Colt McCoy to get splinters as a Rookie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colt McCoy to get splinters as a Rookie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colt McCoy to get splinters as a Rookie

Postby joejlitz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:49 pm

BEREA, Ohio -- The Colt McCoy Show won't open anytime soon in Cleveland.

With Browns fans already fired up by their team's third-round selection of McCoy, president and in-house quarterback savant Mike Holmgren said Saturday that there are no plans to play the Texas quarterback as a rookie.

Despite his pedigree, McCoy just isn't ready, and Holmgren won't force the quarterback on coach Eric Mangini.

Not yet, at least.

"He's not going to play this year," Holmgren said Saturday as he wrapped up his first Browns draft. "Things could change, but I don't expect him to play. We have three quarterbacks already here that we feel very good about. The best thing that might be able to happen to him is that he just sits, watches, learns and make the transition into the pro game."

McCoy might have other ideas, but the Browns, who scooped him up with the 85th overall pick, don't want to make a mistake with their potential franchise quarterback. Too often, Holmgren has seen rookie signal-callers suffer irreparable damage because they were prematurely shoved onto the field.

"You really run the risk of scarring the kid a little bit," Holmgren said.

Rest of Article: www.NFL.com
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colt McCoy to get splinters as a Rookie

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I think McCoy landed in a great spot. There are no threats ahead of him, and enough aging veterans to keep Colt off the field initially. Time to learn and adjust usually isn't afforded to rookie QBs with any name recognition. He can heal his foot, learn how the pro practice, playbooks, and demands are while he watches. Oh, and Holmgren has a pretty good track record growing QBs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm

moochman wrote:I think McCoy landed in a great spot. There are no threats ahead of him, and enough aging veterans to keep Colt off the field initially. Time to learn and adjust usually isn't afforded to rookie QBs with any name recognition. He can heal his foot, learn how the pro practice, playbooks, and demands are while he watches. Oh, and Holmgren has a pretty good track record growing QBs.

I agree completely. Well said. This is a good situation for him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
moochman wrote:I think McCoy landed in a great spot. There are no threats ahead of him, and enough aging veterans to keep Colt off the field initially. Time to learn and adjust usually isn't afforded to rookie QBs with any name recognition. He can heal his foot, learn how the pro practice, playbooks, and demands are while he watches. Oh, and Holmgren has a pretty good track record growing QBs.

I agree completely. Well said. This is a good situation for him.

McNabb got this luxury. Tim Couch and Akili Smith (same draft class) did not.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Football Talk