Cleveland run game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cleveland run game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cleveland run game

Postby bungle613 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Allright, so where does the drafting of Hardesty leave my poor hidden gem of James Davis for 2010? Most sites are already predicting Harrison and Hardesty with a fairly even split. Is Davis just out of the picture unless he lights it up again in preseason? I believe Davis is a better back than Hardesty and we all know Harrison won't last half a season. Will you target one or all of these guys in some capacity or just stay far far away?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cleveland run game

Postby biju » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

I think the first thing you need to do is step back from comparing Harrison and Hardesty to James Davis. James Davis is more of a power north-south runner and is certainly built that way. He doesn't have the straight line speed or moves that either of the former two backs do.

The big "concern" over Harrison has been durability so the Browns will keep him out of the rough stuff and limiting his overall usage so he's fresh all year. It's a popular trend right now in the NFL. Obviously this is just an opinion, but I would expect Davis to fill more of a short yardage/goal line role this year while Harrison and Hardesty get a majority of the touches between the 10s with Mangini likely riding the hot hand.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm holding off on all speculation until the preseason where injuries and performance may make the picture clearer. But I do hope that Davis becomes the clear cut back in CLE. I rode him for a bit last year and liked what I got.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Wenchtamer » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 am

Cleveland spent a second rounder (and traded up) for Hardesty, so you know he will be in the mix. Harrison looked good at times and he will defintely be in the mix as well. James Davis would be the odd man out here. Davis will probably only get 5 touches a game as long as everyone is healthy.

Another thing to consider is that Mangini doesn't appear to like Harrison for whatever reason. When Jamal Lewis shut down, they even tried to run Chris Jennings over Harrison. Now they have a guy they actually paid for and they are going to want to use.

My guess would be:
60% Hardesty
30% Harrison
10% Davis
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 am

For the time being, I will:

bungle613 wrote:stay far far away?

Obviously things have a while to work themselves out, but I don't like the situation or perspective situation in the CLE running game
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby portisfan24 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I honestly can't predict who is going to win the competition or how the carries will be distributed. However, it is definately something to keep any eye on. I think the Browns will be greatly improved this season, so whoever their lead horse is will definately be worth consideration as an RB2.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri May 07, 2010 7:30 pm

portisfan24 wrote:I honestly can't predict who is going to win the competition or how the carries will be distributed. However, it is definately something to keep any eye on. I think the Browns will be greatly improved this season, so whoever their lead horse is will definately be worth consideration as an RB2.

No question something the bears keeping a close eye on. The Browns run game has had some very productive games in the past and if a Harrison, Hardesty, or even Davis emerge as a primary back they will produce good numbers for their draft slot.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:45 pm

moochman wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:I honestly can't predict who is going to win the competition or how the carries will be distributed. However, it is definately something to keep any eye on. I think the Browns will be greatly improved this season, so whoever their lead horse is will definately be worth consideration as an RB2.

No question something the bears keeping a close eye on. The Browns run game has had some very productive games in the past and if a Harrison, Hardesty, or even Davis emerge as a primary back they will produce good numbers for their draft slot.

I think it is probably a combination of things of why I am questioning what will happen.

1) I like Davis alot. I grabbed him in most dynasties last year.
2) I don't trust Harrison at all to be even close to healthy all year.
3) Hardesty is overrated imo and is only ranked highly based on his situation.

Those are my 3 main issues and I am still surprised Cleveland just handed the RB2 slot to Hardesty.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Fri May 07, 2010 9:44 pm

bungle613 wrote:
moochman wrote:

I think it is probably a combination of things of why I am questioning what will happen.

1) I like Davis alot. I grabbed him in most dynasties last year.
2) I don't trust Harrison at all to be even close to healthy all year.
3) Hardesty is overrated imo and is only ranked highly based on his situation.

Those are my 3 main issues and I am still surprised Cleveland just handed the RB2 slot to Hardesty.

That's the second time you've mentioned that you expect Harrison to not be healthy all year. Maybe my memory is bad, but when has he been injury prone?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 pm

As fa as I know Harrison is about as healthy as any of the other 2 backs, so I have to agree with biju here, where does that come from?

Harrison is no slouch, I mean his one highlight thus far in the NFL is the Jim Brown record breaking day, but look at his limited college stats, they are eye popping.

Transfered to Washington State and played his junior and senior years there. Was behind starter Chris Bruhn in 2004, but basically took over the lead by seasons end. Ended 2004 with 900 yards rushing, this after starting the season with 23 carries for 71 yards in the first 4 games. Then broke out the last 3 games of the year, going for 90 carries, 515 yards and 4TDs. To say the least he was the RB1 coming into his senior year and responded in a big, big way. Kid went off in 2005, 308 carries, 1900 yards and 16TDs.

Gotta give him some kind of props, he did break the Pac-10 record of most consecutive 100-yard games with 16, set the Cougar single season rushing record with the 1900yds and led the NCAA in rushing yards in 2005. Hes a tough, compact runner that has the skill set to succeed, and he showed that at times last year. But yeah the injury deal I think is blowin smoak somewhere.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk