Mattb47's 1st Round NFL Mock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mattb47's 1st Round NFL Mock

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Mattb47's 1st Round NFL Mock

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:38 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:Like you said about the Jets, maybe they will grab Mays instead of Odrick. IMO, it all depends on if we get Jason Taylor or Darren Sharper. Can't go wrong either way though ;-D

They also got Brodney Pool...but it's anyone's guess if that guy will be able to stay healthy or not.

Jason Taylor also finally picked the Jets over the Phins, so this may change the Odrick pick? Its believe to be a 2-year deal.

Why would it change the Odrick pick? Odrick is a 3-4 defensive lineman and Taylor will be a 3-4 OLB so it shouldn't change it. I think the likelihood is even higher now that Shaun Ellis is apparently on the trading block which was already their only legitimate DE.

portisfan24 wrote:I know you weren't predicting trades but I doubt Clausen falls to 30. I'm thinking more of a Brady Quinn type situation where if he gets into the low 20's, someone is going to trade up for him. Everything seems pretty plausible though. I've heard Joe Haden has probably dropped out of the top 10, although I'm not entirely sure why.

I think it's not crazy to think that he would have someone trade up for him or even have SF take him with one of their picks as I hear they are high on him but if the players are available as I have them in my mock and there are no trades, I don't see any team taking him before that point. His Pro Day workout was apparently rather underwhelming as even though he didn't have many passes hit the ground, his accuracy was mediocre and players often had to slow down or reach behind them to make catches. I don't think Clausen deserves to go in the top half of the first round and many scouts are beginning to think along the same lines. Cleveland and Buffalo have both already said they wouldn't be interested in him which were two of the most popular early landing places for him.

I don't think Haden will drop too far...he's easily the best CB in this draft and those guys never last too late. The most likely scenario for him dropping is if Berry falls to the Browns at 7 but even then I don't think he'll last too much longer.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:51 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Munboy wrote:
petedog9 wrote:Nice work Matt ... ;-D

I'd be happy with Kyle Wilson to Pitt.. Pouncey would be my second choice..

Wilson works for me, but I'd like to see them pick up Iupati if they went Oline. The dude's a beast inside. He mauled people at the senior bowl. ;-D

I think that Pouncey is someone they're looking at because our interior line does need a boost and Pouncey can play Center or Guard which is a nice combo to have some flexibility there. I wouldn't be terribly upset with Wilson, Pouncey or Iupati to be completely honest and I've even seen some mocks have Haden fall all the way to us but I highly doubt that will happen.

Iupati has the size, strength, and feet to kick outside to tackle. I guess it's a trade off. A player who can play guard who can slide into center or a guard who can kick out to tackle. Either way, I don't think the Steelers can lose with either pick.

I'd prefer one of these guys if they're available over Wilson though. I don't know what it is, but I'm not very high with Wilson. If they take him, I'll be fine with it, but I won't feel like we missed out if they don't. He has impressive speed...sub 4.40 if I remember right and he will push Logan for returns. He can close on the ball while it's in the air. Its after the receiver catches it that bothers me. For a guy that strong, 25 benches at 225 lbs, he lacks explosion in tackles. Some bigger WRs, like Brandon Marshall, will blow right through his arm tackles.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Munboy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Munboy wrote:
Wilson works for me, but I'd like to see them pick up Iupati if they went Oline. The dude's a beast inside. He mauled people at the senior bowl. ;-D

I think that Pouncey is someone they're looking at because our interior line does need a boost and Pouncey can play Center or Guard which is a nice combo to have some flexibility there. I wouldn't be terribly upset with Wilson, Pouncey or Iupati to be completely honest and I've even seen some mocks have Haden fall all the way to us but I highly doubt that will happen.

Iupati has the size, strength, and feet to kick outside to tackle. I guess it's a trade off. A player who can play guard who can slide into center or a guard who can kick out to tackle. Either way, I don't think the Steelers can lose with either pick.

I'd prefer one of these guys if they're available over Wilson though. I don't know what it is, but I'm not very high with Wilson. If they take him, I'll be fine with it, but I won't feel like we missed out if they don't. He has impressive speed...sub 4.40 if I remember right and he will push Logan for returns. He can close on the ball while it's in the air. Its after the receiver catches it that bothers me. For a guy that strong, 25 benches at 225 lbs, he lacks explosion in tackles. Some bigger WRs, like Brandon Marshall, will blow right through his arm tackles.

The thing is though, Wilson really wouldn't be asked to defend bigger WRs because we already have one of the bigger CBs in the league on our team in Ike Taylor who handles that role. Wilson has the strength to become a very good tackler and I think that's something that won't be difficult to improve in his game. The thing we need is people able to cover guys and Wilson has the speed and instincts to play both man and zone coverages which we do a lot of both. I'd rather have a guy who has the measurables in place and the instincts in coverage (which is what we lack most) and have to work on his tackling fundamentals than just lacking the athletic ability and going on simply having the only set of CBs incapable of intercepting passes.

We can get by with our current offensive line setup...our secondary desperately needs an infusion of talent and Wilson can become a very good CB for us I think if we would take him at that spot.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

In other words, one of these three players will be around and it's a can't miss for the steelers. ;-D

I just think they need one of those stud interior linemen to open holes for Mendy.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Munboy wrote:In other words, one of these three players will be around and it's a can't miss for the steelers. ;-D

I just think they need one of those stud interior linemen to open holes for Mendy.

Yea...if we get any of the 3 I'll be happy...but I'll honestly be happiest with a CB there because we desperately need some secondary help after last season's fiasco. A physical blocker like Iupati would be awesome and it would be great if we could get Wilson and one of the other two guys but oh well.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:34 pm

All I got to say is...
Helluva fine effort Matt! Lots of work, thought and effort went into this. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:All I got to say is...
Helluva fine effort Matt! Lots of work, thought and effort went into this. ;-D

I echo that, and add a thank you Matt. ;-D ;-D ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks guys...but as always, everything is probably going to change with some of the trades happening and especially if Big Ben gets dealt. It makes it less likely that Oakland will take Pierre-Paul right now with them dealing for a DE from Jacksonville (even though they dealt for a pretty poor one) so who knows what they're doing there.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:11 pm

My hope?

Well, my hope is Suh falling to #6, but since that ain't happening -

Seattle at #6: Best OT available.
Seattle at 14: CJ Spiller.
Seattle in the later rounds: BLOUNT FORCE TRAUMA, BABY!!! :-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 pm

mattb47 wrote:Why would it change the Odrick pick? Odrick is a 3-4 defensive lineman and Taylor will be a 3-4 OLB so it shouldn't change it. I think the likelihood is even higher now that Shaun Ellis is apparently on the trading block which was already their only legitimate DE.

Because the Jets are going to put Gholston at DE now and see what he can do. He can't be any worse than he is at OLB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5120564
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk