2010 Draft Review - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

2010 Draft Review

Moderator: Football Moderators

2010 Draft Review

Postby mattb47 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Round 1

18th Overall - Maurkice Pouncey - C/OG, Florida

Great pick for us getting a physical, interior offensive lineman to help our hopeful transition back to more of a power run focus. He'll be able to likely help us out at Guard instantly and transition to Center as needed. Just a good all around pick for our offensive line which has needed an upgrade for some time now.

Round 2

52nd Overall - Jason Worilds - DE/OLB, Virginia Tech

Extremely athletic pass rusher who played DE in college but will be yet another pass rushing OLB in our 3-4 defense. We didn't really have any depth to speak of after Harrison and Woodley and despite Harrison's late emergence, he's actually getting up there in age so he won't be able to do it forever. Worilds is a legitimate possibility to replace him once he's done and gives us some depth in the meantime.

Round 3

82nd Overall - Emmanuel Sanders - WR, Southern Methodist

Mike Wallace version 2? He's a bit smaller than Wallace but he's got incredible speed and quickness and is fearless over the middle. He also runs very crisp routes and has pretty good hands. He shouldn't have too much problem creating space in the passing game and this kind of player is a perfect fit for our offense.

Round 4

116th Overall - Thaddeus Gibson - DE/OLB, Ohio State

Pretty good value at this point in the draft...he had a 2nd or 3rd round value in most people's eyes and ended up dropping to us in the 4th where he's yet another signing for depth and special teams at OLB. Pretty good athlete and although he doesn't have the upside of Worilds, he should still be a solid player.

Round 5

151st Overall - Chris Scott - OT/OG, Tennessee

164th Overall - Crezdon Butler - CB, Clemson

166th Overall - Stevenson Sylvester - OLB, Utah

Round 6

188th Overall - Jonathan Dwyer - RB, Georgia Tech

I don't know much about most of the other later round pick guys but Dwyer was initially projected to be in the first couple of days but a weak combine performance and some other concerns dropped him lower...pretty good value pick here as he was a very productive runner...good power back who could help us out.

195th Overall - Antonio Brown - WR, Central Michigan

Round 7

242nd Overall - Doug Worthington - DT/DE, Ohio State

Overall, I really liked what we did in this draft and in free agency as a whole. We brought in key pieces where we needed them via free agency and trade by grabbing Larry Foote back along with Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle in free agency and then dealing for McFadden back today to help us at CB who will be a HUGE upgrade over what we had last season. I think that as long as we don't sustain any major injuries and we can play solidly without Big Ben to start the year, we can have a great season this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2010 Draft Review

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 am

Rookie free agents added:

Steelers add 8 undrafted free agents
By staff and wire reports
Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Steelers signed eight undrafted rookie free agents Monday, supplementing their 10-player draft class.

Among their newest acquisitions are 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive tackle Kyle Jolly of North Carolina, 6-3, 300-pound center/guard A.J. Trump from Miami (Fla.) and 6-2, 306-pound guard Dorian Brooks of James Madison.

Da'Mon Cromartie, a 6-2, 210-pound safety from UTEP, and Justin Thornton, a 6-1, 213-pound safety from Kansas, also agreed to terms with the Steelers.

Joining them was 6-4, 250-pound defensive end/outside linebacker Lindsey Witten of UConn, the younger brother of Buffalo Bills safety Donte Whitner.

The Steelers also added a fullback and defensive tackle to their roster with the signings of 6-foot, 273-pound Demetrius Taylor and 6-2, 301-pound Cordarrow Thompson. Taylor and Thompson were teammates at Virginia Tech along with second-round draft pick Jason Worilds.

Taylor played defensive tackle at Virginia Tech.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 78280.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Munboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 am

At first, I wasn't thrilled with the Steeler's draft day, but I stepped back and looked at it (I missed the 2nd-7th rounds because I was out of town for my wife's birthday). They did a lot to shore up depth. Pouncey should be plugged in day one at guard. A lot of depth at LB, which also should help out their special teams. They have depth at RB and WR. While McFadden is an upgrade from anything they had on the roster to start across from Taylor, I'm not terribly thrilled. I don't mind giving up the 5th rounder for him, but I hope he starts living up to some of his potential.

Upon further review, I think they did improve them the team. Solid depth picks, and using some of their picks to bring back McFadden upgrades the CB position and Leftwich to solidify QB for when Ben is sitting at home.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Welcome back stomperrob! ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm

The Lung wrote:Welcome back stomperrob! ;-D

Lol, thanx - I'm still around lurking in the weeds - just don't post much at all anymore, still active in a bunch of Cafe leagues though, couldn't give that up!!!
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Wow - I wish there were this many Eagles fans at the Cafe who knew where our team forum was. We might be able to run cool threads like this, too. :-L
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 pm

joejlitz wrote:Wow - I wish there were this many Eagles fans at the Cafe who knew where our team forum was. We might be able to run cool threads like this, too. :-L

Steeler Nation is made up of lifelong, diehard fans. Iggles fans, well - what can I say...

;-) :-b
stomperrob

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers