That Roger Goodell is a swell guy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

That Roger Goodell is a swell guy

Moderator: Football Moderators

That Roger Goodell is a swell guy

Postby joejlitz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 pm

joejlitz wrote:
DRAFT WINNERS
1. Roger Goodell -- The commish had quite a week. The league released a new and improved schedule Tuesday; Goodell received widespread praise for his decision to suspend Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday; and his three-day draft was such a success that he's considering taking it nationwide soon. Goodell presided over the event with his usual aplomb and clearly connected with the players (did Paul Tagliabue ever get bear hugs from the rookies?). And kudos to Goodell for looking after the players; when CB Brandon Ghee, invited to New York by the NFL, didn't get taken until the end of Round 3, Goodell (who'd relinquished pick-calling duties by that point) ensured he was back on the dais to announce Ghee's selection, whispered words of encouragement to him when he emerged from the green room and posed for pictures with the youngster.

Rest of Article: Other winners, losers from the NFL draft

Nice gesture by Goodell in handling Ghee.

yes - this thread was posted to get a rise out of you, mooch! :-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: That Roger Goodell is a swell guy

Postby Munboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am

Goodell is the best thing to happen to football since the forward pass.

hehe
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Sat May 01, 2010 10:27 am

Brace yourselves, here comes a curveball. I am not going to engage you guys here. I will not mention how the praise received from public punishment of a player is exactly what is feeding a misguided attempt to make the league appear more wholesome. Nor will I mention that the schedule would really be better if the last month was dedicated to interadivisional games. I'll ignore what seems again to be obvious pubicity ho-ing wtih Roger "Is the camera on?" Goodell during the draft, and not mention that the dope called a player a gorilla.
Even more shocking, I will say something positive about Goodell. I like that he is shoving it in the face of baseball. The NFL is king and its been too long that they have bowed to the mlb. The NFL will have Sunday night games during the World Series. Take that baseball.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bagobonez » Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Everyone praises him for his handling of Roethlisberger, but what about when Bill Belichick was caught CHEATING!??? How many games did Belichick get suspended? That's right, it's a nice round number, 0. But Cowboys QB coach Wade Wilson gets a 5 game suspension for using HGH to battle diabetes, even though that has no way of helping the Cowboys win games.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Munboy » Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 pm

bagobonez wrote:Everyone praises him for his handling of Roethlisberger, but what about when Bill Belichick was caught CHEATING!??? How many games did Belichick get suspended? That's right, it's a nice round number, 0. But Cowboys QB coach Wade Wilson gets a 5 game suspension for using HGH to battle diabetes, even though that has no way of helping the Cowboys win games.

Um...Both the Patriots and Belichick were fined monetarily. And the Pats lost draft picks...they WERE punished...
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Munboy wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Everyone praises him for his handling of Roethlisberger, but what about when Bill Belichick was caught CHEATING!??? How many games did Belichick get suspended? That's right, it's a nice round number, 0. But Cowboys QB coach Wade Wilson gets a 5 game suspension for using HGH to battle diabetes, even though that has no way of helping the Cowboys win games.

Um...Both the Patriots and Belichick were fined monetarily. And the Pats lost draft picks...they WERE punished...

Still, Belichick should have been suspended. Fine, schmine. And the Pats lost the 32nd overall pick, and they had a higher pick in Round 1 already. Not the same.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Sun May 02, 2010 9:00 am

bagobonez wrote:
Munboy wrote:

Still, Belichick should have been suspended. Fine, schmine. And the Pats lost the 32nd overall pick, and they had a higher pick in Round 1 already. Not the same.

Wilson gets 5 because he used a substance that is feared throughout sport. Nobody wants to get caught up in that. The NFL works very hard to make sure players don't fail steroid tests, so the thought of a PED that would stain the image of the league made the Wilson incident a perfect publicity stunt for the league. Belichik only cheated for years, winning titles, selling product, and generally helping the league make money. His slap on the wrist shows how the league cares about the image of the league in as much as it affects the revenue stream.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Munboy » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 am

I'm thinking maybe you should move into an RV out in the desert outside Roswell with Elvis and wear tin foil hats so "da man" can't find and probe you.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk