Return to Football Talk

2010 NFL Schedule release

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NFL Schedule

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 25, 2010 9:11 am

dream_017 wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:
I'm not sure this is going to change the fantasy season much (for me, at least) as I'm sure some teams will be heading into the playoffs regardless of the division games in week 17. At the very least I'd need to see a year before making the switch to a week 17 championship, but personally I'd hate to see something like that compromised by a few teams/players that won't play.

That seems to be the general belief by those who don't want to expand fantasy football into the 17th week- fear that a star player will be benched because his team has clinched and thus "taint" the fantasy championship.

I think that's bull. I've always treat the chance that Peyton or any Colt (and Brady when they were challenging the undefeated record) would be benched as a potential injury risk. Just like Westbrook in his heyday and Ronnie for the last few years, you know they'll put up monster numbers- then suddenly might not be available at a critical time. Same thing goes for vets on rebuilding teams late in the season- they need to see how the youngsters behind them perform as the evaluate the coming draft class. Taken one step further, it's like players who could put up big numbers if they could only get the start, like Miles Austin last year.

I treat a player's chance of being rested late in the season just like other who could suddenly be unavailable (injury, hot-shot bench player)- it's just another thing I weigh when I'm ranking players.

A week 7 injury costs you a week 7 victory....a week 17 resting player costs you a fantasy championship

No, it means he's not available. If you don't have the bench strength to account for that... And isn't a player injured week 7 who is subsequently put on IR also unavailable week 17? What about a player whose been benched for a hotshot FA/rookie?

In 2009, players injured earlier in the season were put on IR and unavailable week 17 (Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Welker), and players who had won a training camp battle but lost the starting spot during the season to or had decreased production because of a recent FA signee or draft pick (Shaun Hill, Donald Lee, Thomas Jones).

This year, the availability of Roy Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Eddie Royal, Matt Hasselbeck, AJ Feeley, Julian Edelman, Joseph Addai, Jabar Gaffney, Matt Moore, Jake Delhomme and Santana Moss late this season may all be affected by the acquisition of certain players in recent offseasons. Drafting these players comes with the same risk as drafting a player on a team with a history of resting.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Schedule

Postby dream_017 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am

Kareighuis wrote:
dream_017 wrote:A week 7 injury costs you a week 7 victory....a week 17 resting player costs you a fantasy championship

No, it means he's not available. If you don't have the bench strength to account for that... And isn't a player injured week 7 who is subsequently put on IR also unavailable week 17? What about a player whose been benched for a hotshot FA/rookie?

In 2009, players injured earlier in the season were put on IR and unavailable week 17 (Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Welker), and players who had won a training camp battle but lost the starting spot during the season to or had decreased production because of a recent FA signee or draft pick (Shaun Hill, Donald Lee, Thomas Jones).

This year, the availability of Roy Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Eddie Royal, Matt Hasselbeck, AJ Feeley, Julian Edelman, Joseph Addai, Jabar Gaffney, Matt Moore, Jake Delhomme and Santana Moss late this season may all be affected by the acquisition of certain players in recent offseasons. Drafting these players comes with the same risk as drafting a player on a team with a history of resting.

You don't know that a player will be injured or lose his starting spot....you DO know a player has a very good chance of resting week 17

An injured player in week 7 means that you have time to recover and pick-up a WW guy or use a bench spot. Again a week 17 means a starter for your team most likely that got you to week 17 isn't going to play and most likely cost you a Championship.

Let me in on your secret to knowing which players WILL get injured or which WILL lose a starting spot mid-season to a hotshot FA. It sounds like you know and can pick these guys out..it would be very helpful to the Cafe to be able to post that ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk