Taylor Mays pissed at Pete Carroll - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Taylor Mays pissed at Pete Carroll

Moderator: Football Moderators

Taylor Mays pissed at Pete Carroll

Postby joejlitz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 am

Of course, this is a business. But Mays' words are going to be perceived by some as fairly damaging.

RENTON, Wash. -- Friends and fans in Seattle weren't the only ones to notice that Pete Carroll didn't draft hometown hero Taylor Mays for the Seahawks.

"I definitely thought from the relationship that we have -- from the things that he had told me about what I needed to be, what the draft process is, things that I needed to do -- I felt he told me the complete opposite of the actions that he took, which was definitely alarming," Mays said Friday of his former coach at USC while on a conference call after the San Francisco 49ers chose him in the second round of the NFL draft.

Not only was the former star at Seattle's O'Dea High School miffed Carroll didn't draft him, Mays was further frustrated that the Seahawks instead drafted Texas safety Earl Thomas -- who is younger, less experienced and less familiar to Carroll.

"There were things he told me I needed to do as a football player versus the actions he took and who he took as a safety," Mays said. "I understand it's a business, but with it being a business, honesty is all I'm asking for."

Rest of Article: NFL.com
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Taylor Mays pissed at Pete Carroll

Postby mattb47 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:09 am

Sounds like someone needs to grow up...there are no "allegiances" or anything like that in a business like the NFL...they didn't pick him because he was not the best safety on the board, plain and simple.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 am

At least he gets to play Carrol a couple of times a year.

Reminds me of this classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dawGJDtHlcs
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:13 am

Bah...I wouldn't say he needs "growing up to do," he didn't say anything that bad. He feels he was misinformed and said so, he's hurt from a coach/friend relationship standpoint. I don't have a problem with him being peeved at Carrol at all. He acknowledged that this is indeed a business, but feels that his friend and mentor was not completely honest with him and said so. Not a big deal to me. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby biju » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Metroid wrote:Bah...I wouldn't say he needs "growing up to do," he didn't say anything that bad. He feels he was misinformed and said so, he's hurt from a coach/friend relationship standpoint. I don't have a problem with him being peeved at Carrol at all. He acknowledged that this is indeed a business, but feels that his friend and mentor was not completely honest with him and said so. Not a big deal to me. :-?

Well, what the hell is Pete Carroll supposed to say to him? If he tells him he's going to go undrafted or be the next president of the USA I'm not sure what in the world that is going to do. This kid was looking for Carroll to make him feel better and he did. Since Carroll is only collaborating to pick for one team I don't know why he's so grumpy. What does he want, Seattle to give him their draft strategy and tell him where they grade him?

I can see the case if he was talking about Carroll talking him into staying at USC for another year to "help" his draft stock, only to slide about an round later than he would have gone in 2009. But that's not what he said because he was talking about backpedaling and that was an issue brought up in 2010.

I can also see the case that he's mad that Carroll played him in a fashion that probably exposed him a little.

Ultimately, the kid is pissed because he didn't make as much money as he would have liked. Yes, Taylor Mays needs to grow up.

My only complaint at this moment is that we didn't draft LeGarrette Blount so he could punch this kid out when we next meet. }:-)
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:49 pm

He's peeved because he had a personal relationship with the now head coach of Seattle and he thought that he would help him stay in Seattle. It's not like he blew up and called Carrol a big jerk or anything. He said Carrol was dishonest with him. Again I don't see the big deal. If Seattle fans wanna use it as some fuel to not like him that's really unfortunate...considering he's a Seattle fan himself. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:09 pm

At least Carroll didn't tell him the truth, because he couldn't handle the truth. Carroll could have told him the truth: "I couldn't teach you to cover anyone in college, why would I think you'd learn how to for me in the pros?"

I love that Mays isn't pleased and doesn't hide it. Its refreshing. Makes me want to see if Mays can bring the anger to the field against Carrol's Seahawks.
Heck, if Carroll told him he'd draft him, it might have helped sway other teams to take the chance. Should be grateful.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 am

moochman wrote:At least Carroll didn't tell him the truth, because he couldn't handle the truth. Carroll could have told him the truth: "I couldn't teach you to cover anyone in college, why would I think you'd learn how to for me in the pros?"

I love that Mays isn't pleased and doesn't hide it. Its refreshing. Makes me want to see if Mays can bring the anger to the field against Carrol's Seahawks.
Heck, if Carroll told him he'd draft him, it might have helped sway other teams to take the chance. Should be grateful.

You want me on that wall! You need me on that wall!

I like his response, too. I like that it was critical, yet eloquent. I don't know what Carroll told him, but it appears Mays thinks he was misled.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Nfl Fan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:20 am

moochman wrote:"I couldn't teach you to cover anyone in college, why would I think you'd learn how to for me in the pros?"

:-?

Way Mays expecting to go at #14? Maybe he thought Seattle would trade up to get him? Odd. Regardless, I thought my 'Hawks had three great days!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
moochman wrote:"I couldn't teach you to cover anyone in college, why would I think you'd learn how to for me in the pros?"

:-?

Way Mays expecting to go at #14? Maybe he thought Seattle would trade up to get him? Odd. Regardless, I thought my 'Hawks had three great days!

I think the Hawks had the best draft. Congrats to Seattle fans. Just hope that Carroll fares better than he did in NY.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk