What would you do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What would you do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What would you do?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

If you found a bag with say 5 million dollars of what appear to be unmarked bills with noone around and having no idea where it came from what would you do?

I personally think I would have a very hard time turning that much money in. I would probably snag it and hide it in a safe at home. Next I would wait and see if I heard any news about the money and its origin. If it came out in the news that it was a bank robbery or something over murder etc I would turn it in hoping for a reward. If I never heard anything about the money I would keep it and step very cautiously. Not knowing with 100% certainty if the bills are marked I would definately not deposit it in a bank. But you would have to launder it somehow not close to home to be sure you spending it doesn't trace back to you. Thats the hard part. I'll think about the rest if I ever run into that situation.

Sinister I know. }:-)
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: What would you do?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Are you asking because you found a bag with 5 million dollars of unmarked bills?

If that was me, I'd do a good deed and donate 2/3's of it to The Human Fund.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Are you asking because you found a bag with 5 million dollars of unmarked bills?

If that was me, I'd do a good deed and donate 2/3's of it to The Human Fund.

I found 5 million but have 4 left because I just paypaled you some hush money. :-D

Nope have just thought about it before and thought I would ask.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:30 am

I would return it. Of course I'd be tempted to keep it - that's human nature. But it's not mine. I'd call the cops and let them figure it out.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 am

i'd hold onto it until i heard a news story about it and then return the $4.9M i found
last thing i would do is just blindly give it to the cops...for all i know it's money from a botched drug deal and they just let it sit in an eveidence locker until some crooked cop walks off with it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:last thing i would do is just blindly give it to the cops...for all i know it's money from a botched drug deal and they just let it sit in an eveidence locker until some crooked cop walks off with it

That's one of literally millions of explanations, and the least likely, but it's the one that gets trotted out whenever this conversation crops up as a way to justify keeping the cash.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 am

I'd go somewhere fancy for dinner...Like Denny's... :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:02 am

Id probably handle it similar to C4L and take the wait and see approach. As ling as it isn't for sick children/people and not from bank robbery finders keepers I say. If you are careless enough to drop a bag full of 5 million willy nilly then you don't really deserve it anyways.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am

If you are going to keep some, you definitely can't turn the rest in, because they will track you and your spending. So if you keep a million and turn in 4, they're going to wonder where the new Ferrari came from. I think you might be able to keep a mil and just drop the other 4 off at the mayor's office with a nice little note to the local news station as well. Typed. On common paper using common ink. :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 pm

I would keep it. I'd quit my job and buy a nice big boat. And then probably have to find a new job to pay for the upkeep on the boat. !+)

As tempted as I'd be to keep it, I'd probably be too worried over where it came from/what might happen if the person(s) who 'lost' it found out I had taken it. Paranoia courtesy of hollywood.

This conversations reminds me of the boat captains who would find drugs floating in the Florida straits... 5 bales of pot, each weighing 80 pounds, that's 400 pounds of weed. Notify the coast guard that ya just found 3 bales floating! and pay your boat off with the rest. That was pretty common. One of the captains that I worked for would make us videotape the bales floating along and subsequently slashing them open and sinking. He didn't want it being brought on board and didn't want to be accused of taking any. One of those bales coulda paid for my college and then some.

Actually, I'd buy the Lions, and spend the leftover money on WRs. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk