Marshall traded to Dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marshall traded to Dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Marshall traded to Dolphins

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

The one thing I can say about paying 2 2nd rounders and $$ to Marshall is, ok? You don't think that 2 2nd rounders (not even in the same draft to boot) isn't good value for Brandon? What other legit options did Miami have this offseason for a WR, Boldin, TO, Burleson? Boldin would wasn't going to happen from day one, TO would have been 10x the joke that Marshall was, Burleson isn't a legit #1 in my eyes and when you think about it that 2nd rounder they just gave up would have potentially been a WR anyways, so why not trade it for a WR that has shown a set of skills on field to be a top WR option? I just think its better to go about it that way then to blow a draft pick on a WR like Ginn Jr again and have it blow up again, as is Tuna thus why he hasn't spent a high round pick on a WR since '96 in Terry Glen.

Ok yes I've come to realization that Marshall does have character issues, but I'm not going to eat all my words, I still think that the move to Miami is going to be goo for him and the Phins and that he is worth everything that they traded for to get him. Now the $$$, maybe not, but I already commented on that not being the best idea. Quite frankly I maybe called a 'homer' by a few, but I'm just trying to see the positive in this because there wasn't much positive that came out of last year.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 am

On the money they are paying Marshall, I would find it inconceivable that they would have that contracted chock full of escape clauses should Marshall go all Marshall again. So two late second round picks is a very nice risk/reward scenario.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JPeso » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am

moochman wrote:On the money they are paying Marshall, I would find it inconceivable that they would have that contracted chock full of escape clauses should Marshall go all Marshall again. So two late second round picks is a very nice risk/reward scenario.

You ain't lying, Mooch. Both teams got good deals if you factor in that Marshall certainly wasn't returning to Denver after this season. McDaniels knows that stockpiling draft picks doesn't equal short-term wins, so why not get a few more darts in the draft?

My biggest question is how long McDaniels will truly be given to turn things around. We know this league is based heavily on short-term results, but with all of these picks, it will take 2 or 3 years before any dividends are paid and we see how these guys pan out. Hindsight is 20-20, but I already believe the Moreno pick was a poor one. It's too bad they didn't grab a lineman last year and nab Sir Clifford Spiller in this year's draft - a much better player in my eyes.
JPeso
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Humpback » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 pm

His contract really isn't bad for Miami:

Brandon Marshall's new contract with the Dolphins realistically contains just $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

Marshall receives a $5.5M signing bonus and a guaranteed base salary of $4M in 2010. If the Dolphins decide by next April to cut ties, though, they owe nothing more provided another team pays Marshall at least $3M in 2011. If the Dolphins do pay his $3M bonus next April 2, Marshall's base salaries of $6.5M in 2011 and $6M in 2012 are not guaranteed if he receives an NFL suspension. Rather than commit at a Larry Fitzgerald level, the Dolphins smartly protected themselves.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby benb18a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

So is Marshall going to be pretty much the best WR in team history? :-b

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 am

JPeso wrote:My biggest question is how long McDaniels will truly be given to turn things around. We know this league is based heavily on short-term results, but with all of these picks, it will take 2 or 3 years before any dividends are paid and we see how these guys pan out. Hindsight is 20-20, but I already believe the Moreno pick was a poor one. It's too bad they didn't grab a lineman last year and nab Sir Clifford Spiller in this year's draft - a much better player in my eyes.

Considering that Pat Bowlen went out on a limb by firing Mike Shanahan, one of the longest tenured head coaches in the league, to hire McDaniels, I think McDaniels will be given the length of his initial contract (so three more years) to prove something barring a catastrophic occurrence.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm

JPeso wrote:Hindsight is 20-20, but I already believe the Moreno pick was a poor one. It's too bad they didn't grab a lineman last year and nab Sir Clifford Spiller in this year's draft - a much better player in my eyes.

Yeah, hindsight is golden, but if given a chance to re-do, that'd be a hell of a backfield. Not trading away their 1st for Alphonso Smith woulda been great too- coulda nabbed a better corner with it.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Football Talk