Wilson: Broncos 'panicked' with Tebow pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wilson: Broncos 'panicked' with Tebow pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wilson: Broncos 'panicked' with Tebow pick

Postby joejlitz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:40 am

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson denied that his team tried to trade back into the first round of the NFL draft to take Tim Tebow, and he even said the Denver Broncos "panicked" when they made their move for the Florida quarterback.

"He's a good player, but we had no interest in taking Tebow," Wilson said Friday, according to The Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester, N.Y. "We were not moving up to take Tebow."

But the Broncos did, acquiring the 25th overall pick from the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night in exchange for choices in the second (No. 43), third (No. 70) and fourth (No. 114) rounds. Denver then used its new selection to take Tebow.

Buffalo has quarterbacks Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm on its roster.

The Bills had the No. 9 pick and used it on Clemson running back C.J. Spiller, sparking rumors that former starter Marshawn Lynch is on the trading block. Bills general manager Buddy Nix denied that Thursday night, saying Lynch is "still ours, and we intend for him to be here."

Rest of Article: Nfl.com
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Wilson: Broncos 'panicked' with Tebow pick

Postby benb18a » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:15 am

That is megasuck for owners in keeper leagues that took a flyer on Lynch last year. They take a RB at #9 overall, and then admit they don't plan to trade him? :-t

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby da bears » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Tebow's ceiling as an NFL QB is Ryan Leaf.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 pm

da bears wrote:Tebow's ceiling as an NFL QB is Ryan Leaf.

Sorry...but ridiculous. I actually like Tebow and think he will be, at the very least, a serviceable QB because he is very smart and he is a winner. He is the kind of player who does what it takes to improve what he needs to and I think that he will probably sit this year out as they work and develop him and he could start the year following and I think he'll be quite a bit better than most people seem to want to think he will be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 am

mattb47 wrote:
da bears wrote:Tebow's ceiling as an NFL QB is Ryan Leaf.

Sorry...but ridiculous. I actually like Tebow and think he will be, at the very least, a serviceable QB because he is very smart and he is a winner. He is the kind of player who does what it takes to improve what he needs to and I think that he will probably sit this year out as they work and develop him and he could start the year following and I think he'll be quite a bit better than most people seem to want to think he will be.

I think serviceable is the right word ;-D

He is not going to fall on his face and he won't be a league MVP with multiple Super Bowl wins, but he can come in and get the job done.

He may be a bust in terms of what Denver did to get him :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby da bears » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:48 pm

No doubt he'll be a bust for what they gave up for him. I don't understand how he isn't that bad even though it is a horrible person to compare him to. His wind up is ridiculously long even after some adjustments, he isn't all that accurate, and he's never played under center until this off season work he got in. His throwing numbers in college came through the spread offense and the fact that his wr's/rb's got so much separation they were easy to hit. Now everyone is as fast as his wr's/rb's. Maybe I'm wrong cause yea he is a really hard worker but I've never been hired for a job on the assumption that I'll be able to handle it in 2 years so not sure what Denver saw in him that I didn't throughout his college career.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Stelly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Anyone from the Bills organization criticizing another team's draft is laughable to me.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I don't think McDaniels is going to survive the next two years...so who knows if he'll even be around to develop Tebow.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Word out of DEN is that McDaniels is going to sign Jamarcus Russel to mentor Tebow. ;-7
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby da bears » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:22 pm

no chance mcdaniels survives the next two years unless denver owners are extremely faithful. but hey they will have the best pre-game prayer reader in the league. I feel bad for broncos fans and I'm a bears fan...
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk