Browns considering trading for No. 1 pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns considering trading for No. 1 pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns considering trading for No. 1 pick

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 am

The Cleveland Browns have kicked around the possibility of drafting a quarterback in next week's NFL draft.
Maybe the best one.

General manager Tom Heckert said yesterday that the team has talked to the St. Louis Rams about a trade that would get Cleveland the No. 1 overall pick, a selection the Browns would use to take Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Browns currently own the No. 7 pick and have five of the first 92 selections, so it's realistic they could put together an attractive package to entice the Rams into making a deal.

"We've actually played a little phone tag," Heckert said. "We've talked to them throughout the process and have been at workouts with the Rams people and kind of mentioned stuff to them. Just talks. We've talked to all the teams ahead of us and all the teams immediately behind us"

The Browns aren't desperate for a quarterback after signing free agent Jake Delhomme in March and acquiring backup Seneca Wallace from Seattle. The team traded Brady Quinn and released Derek Anderson before adding Delhomme and signing the 35-year-old to a 2-year contract.

Still, Bradford is the cream of a QB crop that includes Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen and Tim Tebow.

Source: Phila. Daily News
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Browns considering trading for No. 1 pick

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 am

Do not like.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 am

I'm going to file this in the realm of the VERY unlikely...I doubt Cleveland will pay a price high enough to get the pick and it seems as though St. Louis is pretty taken with Bradford as their guy at #1 and their future franchise QB. I really doubt we'll see a deal here unless Cleveland excessively overpays.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby iamgregg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:52 am

mattb47 wrote:I'm going to file this in the realm of the VERY unlikely...I doubt Cleveland will pay a price high enough to get the pick and it seems as though St. Louis is pretty taken with Bradford as their guy at #1 and their future franchise QB. I really doubt we'll see a deal here unless Cleveland excessively overpays.

Agreed, Cleveland just doesn't have the ammo for this, and they need all they can get. This strikes me as a move by a team looking for a missing piece (or at least to a certain extent a la Jets). It'd be almsot one step forward, two back.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 pm

5 picks in the first 92 including the 7th overall? I'd say they have plenty of ammo if they really want that #1 pick. :-o
Metroid

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Maybe we'll see the Jets make ANOTHER move to Cleveland for that 7th overall ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I think/hope the Browns will stand pat.
Metroid

Postby mattb47 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Metroid wrote:I think/hope the Browns will stand pat.

I agree...at 7 they will still get a great player who will cost A LOT less than what they would have to pay Bradford at #1...especially since he's already looking like a probable hold out for a big contract since he has said he won't sign before the draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Can't see them doing it. Yeah, Cleveland has enough picks. I think the Sanchez/Jets comparison is good on at least one level- the Jets had almost everything set up- o-line, RB, defense. Cleveland doesn't and needs the picks it'd take to move up.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Munboy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Can't see them doing it. Yeah, Cleveland has enough picks. I think the Sanchez/Jets comparison is good on at least one level- the Jets had almost everything set up- o-line, RB, defense. Cleveland doesn't and needs the picks it'd take to move up.

The Browns need every one of their picks to fill in the roster. Yes, they need a QB, but their needs are great and many. Maybe changing teams will help Delholmme realize what team he plays for and throw it to the right receiver, but he is a serviceable stop-gap while they build their team with those 5 high picks. I say they stay put, grab one of those stud OLs and maybe target McCoy in the 2nd.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk