabar Gaffney
WR2 Eddie Royal
WR3 Brandon Stokley (Could be soon traded or released, as he's the only vestige from the Shanahan era)
TE Daniel Graham
RB Correll Buckhalter
RB Knowshon "3.8 YPC" Moreno

Seriously, these guys would be back-ups on the better NFL teams.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:Josh McDaniels is the naked emperor. He has gotten rid of everyone he doesn't like, keeping only people who obey him like dogs. The result is Jabar Gaffney being their best weapon on offense.

He has no more excuses, no one left to blame. He only has a squad full of 2nd-stringers.

QB Kyle Orton
WR1 Jabar Gaffney
WR2 Eddie Royal
WR3 Brandon Stokley (Could be soon traded or released, as he's the only vestige from the Shanahan era)
TE Daniel Graham
RB Correll Buckhalter

So true.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:Josh McDaniels is the naked emperor. He has gotten rid of everyone he doesn't like, keeping only people who obey him like dogs. The result is Jabar Gaffney being their best weapon on offense.

QB Kyle Orton
WR1 Jabar Gaffney
WR2 Eddie Royal
TE Daniel Graham
RB Correll Buckhalter

Wait, what about that blocking TE they took last year? Overall, yeah, pretty sad. But, in case Orton fails with that garbage, they have Quinn!
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:00 pm

I can hardly wait to see if Tuna sounds off when (or if) Marshall gets to clowning.

The Broncos had better string some good drafts together. Failure to do so could drop them to the bottom of the West. I have no faith in Josh McDaniels, but have not seen enough to condemn him totally. He would not be the first guy to blow a team up before turning them into a solid franchise. Just don't recall anyone doing it with so little experience.

A well-behaved Marshall should help the Phins{ become a playoff threat should they solidify the D. Henne, Brown, Rasta and a couple of the WRs could find more open room with Marshall on the field.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:30 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
mattUTD20 wrote:I saw the press conference with him yesterday and he tried to tell everyone he wasn't a diva. He couldn't do it with a straight face and everyone in the room was laughing. It's a joke really, making this guy the highest paid WR. I don't think the Miami nightlife is going to be good for him either and the coaching staff there isn't strong enough to keep him in line. Parcells needs a Singletary type down there to beat him across the butt with a belt like a child when he steps out of line.

This is a lame excuse that not just everyday people, but also the mainstream media companies are trying to sell. It would have happened either way because Marshall lives in Miami, so getting traded to Miami just put him closer to home, it didn't put him in the Miami nightlife because hes already there either way.

LS2throwed wrote:Lol if your going to defend the guy you might want to know some history about him. Saying his only legit character flaw is that Denver ripped apart a team he was drafted to play on his being an enormous homer before the dude even puts on a Dolphins jersey.

A. I'm not a homer, infact there is plenty that Miami does that I don't agree with. But on the flip side I'm so sick of hearing about Ben and Tiger and Brandon and all these guy's and their personal life. Yes I realize they are big stars and all, but you don't question 'Bob's work around the office since his wife aught him cheating on her' do you? No, so whats the difference? Because Brandon makes Millions and Bob is lucky to make $40,000 a year? As far as I'm concnered thats none of my business as its not me paying their salaries. Do I agree with off the field issues? Most of the time no, but its not in my greater interest to even know about them.

B. You and your homer comments can go take a hike. I would love for you to go back to what I've said and pick out where I call him a perfect angel? No what I said is everyone does wrong stars in general are just in the spotlight so its talked about all the time. Dude has a boat load of issues, but who the hell doesn't? I'm sure you do in your own personal life, but you also don't have the same skill to be able to back that up such as the sports stars in the spotlight, right?

C. What kind of excuse is it for you to call out every bad thing this guy has ever done, and yet not once comment on what he has accomplished through all the BS and the talent he has. But I'm sure you'll have something wrong with that also.

Case and point yes he has done wrong, what star hasn't? Give the guy a chance to show if he can change or not at least before you cut every ounce of quality out of him.

It's fine to give him a chance. What we were all saying is giving up 2 second rounders and that much money may not be the greatest idea to "take a chance on." And there are many stars who don't have these character issues.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk