The Perfect League - New Start - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

The Perfect League - New Start

The Perfect League - New Start

Postby Kafka » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey,
I'm a great fan of Fantasy-Football and had some nice season with Standard-Keeper-Leagues but now I want to take it a step further and want to join/create a IDP league.
I know that IDP-leagues are for the hardcore/expert fantasy-players, I'm definitly not an expert but I like the idea of the scoring defense better than stick with a whole DFS-team.

What settings should a good IDP-League offer?
-Scoring
-Roster Size
-Position (WR/RB, QB/QB, WR/TE...)
-How many teams
-Rules (Keeper, Trade, Aqui.,...)
-Draft-type

What are your experiences?

thanks for your input.

I KNOW ITS VERY EARLY BUT I MUST BE PREPARED :-o
Kafka
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Perfect League - New Start

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Honestly, alot of it depends on how in depth you want to make it and how knowledgeable of owners you anticipate having or trying to get.

Scoring is pretty standard normally, usually looks something like this:
Solo Tackle - 1 pt
Assisted Tackle - .5 pt
Turnovers - 2 pt
Sacks - 2 pt
TDs - 6 pt

There are others and some variations with the points depending on what you want to emphasize...I recommend tackles being more dominant just so that there is some sort of consistency and predictability as otherwise it becomes more of a crapshoot from week to week.

How many starters depends completely on what you want...I've seen anything from just 2 or 3 IDP players that could be any position to having a full defensive lineup of 9 players in different "formations". One I see a lot is having 2 of each position (DL, LB, DB) or even DL, DL/LB, LB, LB/DB, DB type of setup. It all depends on how in depth you want to go as the more players you have to start, the more people have to know about defensive players and the harder it gets.

If you give an idea of the kind of league you were envisioning, I can probably give you a bit more specific advice as it's very broad right now.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kafka » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:59 am

thanks for the fast reply-
I want a deep IDP league with almost realistic roster (but a little smaller for fantasy purpose)
I think about a 12 Team League:
1 Team-QB (max.2)
2 RB (max.3)
3 WR (max.5)
1 TE (max.2)
a 4-3 Defense
2 DT (max.4)
2 DE (max.4)
3 LB (max.5)
2 CB (max.4)
2 S (max.4 )

1 Kicker (max.2)
1 Punter (max.2)
No Team-Defensive / Special Team (?)
7 Bench (maybe 12+ would be better...)
2 IR
=27/ 19 Starters
A great problem that I have is the roster-size and the Bench-spots. A team roster size would be 27x12 = 324 players and I don't know if it's too much (with 10-team =270 players on roster).
Are 3 WR too much? Should I allow max. 4 RB (2 Starters) or 3 starting RBs (and 5 RB-spots)...
I hate it, when the FA-pool is empty and you have less room to improve.
Can I say- more roster spots = lesser owners?
Another issue would be the balance- I know it comes with the scoring system but the Roster-Settings are important.

I find it pretty hard to get a balanced point-system in Fantasy Football- I tried last season with an unique scoring system but failed big time cause no one wanted to join.
I have read that RBs have an advantage in fantasy scoring
"The most common scoring used is 1 point per 10 yards rushed or received, 1 point per 25 yards passing, 6 point touchdowns except passing is 4 points but include negatives for interceptions.[...]
At a glance, you can see that the runningbacks are the most valuable followed closely by quarterbacks.
The tight ends are relatively worthless, as are the defenses and the placekickers.[...].
"http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/03phs.php

Scoring Settings:
http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/resources/help/content?name=scoring-settings-custom
Kafka
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mattb47 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 am

I don't think that I would go quite to the extent you're trying to with 11 IDP starters. One league I'm in has 9 and even that is reaching a pretty high limit for even the most knowledgeable of people on IDPs. I do like what we did in that league though as we required 9 starters but we had different formations they could choose from...such as 3-3-3 (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB), 3-4-2, etc. I don't think it's a good idea to distinguish further between DEs and DTs or CBs from Safeties...it would just be further complicating the issue and most fantasy sites don't distinguish anyway which means you would have to police it on your own.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kafka » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:50 am

A 3-3-3 sounds good.

After a little research my settings for now are:
12 Teams
Roster Size: 22
1 TQB
2 RB
2 WR
1 RB/WR
1 TE
2 DL
2 LB
2 DB
1 UDP
7 Bench
1 IR

Scoring:
QB
Every 25 passing yards 1
TD Pass (PTD) 4
INT -2
2pt Passing 2
RB
Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) 1 TD Rush (RTD) 6
40+ yard TD rush bonus (RTD40) 3 50+ yard TD rush bonus (RTD50) 4
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2
WR
Every 10 receiving yards (REY10) 1 Each reception (REC) 1
TD Reception (RETD) 6 40+ yard TD rec bonus (RETD40) 3
50+ yard TD rec bonus (RETD50) 4 2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2
Kicking
Each PAT Made (PAT) 1 Total FG Missed (FGM) -1
FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3 FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4
FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 5
Defensive Players
Each Sack (SK) 4 Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6
Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6 Each Interception (INT) 4
Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 3 Each Fumble Forced (FF) 3
Each Safety (SF) 4 Assisted Tackles (TKA) 1
Solo Tackles (TKS) 2 Passes Defensed (PD) 1
Misc
Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6 Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6
Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6 Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2
Kafka
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bungle613 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 am

Go over to FF Today and you can set up scoring and see how it comes out based on last years stats. You look a little heavy on the IDP scoring. You may also want to increase your bench size a bit. Carrying only 7 on the bench for that many starters will but a huge emphasis on the waiver wire.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kafka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, it's a good idea to increase the Bench-spots - maybe 10-12 will work in a 12 team league.

Okay, I will try to make a demo of my stats and will tweak the scoring system.

I made an account on FFToday and set-up my scoring system in the "Crank Scores" -but I don't understand it.
e.g.
I have the QB: A.Rodgers -what does Elite >=20.32, #1 >=15.42, #2 >=11,24, Subpar <11.24 mean?
Crank Scores rank the consistency of a player (Crank = Consistency-Rank). - so what exactly is measured? I have Chris Johnson with a 69.77 Crank and Ronnie Brown with 28.67 Crank. Is 100 Crank the best and in what relation?
Sry for those Q but (see sig)

thx for your reply
Kafka
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby tmoney26 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm

As the commissioner of a year old IDP league I might make this one suggestion. If your site allows it I would think about using an optimal lineup setting. I had owners who were very new to IDP leagues and I think this helped them break into without having to be online trying to find out IDP injury situations. You may find these are much harder to find than the offensive players. Plus with 15-16 starters it can be daunting. I actually planned to do it for a year to see how it went but everyone was happy with how it worked so we are sticking with it. Just a thought.
tmoney26
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)

Postby tmoney26 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Also I would even maybe suggest 2-3-2 format. LB's are your RB's of the defense and will get the most points. DL and DB are wildly inconsistent apart from the elite. Safeties are generally the only consistent point scorers of the DL/DB group. This was another reason we used the optimal scoring.
tmoney26
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Kafka » Thu May 13, 2010 12:37 pm

thanks for the response - thoughts are welcome :)

how does your optimal lineup setting looks like? can you post your settings/scoring? how does your stats look like?
I can select a Standard-Scoring for my league.

A simple start in IDP would be appreciated - especially from the LM
you have 2 DL, 3 LB and 2 DB?
Kafka
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to IDP